1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Face & Form

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by kramus, Jul 22, 2012.

1. kramus

kramus what I might see

I'm currently pulling together files in order to update my website galleries and ran across some drawings I've never shared anywhere before. Thought I'd create a thread where I post the occasional portrait drawing or figure drawing or sketch of a person or whatever. Drawings wot I did do myself.

Understand I am not anal about measurement and therefore choose to interpret my malformed/disproportionate drawings as having character and individuality as opposed to a repository of flaws and poor artistic choices.

17"x 24" pad - graphite, pencils & colour pencils - 2 hour sessions

Amanda Reclining
    Amanda Reclining adj 800 size.jpg

Betty Reclining
    Betty Reclining adj 800 size.jpg

Zoe Seated
    Zoe Seated adj 800 size.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

I really like Amanda's left knee (or rather, your rendition of said knee).

3. kramus

kramus what I might see

Sarah 22" x 17" 2 hour pose. I seem to notice proportion waaay to late. My bad.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I think you're doing some magnificent work with cross-hatching and, in echo of Arkana, think you've caught Sarah's right knee beautifully.

I'm trying to get my inner eyes into how you are seeing. The way you represent light striking surface to give shadows and highlights is working so well. Similarly, each body-part is typically in great proportion with itself. Proportion of individual hands with themselves .. .yes.

I've not done much life-drawing. Mainly landscape and nature water colours. I was a model for a life-drawing/painting class for four years, therefore my comments are based on what I learnt from that position as my friend R.I.P. Melanie Becker went around the class.

I think your 'My bad' is well responded to by "I seem to notice proportion waaay to late. "

It's gotta be a case of not noticing it rather than not being able to represent it - I mean, your structure and proportions of bits is so good. What needs to happen to notice it sooner? How would your drawing experience be different if you notice proportion waaay Sooner? Would anything get lost? If you took too long to dive into the detail, might something get lost? If you did a ghostlike sketch of the rest of the room around the woman so the woman is just a small detail in the room ... and you draw her basic form like you drew those beautiful hands? Not necessarily REALLY draw the surrounding room .... but have a sense of it so the WHOLE woman is a small detail in an overall Bigger picture .... like those hands or that knee are, themselves Small details in the overall bigger picture contained by the woman's outline.

Hmmmm .. .do you use pencil as measuring rod ... holding it at constant length from your eye as you scale down lengths you see onto the paper? Piece of string attached to rod, then knotted at the right length for the model's distance and the paper to be used ... so knot gets held against nose when making measurements.

The above is well-meant. Not totally ignorant, but definitely not a speciality of mine. If it's any use to you, then I'm relieved.

In any case, Well Done, and I am seeing all the good bits and appreciating them and the work you've put in to achieve them. And looking forward to your next work.

:)

5. kramus

kramus what I might see

Thanks Zen for your thoughtful response. I use a pencil for measure & lining up. I stand back from the drawing regularly. And I try to have the whole thing laid out before getting in to it. Some how the odd bits only become apparent to me when I see the drawing on the computer screen. Which is waaaay too late :D I decided a while ago that with these more truncated sessions my art club now offers I'm generally going to do what I like (working the surfaces) and hope my proportions have been laid out sufficiently well to justify the time and effort spent. I guess I'm saying I'm aware my work is often flawed, but I do enjoy the process and still enjoy sharing from time to time.

As a side note - I do wish more TFPers would show-share their drawing/painting/sculpture/fabric work as well as the photo/digital work which is so popular. /me feels lonely :(

6. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

I like your drawings kramus they are peaceful and give an observer "calm".

I use mostly ink, and use my emotions. I attached just a few. I can't draw people so well, so I keep with what makes me feel good.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356822482.326721.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356822543.269810.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356822597.312451.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356822659.184626.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  7. kramus

kramus what I might see

Thanks Freetofly, for the words & the share both. I'm thinking I ought to start a random share thread & see if anything shows up . . .

8. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

i sketched as a kid but i lost the patience to take it back up so instead do photography but you have the gift of sketching kramus so keep up the good work ;)

9. Freetofly

[ ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359421661.199498.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359421681.906675.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The beginning of another. Will add as I go along.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Freetofly

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367944476.942645.jpg

Seek and you shall see!

• Like Like x 2