1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

What is up with the floor in this pic?
    Looks like an old floor in the midst of a refurb that suddenly needed to be in a tv series.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It's unsealed stone, most likely, or meant to mimic it, and some of the flotsam is stuff blown in through the open window. Unsealed stone develops its own character.

3. Fremen

Ok, I can buy that. Thanks.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

In the book, they use rushes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fremen

I know they wanted to use rushes for a natural deodorizer back then, but were there other uses?
    I can't imagine using them, myself. I know I'd trip one too many times.

6. Baraka_Guru

Dorne is a tough nut to crack. The reason why Oberyn is a "prince" is because Dorne had been essentially considered a sovereign kingdom within the realm. (They didn't want to go to the trouble of conquering Dorne, due in large part to its rough terrain—it's like the Afghanistan of Westeros.)

Over the years, Dorne has been essentially one of the Seven Kingdoms, but it still retained a kind of independence that others didn't have. Dornishmen are known to be hot-blooded and vicious. The last thing the Lannisters would want to do is anger Dorne by killing one of its princes—the brother of the Lord of Sunspear, no less.

It's not an easy political situation. King Joffrey needs Dorne.

And it's kind of a non-starter anyway: Remember, Princess Myrcella Baratheon was sent to Sunspear to gain House Martell's favour.
    --- merged: Apr 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM ---
    I think they also served as traction on worn (and likely often wet) stone.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

Ah yes, I didn't remember where the other mini-Joffrey's got shipped off to. It seems so long ago.

What's really eating me though is waiting to find out what Varys did with the sorcerer in the crate.

8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Well, he's obviously a cocky arrogant sort of person who thinks he's invulnerable.
    Nothing subtle about him. So it wouldn't surprise me.
    And it goes along the lines of people underestimating Tyrion, thinking him inconsequential.

In GoT, there are those that are obvious such as current "King"
    and there are those that are "layered"

I really don't try to predict anything...I simply enjoy the dance.
    But in turn, because I don't try to categorize...it does allow me to predict because I judge the situation as it unfolds.

9. Baraka_Guru

In other news, Season 4, Episode 1 had exactly three times as many viewers as Season 1, Episode 1.

"Two Swords" had 6.64 million viewers, and it was the first time an episode broke 6 million.

"The Lion and the Rose" coming up.

This gave me chills.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEBi8sU0rpk

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Even when you know something is coming, the actuality of the wedding scene was excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Man, I hate all the almost-spoiler and downright-spoiler headlines I saw yesterday. The media really needs to get with the fact that people don't necessarily watch TV when the show airs any more. I've deliberately avoided mentioning watching this episode because I know what happens, and I know I'm not going to be able to watch it with my husband :( but I can't help but wonder if he's already had it ruined for him.

12. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

What's worse is the internet sites like Mashable who had a huge spoiler up almost immediately after the first US airing (east coast). Imagine if you were in Oz where the first screening on the local TV was mid afternoon (about 5 hours after this east coast airing). Surely you could write a review without spoiling it in the headline?

13. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

When the show starts on the East Coast on Sunday night I log out of FB so the "trending" box doesn't spoil the episode before it even airs on the West coast (like it has with the walking dead season finales and UFC results.) I even turn off my phone until I'm done downloading and watching it. It's sad that one must result to measures such as these but it's a bi-product of the show becoming so popular.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT NOT REALLY AS THE SHOW AIRED AND BECAUSE, THE BOOKS.

“This Pie Is Dry” How Joffery Was Poisoned and by Whom – Step-by-Step, See How the Murder of the King was Carried Out

[​IMG]
    Ser Dontos is the last of the Hollards, whose house was executed by the mad King Aerys. He has no family and no friends — the perfect patsy. On Joffrey’s birthday (S2E1) Dontos showed up late. Joffrey nearly had him drowned for it, but Sansa spoke up to say it’s bad luck to kill a man on your birthday. With some coaxing by the Hound, Ser Dontos was instead demoted to court jester.
    (Click on the photos to enlarge to full size)
    [​IMG]
    Ser Dontos can be seen in the background of a few court shots through Seasons 2 and 3. Recently (S4E1) he gave Sansa a necklace as “thanks” for saving his life. It has seven jewels for the seven gods. He asks she wear it with pride.
    [​IMG]
    And so she does, to Joffrey and Margarey’s wedding.

[​IMG]
    Here’s Lady Olenna after the ceremony. Is she hiding tears at the sight of her granddaughter being married off, or is she preparing herself for what is to come?
    [​IMG]
    Lady Olenna gives sympathies to Sansa for the murder of her family. Watch carefully
    [​IMG]
    Olenna rubs Sansa’s neck, plays with her hair and finally snatches the right-most jewel on Ser Dontos’s necklace.

