1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Genealogy. Anyone interesting in your family tree?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Katia, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

I've been doing some genealogy off and on for several years now. I'm certainly no expert at it, but have traced my roots back to the 1700's in part. Discovered that Mickey Rooney is my third cousin.

So, does anyone have some interesting people or stories from their tree?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

My wife is nearly obsessed with such things, or has been at various times over the last several years. I have an uncle who did a massive amount of research about 20 years ago (much harder back then!) and traced the family back to the 1500s in Scotland. My wife has piggybacked on his research and filled in some blanks. She's also done quite a bit on both sides of her family, though I don't think much goes back past the mid-1800s there that she can find.

One of my ancestors was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Supposedly....

I'm related to John Adams and John Quincy Adams on my mother's side (her mother).
    And could be a Daughter of the American Revolution and came across on the Mayflower.
    Also on my mother's side (her father) my great grandfather owned a series of speakeasies behind a chain of drugstores in the greater NYC area. (lost millions in the Stock Market crash)

Again supposedly, on my dad's side, my great great grandfather was a Cherokee chief.

I haven't followed up or certified anything.
    Maybe I'll get into this someday.

I do know my surname is Scottish, not English...and I use this to get people to not confuse the spelling of my last name. (one letter different than the common spelling in the US)

But I'm a mutt.
    My mother's side is French/German (Jewish) and English
    My father's side is Scottish/English and American Indian.

My aunt's into this...maybe I'll ask her.
    Should be easier these days, since you've got DNA to give and trace.
    Doesn't it depend on how much money you have to invest into it? (it's not like you're famous and have fans and the media looking into it)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

My paternal grandmother researched her family in the 1970s and apparently on her mother's side was descended from John of Gaunt,1st Duke of Lancaster, the third surviving son of King Edward III of England

• Like Like x 3
  5. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I'm a direct descendant of King Edward I, so I have Daniel beat by two Edwards :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Sounds like those kings got around.

It's good to be the King. :cool:

7. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

(Homer Simpson voice) Why the hell don't I get around?!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Ancestry.com (the complete, high-end, access-to-everything version) costs about $300/year. There is a tremendous amount of information there.

For me, Ancestry's fee is a business expense, since I use it to research things for my web site. I never got around to looking up my own family.

So, eventually, my wife did -- and researched her family, my family, and our adopted daughter's birth family.

There was nothing very interesting that I didn't already know.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I come from a long line of dirt farmers and working class nobodies, so my interest in my family tree is pretty low.

My mother likes to believe that one of her early relatives was an English scholar, explorer & adventurer who wrote a very popular (at the time, mid 1700s) book on the Indians of the Southeast USA. This has never been researched.

One of my aunts did some pretty thorough research--long, long before computers and Ancestry.com--into my paternal grandmothers family. It turns out that some of them were slave owners. Not in the large Southern plantation sense; IIRC the notes mentioned ten slaves. My paternal grandmother intrigues me somewhat because in the photos (she died long before I was born) she clearly shows a strong Native American bloodline, but during her lifetime white people didn't discuss having Native American relatives. Even to this day the few remaining older relatives won't speak of it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Street Pattern

Hybrid vigor: the USA has it. Canada, too.

My four grandparents came from four different ethnic groups. All were born in the US, but three were children of immigrants.

My father's uncle (my granduncle), a Jewish graduate of Harvard back when few were allowed, was president of a well-known clothing company, and worked in the Eisenhower White House.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

My father's father served in the 101st airborne in WW2 (and apparently mentioned at the end of Band of Brothers), my mother's father was in the underground during the holocaust and was in Casablanca for its liberation. On my father's side we lost a lot of history to some fires so we don't really know anything else, but on my mother's someone took the family line definitively back to the 13th century or so and from there you can less confidently trace it back basically all the way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

That's the kind of family history most people probably hope for when they get into genealogy.

13. Street Pattern

My father was an Army veteran of World War II, in the Pacific.
    My father-in-law (my wife's father) was a Navy veteran of World War II, also in the Pacific.
    My grandfather (mother's father) was an Army veteran of World War I in Europe.
    His great-grandfather (my 4-greats grandfather), born in Dresden, Saxony in 1740, was a veteran of the Revolutionary War in Pennsylvania.

14. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

If you have a few generations, Ancestry can help you connect not only with records they have, but with other people's trees who may have had information and not lost it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. warrrreagl

warrrreagl Slightly Tilted

My brother is nuts. Like, in therapy and on medication nuts. He's certifiable. We've always known it. My grandmother was nuts, too. She ended up having to get shock treatments at one point. And as it turns out, my research into the Family Tree has revealed a direct line to both Lizzie Borden and Zelda Sayre. Therefore, our family lunacy has a pedigree.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

Cool. You can tell people "I'm about to go family on your ass."

17. Chris Noyb

Rumor has it there are some monkeys in our family tree.

18. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

There are certainly some bastards in mine.