1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Give some tips/advice to: Negotiating, Haggling, Dealing, & Parley

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by cynthetiq, Mar 2, 2017.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Are you a good at negotiation?

In my younger years, I used to go to the car dealerships to practice my negotiation skills. It was a great way for me to learn how negotiation works and get to test drive a car. These days I still do this. Sometimes I do it as a customer service check or research where I have to negotiate a car lease best price on two different visits.

Back in November, I did a car negotiation for myself. I got a brand new 2017 Hyundai Elantra lease for $59/mo. This by far was one of the best negotiations that @skogafoss and I ever did. The lease deal is fantastic and while it didn't fit our requirements exactly it hit all the numbers that I projected as my requirement.

[​IMG]

Negotiation is two-fold for me. I want to make a win-win situation.

This book is very good in teaching one how to negotiate into win-wins.

View: https://www.amazon.com/Negotiation-Boot-Camp-Conflict-Customers/dp/0385518498
    These days negotiation is the first and last part of my process. First I have to understand my numbers. They have to make sense to me to go forward. It's important for sure, but before I get to that point with the client, I have to understand the person. This is one of the most important parts of negotiation, bonding and rapport.

Here are my tips to get a successful negotiation.

People do business with people they like.
    Why do you think that many deals happen on the golf course? Because people are bonding together. Find something small to connect with them. This can be as simple as liking the same music, color, band, alumni, sports etc. Avoid religion and politics.

It's not winner vs. loser.
    If you think that's what negotiations are, you are dead wrong. Well, you could be right, but you'll just get the one deal. If you ever saw the movie Colors you may remember when Hodges says to his new partner, "There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Let's walk down and fuck 'em all"."

You want to always be able to go back and get the same deal again. If you really got one over on the deal, chances are more than likely they won't want to deal with you again. Make it fair, you'll be able to buy at that price until the cows come home.

Be humble.
    Make them the winner. The more you make it about them the more successful your negotiation will be. Make them feel like they won. Make them feel like the concessions you are giving up have some value to you. They may or may not, but make it seem like you are giving up more than you really wanted.

Give concessions.
    Have some positions you have already setup to give away. Yes, I'm saying think ahead and have positions that you can give up and make it seem like you're giving away something even though you planned to give it away from the beginning.

Know your numbers. Start deep.
    Know 3 numbers. The bottom number or starting point, this number should be ridiculously deep and rejected right away. In fact, you can even act embarrassed to even make that offer. As they say in my business, "If you aren't embarrassed by the offer, it's probably not deep enough." The fair number which is the number that you really think is a fair price for both parties. The high number which is the number that you are no longer willing to go beyond.

I have another number that is really really deep. We call it "kick them in the nuts" offer. It's so deep that it is beyond offensive. It's usually just a probing number to get them to maybe toss out a number.

How do you negotiate? Do you avoid it? Do you like doing it? Do you loathe haggling at the swap meet?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I've been in sales and/or acquisitions for much of my career.
    • Know what you need from a deal.
    • Know what you don't need, but might be seen as important to the other side of the negotiation.
    • Don't give them something without taking... something.
    • Always have your BATNA ("Best ALTERNATIVE TO a negotiated agreement.") ready. A deal doesn't have to go south if you have alternatives at the ready (up to and including walking away from a deal)*
    • Know when you are in a haggle. If it's just about price and nothing else, you need to behave differently from a full negotiation with options.
    • The best deals leave both parties feeling they gave and won something. Uneven deals where one party feels "defeated" are not good deals and will not likely lead to repeat business.
    • Don't be a dick.**

*I have walked away from deals that were not going my way. When the other side came back I knew they were desperate for the deal to close (otherwise they wouldn't chase) it gave me the advantage (which I used to get what I wanted).
    **I've done deals with people who were difficult enough to make me never do business with them again. I always strive to be reasonable for this reason.​

• Like Like x 2
  3. cynthetiq

Can you give me an example of a BATNA?

4. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

As a gentle mom, I have learned a huge amount about getting things done.

