1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

EA Sports adds female characters to NHL 12 video game

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Speed_Gibson, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi :)

Where is that Like x 100 button?

That news really makes my day :)

3. I want them to do this with EA Rugby 2012. That would be so sweet.

There are both men's and women's teams in International Rugby. I was/never will be good enough to be an Eagle, but am lucky enough to have played with a few Eagles on my Collegiate team. I think it would be fun to at least pretend I played for the Eagles even if I have to use a game console.

I may not be Sharon Blaney or Stacey Bridges, but I could probably beat them in EA Rugby.

4. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Hm.

I'm sorry, but have you guys seen the difference in gameplay/speed/power between male and female rugby teams?

I've lived in Australia for a while, and I have. Huge bloody difference.

On a sidenote, I believe the same to apply in the tennis world. Sure, the females' short skirts are nice to look at while they are slightly bent over, waiting for the first serving to be made... or Sharapova's ridiculous moans. That's about it, though.

5. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

So? should we only let the toughest and strongest and most powerful play sport? I don't think lesser amounts of these things takes away from the contest between 2 evenly matched teams.

6. Remixer

Don't twist my words. It isn't, and was never, my belief that there shouldn't be any female rugby teams, or tennis players.

I'm simply highlighting the difference between the two, with male rugby teams playing at a much higher level. From then on it's the entertainment factor, which is also higher when watching male rugby teams, and it certainly doesn't have to do with them being male just like me.

Of course, sisterhood is all nice and shiny, but why the fanfare that female teams were added to a game? Is it another "victory" for gender equality? Flower power?

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Who the hell has to twist words, Dr. Misogyny? C'mon, now.

What a kneeslapper, women playing sports. How dare they.

I mean, hell... next thing you know they're gonna wanna vote.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as bored and turned-off by the WNBA as the next heterosexual middle class white male, but those women have every right to play ball. Unless, of course, you're down with the idea that the pursuit of happiness should only apply to royalty and land-owning males.

8. Remixer

Seriously, where on earth are you guys getting the idea from that I'm denying their right to play sports, whether amateur or professional?

9. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

MMA is the sport I follow
    My tai chi teacher was female and for years we'd be seen every Sunday knocking spots off each the Green outside the church. After the congregation got used to it, the tea-in-the-graveyard brigade would choose which side they wanted to sit on depending on whether it was cricket or fighting that floated their boats.

Throughout most of my teens, I had brilliant 'wrestling friendship' with a female friend. We were not unaware of our gender difference, and made appropriate adjustments.

Kim Winslow (female) is taller than most of the male MMA referees. After a very brief 'Ah! A Female referee!' Her presence ceased causing comment and she is effectively refereeing fights at all weight classes. Google it and the general view is that it was an 'About Time Too' thing. A simple rectification of something which had slipped people's attention for a long time.

Similarly in the article cited by the OP, I love the reaction of David Littman, the lead producer of the company’s NHL game.“Lexi’s letter was a wake-up call,” Mr. Littman told the Globe and Mail. “Here’s a growing audience playing our NHL game and we hadn’t done anything to capture them.”

Remixer, you shared elsewhere that though you had a good childhood, you witnessd and were appalled by what sounds like a feminist backlash ... an over-reaction which led to girls being princessified and boys being subordinated, resulting in much emotional damage. I share your sense of wrongness at that.

I know this, because in the other thread, I asked if you would help me build a bridge to your world, and you kindly did. In my words above, I am trying to begin to build' this side of a similar bridge. I'm not asking you (in this thread) to cross it and set up home here. I am asking if you can see how, in a world where anti-sexism does not necessarily subordinate men, it is fully natural for some of us to do what you call a Fanfare? As you know, I, too, am doing a happy dance; I do not like some of your positions. Indeed, to me, it makes sense that some people will growl and snarl when they hear them. I confess that when I read your post my inner reaction was "Whaat?!" and "Can he be serious?" I hope it makes sense that might sound to you as rudeness or personal affront is a genuine cry of indignation and horror, even as your indignation was not veiled.

And a general conclusion: More recently, I have, in my mind a strong memory Kim Couture - female MMA fighter - continuing the fight with a broken jaw. To me that is magnificently Badass or Stupidass whatever the sex.

