1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite Piano Players....

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Speed_Gibson, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Simple enough idea for this. I will start with two easy ones in the 'recent years' category. No doubt names like Fats Waller, etc, that I would heartily agree with will follow here.

Anthony Burger - He was an incredibly gifted man who played for Bill Gaither on quite a few of his "Homecoming" videos. Had a very impressive list of accomplishments in his life.
    He died on one of the Gaither Cruises of a heart attack at the far too young age of 44.

Victor Borge - Best known by most for his comic routines of course. I love watching his videos.
    Died at 91 back in 2000 after many years of entertaining.
    to paraphrase one of his staples: "What is the difference between the viola and violin? The viola burns longer!"

• Like Like x 1
  2. Speed_Gibson

Anthony's Last Christmas Homecoming Performance

3. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Thelonious Monk (duh...) - it only takes Monk about 2 or 3 notes before you know it is HIM!

4. Speed_Gibson

Yes Monk is a no-brainer on any list like this. He must have been too obvious for me to list him. But I was watching a video featuring Anthony Burger when I decided to post this thread so he was more prominent in my head that very moment.
    If I had Doc Brown's Delorian in my hands seeing Monk perform live would be very high on my list of things to do - right after seeing Benny Goodman.

going with another legend and one of my favourite singers off all time - Nat "King" Cole
    And in that time travel scenario I would still see Monk first before Nat.

5. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

There are many piano players I enjoy very much but after thinking for a minute I remembered how much I love Bill Evans

6. Speed_Gibson

Have to add Art Tatum. Fats Waller stepping aside to give you the piano bench when you walk in the room is truly a compliment.

7. Duke Ellington is first on my list. I also love me some Basie.

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

well, there's monk and there's ellington of course.

and there's andrew hill

and there's george rusell

though this particular track i particularly love for the arrangement and, especially, sheila jordan's singing.

and cecil taylor.

who is..um...stunning.

9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Keith Jarrett, jazz and classical...

10. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

Ray Charles?

11. Ooooh I can't believe I neglected to say Cy Coleman

12. Canthook

Canthook Vertical

Scott Joplin, whichever guy in Emerson, Lake & Palmer is the piano player (Brain Salad Surgery).

13. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

14. RogueGypsy

RogueGypsy Vertical

There are some greats here. One of my recent favorites is Vika Yermolyeva, she's amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I would second Ray Charles only because its the only person that comes to mind, but I'm just getting into classical music as is, some of these pianist are amazing...

16. MrBean

MrBean New Member

Art Tatum. Unequaled to this day.

--- merged: Jan 13, 2012 7:30 PM ---
    ...and Hiromi. Holy shit.

17. ELTON JOHN! I dare you to find anyone who can work the pedals in a pair of platforms better than he.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Michael Pinder, orginal keyboardist for the Moody Blues. Known primarily for the Mellotron, I really liked his piano playing.

19. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

jerry lee was no slouch...

20. Cdwonderful

Cdwonderful Getting Tilted

Rick Wakeman was always a favorite of mine