I like the book "Getting to Yes" it was required reading for Tt's MBA. I picked it up and thought it was a bunch of bull until I read "Happiest Toddler on the Block", which employs many of the same tactics. Then I re read and found it brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Nope, nope, nope.
    Hate it, don't want to do it.

I remember as a kid listening to my mom talk upon her return from her first trip to Mexico and how much fun she had haggling with sellers. I thought then and I do now that I want nothing to do with bargaining over anything, especially trivial stuff.

It's a thing that many men are good at and if you dig it, I'm glad.
    Selling people stuff is not something I have any interest in. If someone is trying to deal with me, I want them to cut the bullshit and get to the point.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I hate haggling. For me, the best tactic is to know my bottom line and be willing to walk away.

• Like Like x 2
  7. cynthetiq

Sure but what about important stuff?

And women are some of the toughest negotiators out there. I mean tougher than any man.

I don't like haggling myself, but that isn't the same as negotiating.

Things are complicated these days and negotiating is how to get what you want assertively. This is especially important in something as simple as negotiating your pay or vacation days.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

When I bought my house, we lived 1000 miles away, my wife and I actually found something we agreed on, and I was under a timeline. Returning for a 2nd round of shopping would have been painful. We offered full price and never looked back. We probably took a 5k hit, but the consequences of failing were too high.

I'll let you know about negotiating pay. I'm expecting an offer any day (awaiting the background check). I gave them the W2s from my last 2 jobs and asked them to give me a reason to leave. We'll see how that goes over.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I'm self-employed, my current fees are non-negotiable and I set my own vacation days. I think things have always been complicated.

Women often are often reluctant to advocate for themselves. So everyone, study up and be prepared when it's time to negotiate, absolutely.

I appreciate straightforwardness and clear, honest communication. If I can't get that, I'll probably go somewhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cynthetiq

Those things in itself is a negotiation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Non-negotiation = negotiation?

12. cynthetiq

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" - Rush

You being stalwart on your position and someone asking if you can negotiate any pricing is still a negotiation. You being steadfast on your position means that you've stated clearly what your position is.

Someone said this to me today, "Remember, 'Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.'

• Like Like x 2
  13. Charlatan

BATNA, or best alternative to a negotiated agreement, is the things you keep in mind that you can use if your deal starts to fall apart, or sometimes use to hammer a deal closed.

Closing the agreement you want, the exact agreement you want, is a rare thing. The only time that happens with regularity is when a shopkeeper posts something at a price and you agree to pay that price. Done. Negotiations are about trading things you can give up to get the things you really want. Compromise is important.

Two examples of BATNA

1. Walking away from a deal. You don't really need the thing being negotiated, so you are okay to walk away (the other side might not be in the same position, they may need to close this deal).
    2. You have other people that can supply what you need. They are not as perfect as this deal, but they can offer the best alternative. Knowing you have alternatives give you breathing room.

The point of BATNA is that you always need to have options when you go into the negotiation. If you have no options but to close the deal, you are already screwed. You should always have a list of options that you can barter in return for things that you want.

Haggling is a negotiation. It can be one aspect of a larger negotiation, or just a haggle on its own. The key, as I noted above, is to know when the whole deal is really just a haggle. It let's you focus on what's important to the deal.

There is a psychology to negotiations, and haggling (I would suggest) even more so. If you know what to look for in a haggle, it's not that difficult. The numbers will eventually settle on the right price. You just need to be aware, and patient.

• Like Like x 2
  14. cynthetiq

I guess the difference for me and in my mind for haggling is that it's usually strictly seen as a money negotiation. I guess you can be haggling other points of the negotiation, but seemed to have honed in on swap meet/flea market/stall shopping.

15. Charlatan

No, you are correct.

A haggle is the negotiation of money.

My point is that in a large negotiation that is full of moving parts, a haggle over the money can still be part of the larger negotiation. Some deals, despite other elements, do come down to a simple haggle and it helps to recognise when this happens because you can get distracted by the other parts when you should be concentrating on the haggle.

For example, many of the deals I did when buying TV rights often came down to a haggle over the price. The moving parts of those deals: exclusivity, territories, media rights, term of license, etc. were often not an issue. Most rights holders were perfectly fine with anything I would suggest. The only thing they they really cared about were price and payment terms. Knowing this, I could use it to my advantage, and did so many times to get a much lower price.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I did sales years ago.
    Was pretty good at it. (sales manager, some awards, set records, etc...)