Different genders and different weight-classes generate different fighting styles. Two matched welterweights or heavyweights of either sex, unless they are crap, are going to demonstrate magic. And I'd also like to see female characters in the MMA game "UFC Undisputed", which comes out in Jan2012.

10. Remixer

The amount of psychoanalyzing me and coming to weak conclusions in this thread is stupendous.

Let me tell you a story:

Now let me tell you another thing. I am a huge proponent of absolute fairness, where sex, race, religion and preference have no influence on decisions. In fact, I am more so than the vast majority of people in general and on this forum as well.

Me talking against overdoing things just because it has become fashionable to be so very pro-woman in every aspect in life does not come from me being jaded by a multitude of childhood experiences where I was discriminated against.

If you're going to psychoanalyze me and come to wide-reaching conclusions on my personality and statements, at least have the decency to do it right. No good analysis comes from a few things the subject tells another person on a forum. Jumping to conclusions doesn't do anybody any good.

EDIT: Another thing, I rarely get pissed off (except when I'm here in Kabul, but for different reasons) and a wrong assumption about me certainly doesn't get me there. I hope you take what I wrote to heart and that you have a clearer picture of me from now on.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hey, that's great... but jackass comments about female tennis players' skirts and moaning doesn't really bolster your whole pro equality argument.

Or were you just kidding?

12. Remixer

Nope, I really believe that is all that the female professional tennis world has deteriorated to. I used to watch every single Australian Open from 2004 till 2008 and as a whole I found the men's singles matches much better in speed and technique than the women's.

How my opinion on the current state of the professional tennis world lets you make a judgment on my pro-equality thinking, I have absolutely no idea. I really dislike the constant division of men and women in sports. That, to me, is truly degrading to them. I'd much prefer, if both sexes competed for the same thing on an entirely even basis.

13. uhhh.....It's a video game..... Are you going to say that there is a difference between male gamers and female gamers? There's also a pretty big difference between female hockey players and male hockey players. All the girl wants is to see on screen what she sees on the ice.

I live in the US and I've PLAYED rugby...for 10 years now. I ran drills with the men's team and scrummed down against them. Sorry it's not a national team, but I do know the difference.

I don't care about tennis...so nothing to add here.

Once again...it's a VIDEO GAME!

14. Remixer

Really, ZombieSquirrel? I'll repeat it again: I am not saying there shouldn't be female teams on a bloody video game, or in amateur and professional sports leagues.

All I was trying to point out is the fanfare all of you are making about it in a VIDEO GAME. EDIT: And the issue just grew from there, because select people make completely unrelated and time-wasting conclusions from what I said.

Bloody hell.

15. I still have no clue why you made the original comment then....... You knew it would have opened you up to such discussion. Sorry you felt attacked, but maybe you should be more clear.

16. Remixer

Actually, I didn't anticipate so much discussion in a completely wrong direction.

Please forgive my response to you. I thought you read my clarifications above when you made your comment.

17. No worries.....
    /angsty feminist

Now back to VIDEO GAMES! To be honest.....if I were to make a female rugby player with EA, she'd look like a dude anyway.

18. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I don't normally like stories about EA, but this was a pretty inspiring story. I like that they're using Lexi as the default girl player.

Another video game franchise is adding a female player to their roster. Gears of War 3, a third-person action shooter, will let you play as a woman now, too.

When a video game lets you choose between the sexes, I pick the female first to play through. I've found them to be a quicker player, usually.

19. In Super Mario Brothers 2, I always played as Princess Peach. I don't think she was the first female character you could play as. Does anyone know who it was?

Not Lara Croft.....hmmm. Wasn't there a lady street fighter?

20. Remixer

In Borderlands my fiancée picked the female character and it's much faster than mine.

Though, I've generally made the experience that the guys who pick female characters do it for nothing but to confuse and troll other players by presenting themselves as some teenage woman.

EDIT: Or, when it's a third-person game like Lara Croft, to have a good look at her digital tits, as all of my friends and I did when we were 11/12.

--- merged: Sep 13, 2011 6:24 PM ---
    Looks like it's Ms. Pac-Man.

http://evvy09.hubpages.com/hub/The-First-Two-Female-Video-Game-Heroines