1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Get your golf opinion in...

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by streak_56, Jul 29, 2013.

1. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

So I've been in the market for new golf clubs and after tracking my game for the better part of the summer, the holes in my game is the drive and chip.... so let me know what your opinions are before it is too late... this is what I am looking at:

Adams Super S

Adams Speedline Super S Driver Review : The Hackers Paradise

Callaway Razr X Black

Callway RAZR X Black Driver Review : The Hackers Paradise

Ping G20

PING G20 Driver Review : The Hackers Paradise

I've done a lot of research into the drivers and I'm looking for something with a little forgiveness and I am at the point in my game where I identify my problem areas in my game and can fix it relatively quickly. Going from 58 on the front nine to 41 on the back, I see as serious "confidence" improvement.

As for wedges, I have no clue what to look for. I know I can get a pitching wedge with a set of irons but I am not too worried about my irons right now, but I am in serious need of a sand wedge and a lob/gap wedge (they essentially are the same to me.). Anything someone can recommend?
    --- merged: Jul 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM ---
    For some odd reason... a poll would've been good here....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
  2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I'm a firm believer in the idea that there is no one club for every golfer. Perfection for you means slice-city for me.

But I fucking LOVE the G20. It took 8 strokes off my handicap.

3. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Have you had your swing speed tested? The reason I ask is that it is the *shaft* of the driver especially that is dependent on your swing speed. I have a fairly slow swing, so use regular flex graphite shafted (clubs and driver). It is always worthwhile taking a demo club for a round if you can - our local pro shop has a full range of demos and you can borrow these for a round and see how they fell to you. Same thing with the wedges - if nothing else, it is worth having matching wedges, rather than a 60 degree from brand X, and a 56 degree from brand Y. Depending on your golf skill level the requirements are quite different.

My opinion - Go and get professional advice, even if you don't buy from the professional (though I feel obliged to buy from the professional that helped me if if not the cheapest price).

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

What driver and wedges are you hitting now?

What is your current handicap, or if you don't carry one what do you typically score?

Do you consistently have the same thing "wrong" off the tee? (i.e. slice, hook, top the ball, etc.)

Do you consistently have the thing "wrong" when you chip or use your short irons? (i.e. hit too far behind the ball, blade it, push it, etc.)

Have you either watched any video of your swing or had a golf pro do so?

5. I find that I always hit the blades on the windmill. How do I fix that?

/not-a-golfer-trolling-for-yucks/

• Like Like x 3
  6. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

I need this thread to be titled "Get your Golfpinion in..."

• Like Like x 1
  7. streak_56

I'll try to answer everyones questions as I go. I shoot usually around 96-105 depending on my confidence level. I currently hit a Taylormade Burner for a driver, a knock off 3 wood and irons.

I went to Golf Town and hit on the low end, 200 balls, more like 500. The G20 was an instant slice and the weight felt funny to me. The Razr X Black was hard for me to control, I would correct my swing but it felt like it was forcing me through my swing... I started with stiff shafts but I felt I was forcing it. My swing speed was high 80s to high 90s. I switched to the regular flex because it felt more comfortable for my "relaxed" swing. I noticed if I tried to kill the ball, I would get a super slice but my game is usually soft grip, comfortable alignment with the ball, eye on the ball and don't force the club through the ball. I have a horrible habit of having sex with the ball, which is essentially I thrust my hips towards the ball and end up topping the ball, usually only happens when I force it.

So I moved onto the Callaway X Hot and Adams Super S... Both were comparable, the Callaway was going 30 yards on average farther when I was initially getting down to just two from four, hitting consistently around 240 yards. On average I think it was 45 yards "off centre, which is quite normal for me because I fade left to right, I usually just aim a little bit left and it goes where I want. The Adams was a little shorter than the X Hot (210 yards) and off centre was roughly 35 yards, a little more straight but it felt great, easy to swing.

When I got it down to those two, I hit maybe 50 balls each, just doing my usual swing. The Callaway stayed consistent but when I got more tired, it seems like my fade turned into a slice. The Adams saw its chance and took over, I was hitting an average of 240, with ten balls 260+, plus/minus 20 yards off centre... which made the difference to me, it seemed like I could make easier corrections with the Adams than I could with the Callaway as I got more tired.... and that ended my saga with the drivers.... onto the higher woods....

The woods played out the same between the X Hot and Super S, Callaway with the distance but Adams allowed me to adjust more easily and was more on centre more consistently. The next debate was either a 5 wood or a hybrid... I went with a #3 hybrid that Adams offered and it got the loft and distance I wanted which was around 190 yards. All in all, it was those three clubs and I walked out pretty happy with the purchase.

Now onto wedges... right now in my bag is a 15 year old Titliest pitching wedge that isn't good for much anymore, and I find that I have a hard time getting under the ball. My Dad has a lob wedge that he doesn't use that he's going to let me try because short game is where I believe I can make up a lot of strokes. My putting usually depends if I get any practice in before the game to see how the greens roll and I am pretty consistent with the putting, its the getting to green within 60 yards or so. I need an opinion and pointed in the right direction. I think I'll have to find a place that will allow me to test the wedges for feel before I purchase. I already know I have to put in a lot of hours with the new wedges and drivers at a range. Luck for me, my Dad lives on a course with a free driving range with natural grass...

8. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Go and ask the pro at the course if they have demo wedges you can try out. I have 3 wedges in my bag (PW and SW that came with my irons and a 60 degree lob wedge). Hitting greens regularly is a lot about knowing roughly how far you hit each of these (and everything else in your bag...). Knowing the distance makes picking the right club out of the bag a lot easier.

Also, be aware that you need to use wedges on grass (which is fine on the range above), but using them on on artificial turf range can make you hit them fat (your misses behind the ball actually go ok, as the club doesn't dig in). While the range has its place nothing beats being on the course.

One of the guys I play with regularly has recently bought a set of Adams and is pretty happy with the extra distance he is getting. Good luck with the new purchases!

9. streak_56

The range is grass only, I hate turf ranges, IMO they're only good for tee shots... I'll have to phone and ask but I'm almost certain that the pro wouldn't have demo wedges but it doesn't hurt to ask. It helps my Dad has a rapport with the pro so its good to have a name to throw around I guess.