1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Fee'd to Death - Are companies slowly eating us alive?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Feb 17, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I've been seeing this for a long time...and saying it.
    We are now being Fee'd to Death.
    EVERYTHING is a fee, has a fee...everytime you turn around there's another fee (or penalty...)

We are fee'd so much,
    We are like a drowning cow in a river being eaten by piranha.
    Companies and government have found that they can just siphon the public like a horde of leaches.

Think about it...forget taxes.
    You want something...a fee, and then there are additional fees...then unforeseen fees.
    If you're late, etc...penalty fees. Want to change something, fees. A tranaction, fee
    Close something, fees

How many service/product contracts do you have???
    How much are they costing you?
    Do you constantly have to keep track of EVERYTHING? Otherwise, they tack on another fee.
    And then it takes you forever to get it fixed or remove it.

The onus is on you to "prove" you're correct...you are held to it until otherwise.
    While Americans might be innocent until proven guilty...criminally.
    Fiscally, they are living in a Neapolitan system...you pay unless you can prove they are wrong.

If you are feeling sapped...it's because you are.
    Drained? You are. Like your dollar doesn't go as far...it doesn't.
    Even the rich are feeling the bite...and are feeling worn down...it's always SOMETHING.
    And you can't let up...or they will suck you dry.

This is why I'm trying to slowly weed my way away from the current classic lifestyle.
    No credit card, minimal/restricted services, paying cash, etc.
    I want these leaches off of me.
    The piranha to stop biting my ass.

What about you?

2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I set up my life to avoid as many monthly fees as I could, and still live a 'normal' lifestyle.

I ride my bike a lot to avoid some of the gas bills, use free internet access points to get on-line, and use cash overseas to get away from foreign transactions fees. I have come up with a way to travel for three weeks internationally with a huge camera system and tripod and 17" MacBook as two pieces of carry on luggage. The camera gear and cases weigh 40 lbs. My clothes, running shoes and bathroom stuff comes in at 15 lbs. But, airlines are the worst culprit in this new fee crazy world. Then you get the fuel surcharge that never goes away for shipping and transport...

I still use my credit card here (too much), have a monthly cell phone with stupid charges for a data plan, and have lots of service fees with how little natural gas and water/sewer I use. I also have HOA fees each month.

3. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi, Rogue49

I have my gas, electricity and broadband. I do not do direct debit, I pay each bill 'by hand' ... because though the promise is 'get money off your bill if you do direct debit', I only have to mess up my cashflow once and go overdrawn, and the bank fees more than mess up any savings I might have made. Oh, and I do debit cards, so I can still do transactions if I haven't got the cash on me, but I never do credit cards.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

The real robbery is going on at the Fed and the Treasury: Zero interest rate policy, and endless printing of the currency are really destroying you in the long run, you just don't see it plainly in front of you.

5. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Many of these fees are in place to artificially lower the cost of the products.

For example, the real cost of your cell phone plan may be $100/month, but they'll "sell" it at $75/month+fees. Sometimes the fees won't add up to $100/month, but other peoples' late fees, etc. will make up the difference.

6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

My landline, advertised at $17.50 basic, cost me $32.68 last month.
    Lindy

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Funny, I've had credit cards for nearly a decade now and haven't paid a dime in fees.

Impossible, right?

8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

It's not just credit cards...I'm talking about utilities, purchases, contracts...everything.
    It used to be a simple cost...for a straight service.
    You had a quick awareness of what things were valued at...and could make a judgement...then act...or not.
    But now...you get into anything...there are unannounced addentums...they can change your terms..."oh, you want to do that??" fee, fee, fee...

Thank god the government is starting to take note, and putting some restrictions on it.
    Now, don't get me wrong...I'm very much a capitalist...I don't mind people making a buck, getting rich...and government shouldn't over regulate.
    But come on now, there is now a "need" for government to get involved, because there is an OVERKILL of fees on top of fees.
    Just the simple law that went in affect with banks had made a difference...at least you have a chance now.
    And the new consumer protection bureau hopefully will police even more.

It has basically become a racketeering game...an accepted way of getting the most out of your clients.
    It needs to be rolled back...somehow make it an unacceptable thing to treat your clients this way.

Why do you think that most of the public feels that they are having a harder time getting by?
    It's not just jobs...I've got a good job and very decent pay...as do many of my friends and family. (This includes my rich & strict friends too)
    But they all have complained that they are just worn down...you always have to be on top of EVERYTHING.
    Follow-up, investigate, argue, examine, correct, adjust, inquire, negotiate....again & again...day after day.

This saps you...and whittles down your money, and your ability to just relax, plan...do something than cringe when looking over another letter/email.

They need to just stop the death by a thousand cuts.

9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The fees are in place to make upper mangement more money and keep the stock price up.

The 'real cost' of my cell phone is probably $100 a year. I pay $780/year.

10. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

The fees are in place to increase profits. If you think a company is profiting too much off your business, take it elsewhere. But in a capitalistic society dominated by the free market system, good luck with that.

11. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

What does this have to do with fees????? Keep your politics in check since there's nothing in the OP about those things.

Yes, that's very true. It's that way for the airlines and that's why the new airlines regulations are supposed to be able to allow one to see the total. These rules took effect January 26, 2012

I am very sensitive to fees. I am concerned with total cost of ownership, not the advertised cost. Those salesmanship tactics I was wise to when I was in my 20s.

Some of those fees above are just hogwash, for example Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge. It is not a mandated government charge. From what I understand it is the company passing their taxes they are supposed to pay right back directly to you. While I think that you should do that as part of any profitable business, no one wants to know what goes into the sausage really. They say they want to know, but they don't really.

Scammed: How to Save Your Money and Find Better Service in a World of Schemes, Swindles, and Shady Deals, this is on my list for reading.

• Like Like x 3