1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite movie of 2011

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Team Edward, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Team Edward

Team Edward New Member

For me it was Crazy, Stupid love. I just thought it was really well done. It was funny and dramatic and romantic and just very entertaining. The acting great and there were so many good parts.

What about you? What was your favorite movie of the year?

2. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Slightly Tilted

I just watched that the other night. It was pretty good. :)

For me, I would go with "Super 8." We watched it twice in a row. It reminded us of a different take on "The Goonies." An all around well written, directed, produced, and acted out movie. :)

3. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I didn't make it to the movies much this year - too many kids. But I did see Red State and enjoyed it quite a bit.

4. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Best movie to me of 2011, by far, was Rango.

5. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Never have seen it, but one of the local kids around here is in that film in some kind of prominent role.

6. paddyjoe

paddyjoe curious

Had some great laughs watching "Bridesmaids" the other nite.

Helped too that Kristen Wiig is from the northcoast. Yay......

7. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

I know it is from last year but didn't see many movies this year and I saw this in Jan/Feb at the dollar cinema... "Black Swan". Great movie. Very intense and could have had so many different meanings.

8. pan6467

Edit to the above: Saw Moneyball tonight at the dollar cinema, THE BEST baseball movie I have seen in a very long time. It ranks up there with 8 Men Out, Major League and of course Pride of the Yankees. It was funny, dramatic, and just well baseball.

BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR. And I am not in any way a Brad Pitt fan.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

We've seen sooooo many this year.
    I liked Super 8, it was okay. I loved 13 and really liked Attack the Block.
    Movies in the theater this year were so sketchy that we really only went if it was a chance to see native 3D.
    If I admit that I had a blast with Fast Five, Time Magazine would agree with me.
    We spent a lot of time this year catching up on older movies and a few from last year.

10. We don't go out for many films. Super 8 is the one that left a lasting impression. so I guess that's got my vote by default.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

I too didn't see as many this year as I would normally but Drive is probably my favorite due to it's awesome soundtrack, beautiful cinematography and Ryan Gosling's performance as the kind of stoic and unstoppable hero who's too long been out of fashion since Toby Maguire gave us the saddest Spiderman ever. Drive is a stripped down tale of a loner/hero falling for a pretty girl, getting in deep because of her and killing his way out. Wonderfully violent, great stuff.

The Ides of March (also staring Gosling), The Lincoln Lawyer, Melancholia, The Adjustment Bureau and Midnight In Paris round out the rest of my list.

Count me in as well. For a franchise that just won't die, Fast Five was one of the best yet. Absolutely no rewatch value but great for all intents.

12. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

My vote would have to go to Shame. While it was difficult to watch, and I probably won't see it again, it also had a brutal honesty that we don't really get to see in feature films very often. For those unaware, Shame is a film about a man who's lost the connection between joy and sex, a man for whom sex has become a terrible, numb addiction, and who's life has become equally numb as a result. He's a broken human being. His sister shows up, and provides a strange counterbalance to the main character's sort of unfeeling loneliness and isolation with her desperate need for help. They're on opposing sides of being screwed up, and it plays really well.

I recommend the movie, but it will be emotionally draining and it's very graphic.

13. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Y'know, I think the ONLY movie I saw this year (in theatres, anyway) was On Stranger Tides. Huh.

14. Speed_Gibson

If The Fast Five is from this past year then I would say that one. Films are typically at least 18 months old by the time I see them.

15. pan6467

Saw another great movie tonight at the dollar cinema, In Time. Very tastefully done, strong social message, the best way for me to describe it is Bonnie and Clyde meet Logan's Run with a serious and timely social statement.

I couldn't help but notice the love interest's and her father's noses seemed to be very weird. Her's with oversized nostrils like she had had a bad nose job, the father with a nose tip kind of pointing upward. I wondered if the noses were made to look like that or it those were the actors real noses. They became distractions for me after awhile, I don't honestly know why.

Don't get me wrong the lady was extremely hot and I wouldn't mind having her as a fantasy woman. I liked her acting and eyes and body.

The movie did leave a big opening for a sequel, which I would definitely go and see. Maybe even a TV show for SyFy or USA.

I absolutely LOVED this movie.

16. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Not sure if it was made in 2011 (in fact fairly sure it wasnt) but it hasnt been properly released yet and so I guess it counts.

Movie is called "I Survived BTK"... its not easy to watch in parts, and of the people who've seen the movie I know at least 1/2 think the main protaganist is an idiot or a thug. I personally saw him as a deeply damaged person who had undergone something I could hardly imagine who was doing their best to be a better person than the worst things that had happened to him.

At times you feel like the camera ought to look a way and you feel like the man is being exploited, but I also think that he had to go through the process to in some way come to peace with himself and he got something out of the movie.

I would warn anyone who watches it that at one point crime photo's from the BTK killings are shown and these are genuinely disgusting and horrific - I felt like I would rather they didnt show them but I think they also had to try and get something of the actual reality of what had happened across.

At another point, something quite extraordinary happens (or not, depending on your view) If you believe in the fates, the "dark God's"... then you might see something to it. Or you might see simply a sad coincidence.

Id recomend it, with the caveat that I didnt exactly enjoy it, it is certainly not something to watch to unwind or be entertained, but it had a real power and rawness about it.

_

Oh, I should have said what its actually about.

Basically it tracks a guy who's family was murdered by an American serial killer. At the time we start filming he is getting out of jail for assaulting an ex gf and trying to get his life back on track and the killer is still unknown. And then they catch the murderer, and you follow the guy through the trial, through him trying to come to terms with the one answer thing he must have wanted to know more than anything else.

17. thetemplar

thetemplar Vertical

Wow, I would say it's a draw between Super 8 and Rise of the Planet of the Apes...I'm going with the apes..they did a great job on it..well written and thought out...don't get me wrong..Super 8 was great..Spielberg definitely got back on his game with it..I just think the writers and directors did a fantastic job on the apes..especially after that really disappointing apes movie a few years ago.

18. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Oh, dont get me started on Planet of the Apes... The very concept infuriates me. (It might be a good movie, I dont know I havent seen it)

19. thetemplar

thetemplar Vertical

if your talking about the 2001 apes movie with Mark Walberg, don't bother..it was just plain bad.

20. Speed_Gibson

At the end the girl is staring at him with the "take me now" eyes and he just HAS to leave to go back to his 'so much better life' he had before. And he fails to achieve that even.