1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Jul 26, 2011.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Personally, I think just as the books have diverged from the books,
    the show may continue after the books.

Remember, for all the movements that "wanna-be players", kings & queens do...this is about a battle of two gods.
    Winter is coming...will Summer fall?

There is a reason the city up north is called, "Winterfell"

Or does the power & influence of each god flux according to where the planet is physically?

Then again, I could be reading into it more than anyone, including the author.
    I've been known to do that. (Don't even get me into my theories on The Matrix... :rolleyes:)

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 3
  3. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

I mentioned Danny. Jon Snow doesn't really do anything. Brienne is too busy fawning over Jaime. And while Tyrion did a good job leading at Blackwater, the last one and a half seasons he's been wasting his mental energy with Sansa and Shay. Uggggggggggh

4. Baraka_Guru

There is good, and then there's effective. There's a difference. :p

Jon Snow is young, and he's had to shoulder a shit-ton of responsibility compared to the likes of, say, King Jeoffrey. The thing about Jon's situation is that it's basically one where he constantly finds himself in a relatively powerless position. I think he does well considering the hands he gets dealt, and he certainly takes after his father whilst having a bit more wisdom about it—a wisdom beyond his years. The refrain "you know nothing" is used somewhat ironically, as it's a reflection of Jon actually learning as he goes. He knows what he doesn't know.

Brienne is more honourable and dutiful than Ned Stark was. I'm surprised she's still alive. No spoilers, but don't count her out just yet. Her good is in the same measure as King Jeoffrey's evil. (Both possibly to a fault.) She's a woman of action having to prove herself a man's world, but she's a susceptible to the same passions that men are, so you can't really blame her if she gets sidetracked.

This displays Tyrion's goodness through duty as well. You have to remember his past: His father is responsible for the death of the first woman he ever loved. He's paranoid about the women in his life being treated the same way. He's another case of constantly being in a position of relatively little power, but having to be a player nonetheless.

If anything, Martin is good at giving his "good" characters a hell of a set of conflicts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ChrisJericho

Yup, everything I said was true.

6. Baraka_Guru

But it didn't paint the full picture. What @rogue49 said is also true.

If you wanted superheroes, you should have watched some Marvel thing instead. ;)

7. ChrisJericho

I believe people and characters are to be judged on their actions. That's fine that you disagree.

Might see X-men : Days of Future Past. Never was a fan of the Avengers though.

8. Baraka_Guru

What makes you think I disagree?

I didn't really get into it, because I was busy but....

Jon Snow "doesn't really do anything"? Srsly? Are we even watching the same show? (Maybe I'm confusing things with the book. Help me out here.)

Brienne's "fawning over Jamie" has partly to do with serving Lady Stark's wishes for the safety of the Stark girls.

Tyrion proves to be more than a drunk whoremonger, and you criticize him for it? He's doing his best to keep these two women safe. Besides, he's not exactly in a position to defy his father. What do you expect him to do?

I can't remember: Did you read the books? Maybe I'm misremembering what the show reveals vs. the books. None of these characters exactly have what many of the "evil" characters do: the leverage of power.

Yeah, me neither. I'd probably be more into them if I knew more about them when I was younger.

9. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  10. rogue49

Ok...I've got a hint for you...if you're a champion.
    IF the man you are challenging isn't budging as you ride at high speeds towards him with a lance.
    You "may" want to reconsider your strategy...because the bastard has likely got something up his sleeve.
    Falls from horses are kind of distracting. :rolleyes:

This is GoT, players aren't worried about puppy-dogs & horses...

Actually, if you think about it, GoT is an exceptional lesson of brutal & efficient killing and how to avoid it.
    So if you can figure it out...it's good training for Armageddon. (or less "touristy" places in the world, like the Congo or Sudan)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rogue49

I think it's a bit hypocritical of people to get too upset at this.
    In an "entertainment" world, where people (especially men) are shot down without looking twice...nor any impact or repercussions.
    (not just on GoT, but often in MANY shows these days)

The sexual assaults portrayed in GoT are not heroic or justified...typically they are shown as horrific and disturbing.
    Not that I "want" to see it...but it was a very real thing in less civilized times...and occurs currently in less civilized areas globally.
    If not in our own back yard...yet we're unaware or in denial.

The series is excellent at showing the range of human actions, where good can do bad...bad, good...and it all moves through time & situation.
    For example, I didn't approve of Daenerys' crucifixions of the masters...to even the score they had done to the slave children.
    Evil and cruelty can be done by typically merciful and good people.