I've always found that people buy on the "energy" of the sale.
    It doesn't matter what you're selling...or what techniques...but they get hungry when they feel a certain "vibe".

It could be your enthusiasm, it could be your confidence...or it could even be the raw rush and pace of others buying.

I remember some of my best times were I didn't even try any methods, but just running like mad to get to each person and ask them what they want...people would buy even more, in no time at all.

-----
    And there needs to be an "investment" by the seller.
    If they don't care, if they're languishing, if they don't engage...then a buyer will wander away. Or not upsell, buying just the basics not any more.

If you don't have the energy or hunger (sick, stressed, morale, distracted, etc...)
    You at least, need to have a starting point as a template...put yourself into "administrative mode"
    A method that allows you to sell without the energy you don't have.
    Even a menu or board to point to...some standard questions, some standard tried and true upsells.
    Something you can do with your eyes closed.

But nothing makes it better than when you invest yourself into a sell
    and the customer can feel that excitement.

----
    When going for a big purchase (smaller ones, I know what I want, I get it..quick, simple)
    But larger buys of some significant amount...that's where I get my info.
    I find out the best times to buy.
    When companies and salespeople are their most hungry. (to leverage them)

I get lot of info to compare and contrast
    Develop a baseline (what to expect, what is reasonable for the market, what options are priced at...and useful for me)
    I know sales, so I can play their game too.
    I can walk away, easy.
    I can call my contacts of interest (to inquire real-time on comparative info or even do like they do at time, "asking their mgr" to create a "wait")

The key is, the purchase has to be right for me.
    The terms often come down to what is the distinct cost on a monthly basis. (what is going to be the impact, is it doable??)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I can only offer this as a buyer:

1. I do my research.

2. I know the price I'd like to get the item for. How close I get to this price very much depends on just how badly the seller needs the money, or if they're simply wanting it gone with little regard for it's actual value.

3. I know what a fair price is for both sides would be. If this is where we end up, and I want the item, I'll buy it.

4. How far above the fair price I'm willing to go if I really want the item (this is the tough part).

IMO dealing with individuals on one-time sales is much easier than negotiating with a business where future transactions are likely. Unless the individual is an uninformed ass--"I paid a thousand for the guitar [not a popular brand with a high resale value] new, so I can't take less than 750." And I've known folks who walk away from truly greats deal simply because they stupidly dig in their heels--"Man, like I said I just can't go 250, how about 240 [looking at a guitar that is easily worth a minimum of 500]?".

-------------------------------------

The closest I came recently to hardball (not in the adversarial sense) negotiating was our car purchase last year. I narrowed the choices down to the Chevrolet Equinox and the Toyota Rav4.

The Chevy salesperson was a great guy who didn't use high pressure. I was also very honest about the fact that we were comparing various makes and models, and might not choose an Equinox. That served a dual purpose: It motivated him to get to a competitive price, and didn't raise his expectation that we were "hooked on" the Equinox. He used some discounts to make the price very attractive. He also mentioned an additional discount, but said that would require waiting nearly two weeks in order to place the vehicle on a monthly Manager's Special List (I don't recall what name he actually used), which would require approval from GM.

And of course he mentioned "if the vehicle we wanted was still available." What he didn't mention was the Chevy dealerships were going to be receiving the redesigned 2017 models in a few months, meaning they were motivated "to move" the remaining 2016 models. I did mention this to him, casually, "I see that a redesigned Equinox is coming out, y'all should have some in around May or June." The 2016 vehicle we liked was placed on the Manager's Special List.

My wife, who would be (is) driving the vehicle, ultimately chose the Rav4. Toyota, as usual, didn't offer many discounts, but we got a price close enough the Equinox price, and the option of a rebate or 0% financing (and a couple of free small upgrades, some special mats and a cargo area cover, that didn't cost the dealership very little). Whether or not the Toyota is a better vehicle worth the extra money is subjective.

• Like Like x 2