[​IMG]
    Notice Olenna palming the jewel in her right hand, and Sansa’s necklace now only has six jewels. The props guys expertly ensured Sansa’s braid rests where the seventh jewel should be for the rest of the wedding. This is one of the few shots where the naked link is shown.

[​IMG]
    Lady Olenna returns to her seat and doesn’t move for the rest of the feast. There’s an audible clink as she walks by the King’s table, making people think this is when she does the deed … but not so fast. Regicide requires patience.
    [​IMG]
    See? Where’s the king’s cup?
    [​IMG]
    Here’s Ser Dontos at the wedding, about to be pelted with fruits. Poor guy.
    [​IMG]
    Still no cup near Olenna. Naturally, it’s in the king’s hand.
    [​IMG]
    It’s not a wedding unless Joffrey humiliates his uncle. He names Tyrion his cupbearer after dumping wine on his uncle’s head and drops the cup for him to retrieve.
    [​IMG]
    It rolls to Sansa’s feet and she picks it up for her husband.
    [​IMG]
    Tyrion fills up the king’s cup and hands it back to him. At this point, it’s still not poisoned — but everyone saw Sansa (a traitor’s daughter) and Tyrion (the ‘demon monkey’) handle the king’s cup moments before he’s poisoned.
    [​IMG]
    Here’s what you missed. The dove pie arrives and Joffrey hands his cup to Margaery so he can cut it open. Margaery sets the cup not on the bride and groom’s table, but in front of her grandmother Lady Olenna.
    [​IMG]
    Joffrey says himself the pie isn’t very good. Maybe it’s because there’s a ton of dove shit on it. Maybe it’s because the Tyrells paid for the food, putting them in the position to ensure the pie would demand a drink.

[​IMG]
    Tyrion is commanded to fetch the king’s cup. Notice it’s right in front of Olenna. Everyone’s been watching birds fly out of pastries, I wonder what Olenna’s been doing?
    [​IMG]
    Tyrion brings King Joffrey his cup and..
    [​IMG]
    The Strangler is a fast-acting poison that causes asphyxiation. Joffrey’s already dead, he just doesn’t know it yet. Ser Dontos swoops in and drags off Sansa while Tyrion is left to take the blame.
    Before I got started writing about Game Of Thrones‘ second episode of season 4,”The Lion and The Rose,” I’d come to the conclusion that the book version was more satisfying. The umpteen courses of food couldn’t be replicated for the small screen, the dwarves jousting on pigs couldn’t either, nor could the awesomeness that pigeons flying out of a pie seemed to suggest. Somehow, it seemed tame in comparison, despite the gorgeous costuming–until tonight when I was collecting some photo stills and video media for this post and I took a quick break, leaving my office. My son, who has read all the A Song Of Ice And Fire books but only sporadically watches the HBO series, mentioned to me that he’d seen a greatly detailed pictorial of the specific scenes where Joffery got poisoned with an accompanying description that he found convincing. He isn’t easily convinced of anything but even so, I was skeptical so he pulled up the Reddit Game of Thrones – The HBO Series, A Song of Ice and Fire, and All Things GRRM.Well, heck. Leave it to someone with time enough on their hands to obsessively comb for the finest details in episode 4.02 and darned if they hadn’t found them!

SPOILER: Now, I’m not quite sure how Olenna managed to snag one of the gemstones off of Sansa’s necklace without her noticing, even though Olenna did quiet a bit of “petting” of the girl in an alleged showing of empathy for Sansa’s loss of her brother and mother. I’m also wondering how Olenna could have been so very sure that Sansa would wear that necklace to the wedding– a hell of a lot hinged on a teenage girl’s accessory choices! All that said, the pictorial argument is compelling, as is the fact that George R.R. Martin wrote the episode–so the story in his books may have been fleshed out a bit more in the TV series. Hopefully, time will tell for sure.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

What kind of character does that kid who was pushed out of the window turn out to be? That was an interesting development that quickly gave me cause to like those people he was watching.

16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

[​IMG]
    “This Pie Is Dry.” The Purple Wedding – Game Of Thrones episode 4.02 ( Cr: HBO)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Fremen

Long live the King!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Pretty cool death scene.
    I just noticed--are those Cersei's nipples we catch a glimpse of in the 5th GIF down? I don't believe she's shown them otherwise.

19. Fremen

Whoa, had to re-look. I thought they were Joffery's new queen's nippular area. No offense to Natalie Dormer, but I prefer Lena Headey.

And yeah, they look to've done a great job with the death scene.

• Like Like x 1
  20. paddyjoe

paddyjoe curious

This right here is why I am secretly in love with you…..:D

• Like Like x 1