1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Google Chrome Extensions

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by GeneticShift, Jan 28, 2014.

1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Google Chrome is my favorite browser. There are lots of reasons, but I love the available extensions that make my life easier, and I'm always on the lookout for new ones.

Ones I like:
    Checker Plus for Gmail: Gives me desktop and in-browser alerts for email, so I can delete/read/and respond to my email without having to open new tabs. It's especially useful for the ad emails that I get - I can delete them right away without opening a new window.

Hola Better Internet: I can watch Netflix Canada!

Query scholar: Toggles Google Scholar search on and off. Super useful for finding research articles for my thesis at any given time.

Youtube MP3 Converter: Self explanatory, but functional!

AdBlock Plus: Keeps the ads away.

What are some of your favorites? Why?

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Zotero Connector, so I can click a little button in my browser to save citation info to Zotero.

Silverbird, so I can check my Twitter feed without going to Twitter, as that's usually not necessary.

Google Tasks.

The Reddit Enhancement Suite. Dear God, how did I browse Reddit before? I only like a handful of subreddits, so using RES keeps it simple.

3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Ghostery - let's me know what tracking me and let's me block those services

AdBlock Plus - why I never know what people talking about when they complain about ads on Facebook.

4. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I used to have Chrome to Phone, which was great when I had an Android phone.

I don't have an Android phone anymore.

#sadtrombone

5. Reddit Enhancement Suite - for when you just have to waste time a little more efficiently.

Evernote Web Clipper - lets me clip snippets of web sites directly into Evernote. Super useful for me.

KeePassHTTP and ChromeIPass - seamless integration of KeePass into Chrome.

AdBlock Plus - obvious.

Always on the hunt for new ones. This thread is very relevant to my interests.

6. snowy

Gorbachev, for the NYTimes paywall.

7. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

What?

8. snowy

9. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

Very useful thread I am going to try them now. Will post if I find useful ones.

I already have lastpass. One password and it manages all my username passwords

10. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

chromebar.PNG
    You're so cute, toolbar.

11. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

I love the checker plus for Google calendar. Donated to turn on all features.

12. fjmollot

fjmollot Getting Tilted

Some good ideas around here, though I am mostly on Firefox.

13. Jager

Jager Vertical

Turn off the lights - darkens the background , perfect to watch videos.
    WOT - alerts you to sites in google that are at risk for viruses or spyware/malware.
    Pocket - allows you to save articles for reading later.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Web of Trust is a huge one, it warns me of potentially malicious sites and gives me a good dose of guilt every time I click through the warning that I gave the Daily Mail poor ratings.

Not an extension, but if you're really gung ho about privacy, SR Ware's Iron Browser is a Chromium-derived browser with privacy enhancement built in.
    There's a lot of overlap, most plugins that are available for one are available for both. Gotta capture the market of residual hatred from the days when IE was a truly terrible piece of software and not just an unintrusive thing that comes with Windows and can run ActiveX controls.

15. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

TubeEnhancer - remove ads from YouTube videos and other handy stuff. No spam or clutter; love this little extension.

Tube Enhancer