1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Garage Door will not open

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by larryb711, Aug 21, 2011.

1. larryb711 New Member

I hope this post is in the right spot as I am still getting used to the new TFP.

Anyway, I am having trouble with my garage door not closing. It just started doing this. In short, it has no problem opening, but when I try to close it, the door will start to close and then stop. There is nothing blocking the sensors, and I have already lubricated the wheels, the spring at the top of the door, the side channels that the wheels move along with no luck at all.

There is nothing blocking the downward movement and I have set the downward motion to the highest level. Sometimes, the door will close if I keep the wall mounted button pushed the entire time the door is closing. But once I stop holding the button, the door will stop and begin opening again.

Any advice or recomendations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Larry

2. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Any binding if you close the door manually?

3. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

This sounds exactly like a problem I had with my garage door. It turned out that there were sensors on either side of the door that were meant to detect if something was in the way preventing the door from closing. One of mine had come out of alignment and was not pointing directly at the other one. On mine, there's a light on each sensor, and they both have to be on to show that they're aligned properly. You may have to google your personal model to see if there's a particular way to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Yeah try taking the door off the power opener and do it by hand.
    There are thin cables on some doors that run down the side, along the track and help with the lifting. Check and see if one of the cables got tangled in one of the wheels.

5. Rekna New Member

I've seen this happen before. As Spiritsoar has said it may be an alignment issue of the sensors. I think you can just bend it to point at the other one and you should be fine.

6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Bingo.

I sometimes have the same problem. I also can usually manually close it by pressing the button from the wall panel. Every time this happens to me I have to adjust one of the sensors on the doorjamb because something has bumped it out of alignment.