1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

GeoGuessr

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Fraeia, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

At 4pm on Friday my co-workers and I decided we had been productive enough for the day and were just sitting around the project table when one of them mentioned this online "game" - GeoGuessr. I had never heard of it before, so I opened it on my computer and soon there were about 5 or 6 of us huddled around my desk playing it together. We didn't even realise that 5pm had come and gone and we were free for the weekend.

The concept is pretty simple - the game uses goggle street view and drops you off anywhere in the world. You have to guess where you are by searching around for clues - perhaps geography/geology of the area, vegetation, street signs, vehicles, architecture, etc.

Check it out if you haven't already... GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world!

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

It's very difficult.

3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I think I did pretty good considering I've only left Texas once.
    Score was 9984, and the worst one I got was confusing Australia for South Africa.
    I guessed Kansas for Mississippi, Norway for Norway, and France for either Liechtenstein or Italy (couldn't tell which it was)

4. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

I guess it helps if you have a bunch of people playing who have different backgrounds. Out of the 5 of us we'd all been overseas, one geologist, one biologist, someone who grew up in Eastern Europe, someone who took linguists and studied in Australia, etc.

I came home and showed the game to my gf. Didn't think she'd be so good at it but I should have - she works in worldwide logistics. We were dropped on a highway in France and by the look of the transport trucks she knew exactly where we were. In another round we were dropped off right in front of a sign that said "Republic of Botswana"... so we got a lot of points for that one :)

I like the game because it kinda makes you feel like you've spent the last hour travelling the world, lol.

5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Well, Europe often blends together. I haven't had the opportunity to go over there yet. (only throughout the Americas)

If you think it's Europe, you have to figure out where to put your marker to get close and increase your points.
    Mountainous, versus Plain...
    I got 13179 on my first try.
    9398 on the 2nd try...MUCH harder, the exact address in an ad for South Africa on one saved my ass. (if there's no signs or architecture, you're screwed)

6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

This was on my third try. Fun stuff. :D

7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

20267 points!

There were a couple Canadian ones that really helped.

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have a lot of students who play this with their downtime as it's one of the few games not blocked at school. I had a kiddo ask for help once, and I was able to figure out that it was Australia by a car dealer in the pic. Then the next pic was in Japan, and I figured out where based on the trees; we were only 100 yards off!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

US only is a bit easier. :p

[​IMG]

10. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

Not bad scores!

I wish there was a Canadian version.

11. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Managed 9655 points. Most of that was from the picture of the truck with the name of the company located in Estonia on the side. Wasn't even sure where to look for Estonia on the map.

12. TheSurgeOn

TheSurgeOn Getting Tilted

13. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Same principle, but I like this one better: Map Race | A Geography Guessing Game

The goal is to guess the correct city as quickly as possible. You can explore as much as you want, but of course the clock is ticking... Wrong guesses get a time penalty.

You can do North American cities or World cities, and varying numbers of multiple choice or simply typing in the right answer.

I'm ranked in the "North American cities/Medium" category.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  14. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Just tried it again and scored an underwhelming 5503 points total. Guessing 4-5,000+ miles off drops it quickly, but I did at least get the correct country when they showed Japan.

15. jerseyboy Vertical

THis game just makes me want to travel! So much fun!