1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Falling Asleep at Weird Times or in Weird Places

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by snowy, Feb 19, 2015.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I had an MRI today. Despite the noise, I fell asleep. It wasn't until that the little sled started scooting out of the tunnel that I woke with a start. Whoops.

I've also fallen asleep during dental procedures, the most notable a root canal. My dentist was amazed. I guess most patients are too nervous to fall asleep. I blame yoga for my ability to fall asleep in this kind of situation. I just focus on my breathing, clear my mind, and fall asleep.

What I find amazing, though, is that I can't fall asleep at night sometimes. WTF.

How about you?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I used to often take naps in my car during my lunch break 10-12 years ago. I was burning the candle too much at both ends, often going to bed at 1AM and getting up at 5:30AM.

I have fallen asleep in an MRI, as you did.

In high school we used to have a warning bell one minute before the end of each class. I specifically remember my Accounting class Junior year our teacher would often give us class time to work on the exercises. I usually finished well before class ended, and would put my head down and nap after that. Many, many times I would wake up to the warning bell, then fall back asleep AND DREAM before the second bell. :p

Sometimes I'll lay back in the tub during a shower, and I've nodded off a time or two like that.

But in general, I'm not a random sleeper.

3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I fall asleep during MRIs too but that's mostly because I've had so many of them.
    Never fallen asleep at the dentist but I have a real problem staying awake on long drives or if I'm coming home from work in a car.
    I tried selling Jadzia the line that it meant I trusted her as a driver so much that I could go to sleep, she never fell for it.

4. snowy

I rarely fall asleep in cars. Don't tell my husband, but I sometimes pretend to be asleep on long car rides with his parents.

• Like Like x 1
  5. redux

redux Very Tilted

Does "nodding off" count?

Occasionally on the Metro on the way home from work.

Once at a White House briefing sitting in the back row in the Indian Treaty Room (very stuffy on a hot day) and I was supposed to write an article about the briefing. I had to ask the White House IGR guy to email me his remarks.

6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Unless I'm completely exhausted, I don't fall asleep in vehicles or public areas.
    Too much stimulation.

Then again, I don't need a bed...so I can fall asleep even with a simple jacket under my head on the floor.

7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Sleeping at night is weird, those are prime work hours. Wait a minute, not everyone finishes their shift at 0700ish?

8. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Do you snore? Are you tired a lot of the time? And/or does your sleep not feel restful or refreshing?

I ask because I have sleep apnea, and what prompted me to finally get diagnosed and treated for it, despite having known for many years I was a loud snorer, was that I was tired all the time, and was falling asleep in rabbinical school classes, at dinner, or at random other times.

If any of that sounds familiar to you, do a sleep study. Once I got diagnosed, I got prescribed a CPAP breathing assist machine, and it changed my life.

9. snowy

Nope. I track my sleep pretty religiously using Sleep as Android. I get decent sleep, and I only snore when I have a cold.

I just get really, really relaxed in situations like the MRI/dentist chair, because honestly, what's the other option? Naps are good.

10. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've never had an MRI, but I can fall asleep pretty easily. I won't fall asleep while the dentist is working on me, but if she goes away for a few minutes, I'm out like a light. I've also fallen asleep on the chiropractor's table.

I can easily drift off at a play, reading, or musical performance where I'm looking down at a lighted stage but I'm sitting in the dark, especially if it is a little warm. A few years ago I fell asleep at a John Pizzarelli concert in Boston, and I've dozed with the Chiara String Quartet playing Bartok. And not because I was bored with the music. For some reason, movies don't have the same effect.

When I used to drive across the country from Boston to Kansas I would often stop and snooze for a few minutes at a freeway oasis or gas station. A ten or fifteen minute nap was always refreshing, much more than that and I was loggy for the next hour.

I can sleep in bright sunlight, but noise keeps me awake. The neighbor's barking sheltie drives me bonkers. Of course, they don't seem to notice.:mad:

11. snowy

I anticipate a good nap this afternoon while visiting the dentist. I have to have three fillings done. So long as they put in blocks, I'll fall asleep, no problem.

12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I don't sleep well. Ever. I can occasionally grab a nap at home, but that's kinda rare. Sometimes in a car, but it's really light sleep and I have to trust the driver a LOT. I use Sleep as Android and it makes me more aware that I'm sleeping shittily. Never in an MRI and definitely not at the dentist die to my anxiety. I've just learned to compensate for the less sleep.

13. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

We took Amtrak from Lincoln to Grand Junction. Cali Zephyr was supposed to leave Lincoln a few minutes after midnight, finally arrived and left at 4:50 am, and I could NOT sleep other than some fitful dozing all the way, finally arriving at 10pm, six hours late.

Hotel shuttle was waiting at the station, and I was out like a light when my head hit the pillow at the Fairfield Inn about fifteen minutes later.:rolleyes:

I could have slept through sex, maybe I did, for all I know.

14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I once nodded off, a pretty good nod at that, during a speech given by the President of the Greater Houston Business Association. It was small crowd. Oops.
    --- merged: Jun 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM ---
    Our sheltie isn't much of a barker outside, but in the house we sometimes call her a Yarkshire Terrior because she has a high pitched yark. At least the miniature dachshund has a real bark.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  15. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I can fall asleep in a heartbeat most days. I am typically in varying degrees of sleep deprived and on days like Friday/Saturday when I work 2100-1500 just keeping my eyes can
    be a challenge by the end of that.
    I watched one of those pieces about sleep on CNN at work recently and they were saying if you can fall asleep easily in less than 20 minutes I think it was you are sleep deprived. Had to laugh as that number is closer to 5 minute some days.

16. Blood Brother

Blood Brother New Member

I've nodded off while getting my teeth cleaned. Those reclining chairs can get quite comfy.

17. Temple

Temple New Member

I fell asleep on the motorway doing 70 MPH, work up just in time !