I find it interesting that many are perfectly fine killing a man in a split second...as long as too much blood isn't shown.
    But deviate from that...in the essence of telling a "realistic" story...and those same are disturbed and protest.

This is simply a fantasy drama...how would you deal with a realistic documentary on, let's say the Rwandan Genocide.
    Where tons of Men, Women & Children were slaughtered per hour. (~333 deaths per hour)
    Or the depicting of rape as a weapon of war - Link

I'm not at all saying this is right...just interesting that many live in filtered worldviews.
    I guess some just going to have to take our evil outside the frame to deal with it.

That's one of the reasons I'm watching the GoT series, it twists the typical...shows the grey.
    But actually not too dark...I've seen others which get darker...and I don't like that.
    So I guess I'm just as bad as everyone else.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  12. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

In re: the repeated sexual violence on Game Of Thrones, the argument I'm hearing most is that yes, rape is a fact of life everywhere (duh). Game of Thrones has a choice, however in how it is portrayed. What happens after the rape? Meaning there is certainly an 'after' with Jaime and Cersei and it was if nothing happened. It could have been a continuation of the scene where she told him he was 'gone too long'. You would have never known a rape occurred. Yet it did. The scene at Craster's, coming on the heels of the just mentioned Cersei rape was much worse as it was brutal gang rape. George Martin has a habit of dropping sexploitative nuggets thoughtout GOT but when it is sexualized violence portrayed, the audience wants it treated with a bit more gravity than a whorehouse scene.

13. ChrisJericho

I agree that it was quite odd how Jaime and Cersei acted as if nothing had happened after the rape scene when they met in her chambers to discuss how many guards were outside Tommen's door. Very strange. There should have been additional dialogue about it or some sort of repercussions.

I would agree with Martin though, history is fraught with examples of rape. It's a horrible act but it would be unrealistic to have a story in this type of medieval environment and completely omit it.

That last scene in Crastor's keep though was pretty nasty. Those poor women were victimized by their father and now they're getting raped by the Night's Watch mutineers. Oh yeah and Holdor gets stabbed. Pretty standard episode with innocent people getting brutalized as usual.

14. Baraka_Guru

The problem is in the scene's portrayal. It was a poorly realized/edited scene. In the book, the sex is consensual. It seems the scene in the show is some kind of twisted "rape but somehow not really considered rape," which is a problem. If only they'd fix it for the Blu-ray.

15. rogue49

Arya got a good life lesson and battle lesson from the Hound this week.

And somewhat on the topic from above...basically there are sick fucks all over this medieval world.
    Men & Women.

Who knows how Jaime & Cersei should react?? It's abnormal in the first place. The whole family is abnormal, except for Tyrion.
    Maybe that's "normal" in Cersei's mind...oh my other brother doesn't desire me...so I want to kill him. My first brother "desires" me, no matter how.
    Perhaps Jaime "taking" her is not atypical...perhaps she's used to it.

The whole thing is twisted.
    And same goes for the shit at the Aerie, with the Mother & Son. Or the house up North with all the daughter/wives.
    And medieval IRL was abnormal too, especially amongst the nobles, close relatives marrying and such. (it's why their lines had Hemophilia)
    Who knows what went on in their warped, nothing is barred to me, minds...and the actions that followed.

The Hound has more honor and sanity so far than most of the Lannisters.

And if you haven't noticed, the show is kicking certain things up a notch than the books...things are a bit more shocking. (ex. Red Wedding)

16. Baraka_Guru

17. Baraka_Guru

18. rogue49

Amazing scene,
    especially considering everything leading up to it.

Even Tywin, a master manipulator, cannot control everything, especially those he discounts.
    Presumption is the bane of many.

Not meaning the presumption of guilt, but the presumption that events will unfold as you expect and people will do as you think.
    Feeling & emotion is something to consider.
    Something Tywin does not understand.

------

On an interesting aspect of those lines...I'm sure that Peter Dinklage himself had a small part of his own experiences & emotion within them.
    The prosecution of being different throughout your life.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ChrisJericho

God the Reek saga absolutely cracks me up, especially him sleeping in the kennels.

20. Baraka_Guru

Oh...man...

“Oh, my sweet wife. My sweet, silly wife. I have only loved one woman. Only one. My entire life. Your sister.”
    — Petyr Baelish to his new wife, Lysa Arryn, Lady of the Vale, a moment before pushing her through the Eyrie's Moon Door to the Vale below​