1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Friendships & Finding Mate Online: Is it for Real or Reel?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by solarisfemme, Aug 21, 2011.

1. solarisfemme

solarisfemme New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. Stumbled upon this site because I was doing research on any topics about humanity, philosophy, sexuality. Basically anything. I love music and movies. See ya. ;)

2. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Welcome to tfp, I'm going to assume the title of your thread is your question for us to ponder.... I think online relationships is dependant upon both partners, how serious they take it and how much trust can be gained/built for it to sustain a friendship that evolves into a relationship.... I have known people who make a mockery of people who online date but since online relationships are more common nowadays, people like that are few and far between....

3. solarisfemme

solarisfemme New Member

Thanks for your reply. I believe it is also the kind of site you go into. For instance, if you go to an adult site, I think it is somehow difficult to find good friendships/relationships there. I assume because I am thinking of a person's intention by basically going to the online site. But of course, I don't really know whether they are looking for friendships/relationships or just playtime.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Welcome, solarisfemme.

What do you mean by "adult site?" Do you mean a site for mature discussion or AdultFriendFinder?

Mmm, I don't get the "reel" part of your title unless you're somehow suggesting that online dating is just in the movies. The OP is a little spam-esque but maybe you're just new. Or maybe you're a Reptoid. Either way, as with all posts on Tilted Forum Project, it is the thread starter's obligation to establish context and get the conversation moving forward by answering their own question(s). It tends to help everybody get in the groove.

As far as friendships and finding mates online, I've been at TFP since June 2007 (MSD has it tattooed on his right buttock) and made a lot of kooky friends. Met some of the pillar members in real life last year at a get-together in Chicago. That and add in the fact that literally every single woman I've been in a relationship I've met through a dating site (OkCupid, PlentyOfFish), I'd say it's "real." Had sex with all of 'em and ended up marrying one for a hot minute. That's real enough, I figure. The cool part about started-online relationships is you can be more frank and get a lot more done as far as detailing your skull innards in a shorter period of time. It's not a bad medium as long as you use it as a means to get to the real world.

5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Pleased to meet you and I hope you have a great time here.
    My answer to your question : yes, it is definitely for real, but that it is a person's integrity which determines the extent to which he or she treats it as such; treats the people on the other side of the monitor screen as real people.

Best wishes

6. solarisfemme

solarisfemme New Member

You got it on the "reel" part. Some treat online relationships as just that - online. More likely an illusion for some. Yes, I'm new. I don't get the OP part & spam-esque.

Zen, that's like it.

7. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

Hi Solarisfemme!

Welcome as has been said above...

I think you will find a much more valuable interaction in this thread if you can share some of your own personal experiences. Have you ever pursued interactions online? Relationships? Why? How did they turn out?

I've met people online through this site as well as an official dating site such as match.com.

In both cases, I've walked out with friendships and romantic interests. The context of the initial interaction definitely played into what sort of conversations I had.

From TFP... I've gained friends for life. Over time, you begin to learn more about people and likewise as you learn more you open yourself up to them. From dating sites, it was much more superficial, but I also shared a lot more of myself quickly.

8. solarisfemme

solarisfemme New Member

I did not pursued online dating nor any adult/mature dating sites. I know it is superficial and it is for profit. Perhaps for some, reality is perceived. Or we create our own reality.