1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Embarrassment and apologies

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Street Pattern, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

All these years, I have been pronouncing "Wicomico" incorrectly.

(It's the name of a county and a river in Maryland.)

I just found out the correct way to say it.

Oops.

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Did you have your mother laugh at you for pronouncing butte as butt while reading? Because I did.

3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Because I read well over my age and experience, there were many words I knew the meaning of by context but made up the the pronunciation with phonics.
    I quickly learned not to try and put them into a conversation because I was guaranteed to look like an idiot.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm occasionally embarrassed by mispronunciations. I've spent much more time reading than I have watching TV & movies or conversing with others. This means I'll sometimes place the wrong emphasis on a word. I remember one of my earliest ones was pronouncing the word gauge as "ɡɔːdʒ" or "gôj" (same first sound as gauze) instead of "ɡeɪdʒ" or "gāj" (rhymes with rage).

There are still words that I sometimes forget to pronounce properly even if I've learned otherwise, like it's been hardwired since my youth. I also have this problem where I'll change my mind mid-sentence and say the wrong word or word form. This is a result, I think, of being so introverted. My thoughts run rampant, but when I try to verbalize, things can become quite awkward.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

That's alright, I did "hyperbole" as hyper-bole. (instead of hy-pur-buh-lee)
    My nephew had to correct me.

But as a politician @StreetPattern ...you have an extra burden, as people & media have the unrealistic expectation that leaders be perfect verbally.

I could never be president as my mom said I could...I make too many mistakes verbally. :oops:
    I'll just have to be satisfied with being ultra-rich & successful, "quiet money" (although I know I'm not quiet...)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'm still that way. I read a lot, but don't get out that much to hear many of the words that I read. Yes, I know that decent dictionaries include pronounciation guides, and there's always the internet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. omega

omega Very Tilted

How come the entire English nation can't learn to pronounce aluminum? There is only one i in the word. We didn't all misprounce nuclear just because our idiot in chief couldn't pronounce it. I was like redravin, using words in conversation that I didn't know how to pronounce. Like hors d'oeuvres.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I don't see human verbal errors as a big deal--especially with proper names that you can't look up in the online dictionary. I'm smart and I learn the meanings of words but when they pop into my head and I utilize them I can and do mispronounce them. As long as someone gently corrects me--it is no big deal. Not to derail the thread, but there are regional differences too that sound "wrong" but you'll never convince the folks living there that they are.

How about JFK pronouncing Cuba as Cuber?

Here in my adopted Midwest, often settled by German folks, how would you pronounce the street Kirchoff? Kirk-off, Kirch-off, Kirk-ov? My Android street finder says Kirk-off.
    I used to live on Rohlwing Rd. Inevitably, newcomers call it Roll-wing Rd. It is not called that by the locals, rather it is Rolling Rd.
    Finally, in the early years, I was a big fan of the X-Files but I had no idea how to pronounce the leading man, David Duchovny's, last name. This was pre-Internet. After about 3 years, I finally heard him introduced: Duke-cuhv-ny. I was thinking Duh-chuv-ny. Not even close.

9. TheSurgeOn

TheSurgeOn Getting Tilted

There are two 'spellings' (aluminum as you say) and aluminium which corresponds with the spelling of other elements eg helium, deuterium, uranium, actinium etc. There are no elements * that end in only 'um', no lithum, no calcum or sodum. If it were spelled correctly there would be no confuson.

Go Americium!

* Of course there are always molybdenum, lanthanum and platinum which don't help my argument one little bit.:(

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  10. rogue49

Well, first let's get real...just because something is mispronounced or misspelled or the grammer/syntax is incorrect,
    does NOT mean what is being said is wrong or not worthwhile.

However, humans tend to leap on mistakes.
    Absurdly thinking that just because one minor things is incorrect...then all of it is incorrect or void... (**See the error? Is what is being said bad now?? :eek: )

Then you've got those who are "anal" about it...so they focus on the error.
    Or even worse, those who play "gotcha" with it...and use it to mock or bully vs. you.

If people could remember to ignore the minor mistakes...so MUCH more valued would be heard and learned.
    Humans are a sad bunch of fools.

Yet we somehow build and strive forward...let's hear it for the heroes.
    Those who pay attention & understand true value and even act on it. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's because most countries use the aluminium spelling. The aluminum spelling is mainly North American. So it's not just England.

12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Aluminium makes me think UK Top Gear immediately. I love it. And use it. People look at me like I'm nuts. But, I do what I want !

• Like Like x 2
  13. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Sorry but you are wrong.

XD I'm into wrong shaming now since all the other ones I've been shame shamed from. XD

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

You say 'erbs', and we say 'herbs', because there's a fucking 'H' in it! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

What? We say "erbs" here.

I think Col. Sanders' oft-repeated "eleven erbs and spices" has pretty much wiped out hard-h "herbs".

When I was a kid in mid-Michigan, one of our two TV channels frequently announced that it had "transmitting facilities in Onondaga." They said it like this: "on-un-DAY-ga".

Southern Michigan got most of its place names from upstate New York. The Onondagas were one of the tribes of the Iroquois confederation, which formerly held that territory. No surprise, there's a county there named Onondaga. It's a pretty important one, too -- it contains Syracuse and almost half a million people.

But when I went to grad school at Cornell, I learned that the New York county was pronounced "on-un-DAHHG-uh".

Presumably that is closer to the way the Iroquois said it.

But to my ear, it sounded so affected. Like "toe-MAHH-toe".

16. omega

omega Very Tilted

Fine. Pe-can pie or pe-con pie?

As far as British pronunciations, you pronounce jaguar with three syllables instead of two. Do you also pronounce labour with three syllables?

17. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I say herbs and 'erbs, meself.
    Also, some guidos in New Jersey have started calling people Herbs as an insult.
    Not sure if it's spelled the same, though, as I've only heard it on XboxLive.

18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Pee-kahn. Pffft.

19. TheSurgeOn

TheSurgeOn Getting Tilted

The US is on it's own for many spelling and pronounciation tasks, which is fine, it makes for a dynamic language.

There can still be confusion in 'blighty' over pronounciation which we find very amusing.

20. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The funny thing is, it wasn't all that long ago (few hundered years or so) that spelling was not codified. You can look at some manuscripts where the same word is spelled a few different ways, sometimes in the same paragraph.

Pronunciation is similar but it's more regional.

Think about rhyming dictionairies and New Zealand accents vs US accents. You need a whole different set of rhyming words.

• Like Like x 1