1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Daniel_, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

I was surprised to find that there doesn't seem to be a thread on this.

Went to see it this week, and its mental, but good fun. I want a Groot.

My daughter just wants to adopt Rocket.

Anyway, my question is, does the appearance of a certain much loathed character from the past in the after credits cut scene indicate that this character is getting their own title? :eek:

2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I was going to start one myself.
    Loved this movie.

The general response from Marvel is that there is no intention of making a movie based around the character.
    However, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up in the Guardians sequel.

3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

It was an excellent and fun movie. :cool:
    **Loved the soundtrack.

They actually did better with characters than I thought...and the irreverent banter was entertaining.

And I didn't realize that they would bring in Nova...and the Nova corps into the whole thing.
    Much less a reference back to Celestials, which was cool.

Lots of good obscure background from good old 80's comic books...especially from their sci-fi stories. (although, not exact to continuity...close enough, especially considering these types of plotlines tended to mix & match anyway)

Any geek who hasn't seen it, should. And any non-geek would have a great time too...even without knowing the references.

@Daniel_ they have said that you don't have to worry about seeing a movie dedicated to said character seen in the Easter Egg. (I think they were just trying to keep the Marvel Universe "insider" angle at full tilt funn)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. Daniel_

I thought the introduction of Nova was done well, and liked the way that they introduced the whole "people call me Star Lord" thing as a bad and failed attempt to generate a nickname.

The stuff about the great hero Kevin Bacon was propper funny too.

5. redravin

Nothing goes over my head, my reflexes are to fast.
    I would catch it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I loved it. I wouldn't want any of the big mainstream superhero movies to be done campy and funny, but this was a perfect title to do that with. Decent writing-- not top-shelf, but good enough-- good acting, good effects. Lots of great references to classic Marvel sci-fi lore. I was happy.

7. Daniel_

One lingering question.

The tshirt that peter is wearing at the start of the film, for raft tours, is that the same fictional company that hires the raft in Deliverance?

8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Alrighty then, I looked up the film details on wikipedia out of curiously, then instantly skipped them just to see who is seen at the end. I had at least heard of the character from the 1980's film mentioned but not surprisingly had no clue that was based on a Marvel comics source. I have managed to not see that film the past almost 30 years, and not likely to change that anytime soon. It looked a bit cheesy, and this is coming from someone who likes Golden Turkeys like Plan 9 From Outer Space and They Saved Hitler's Brain (epic car chase scene that ranks up there with Bullitt for all of the wrong reasons).
    More to the point, I had no clue these characters were from Marvel Comics as well. Never heard of them before, or this other character seen in the post credits. I am inclined to see this just because it has a bald-headed Amelia Pond with blue skin playing a villian?, don't really care good enough for me no matter what her role.

My knowledge of comic books in general has always been limited, and this is a good reason why I would probably like this film. I expect it to be sci-fi action popcorn and have no clue if or how badly they are screwing up the source material. I despised the Spiderman films with Toby for the most part because I knew how badly they started with the appalling organic webshooters and it just got worse from there.

9. redravin

They actually did a great job of bringing the comic's alive even with the changes to their back story (and really every new writer changes canon).
    People who don't know the comics will enjoy it every bit as much.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Daniel_

And today, we discovered that they have Guardians sets in the Lego store! :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snoogans

Snoogans Getting Tilted

I too, loved it!

I haven't read aything other than a Rocket Racoon/Groot collection I purchased the week before seeing it, so I was kinda expecting it to be like any other Marvel-movie, but the sheer entertainment of it blew me away!
    I love me some comicbookmovies, but they are generally pretty "serious" action with a few laughs sprinkled in.
    I laughed out loud at this movie more than I have at 90% of the comedys I've seen, and the actionscenes were amazing(I even had to duck a damn knife at one point!)

Starlord was awesome, Cooper's Rackoon was great, and Bautistas performance was really the surprise of the movie! Ronan was supremely badass at all times. Michael Rooker..

I guess I could go on sucking this movie's dick all day, but it really is everything I wish for when I pay for a movieticket.
    --- merged: Aug 11, 2014 1:33 PM ---
    Oh, and about the mid-credit scene:
    I got so pumped when i saw "the character" in the backround earlier, and the utter deflation in the theatre after the credits in contrast to my excitement was hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  12. rogue49

[​IMG]

word. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Daniel_

I wonder if there will be any crossover with Agents of SHIELDs next series?

14. rogue49

Actually, it would be funny to have Rocket Raccoon pop by...I'd think even that would put a twist in their noodle even after all they've seen.
    Unlike the comic continuity, the movie/TV SHEILD agency is still getting used to the expanded universe...*ahem* "Multiverse"

It's even more funny & interesting to watch the rest of the NON long-time comic fans see for the first time all the characters and aspects of the Marvel & DC universes.
    It's like they're starting to get the inside joke and worlds that fanboys have been loving for years. I love to share.

The world is catching up... :cool:
    It's a wonderful thing.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

Just saw it for a 2nd time...just as good.
    And now I'm into the soundtrack...especially re-enjoying 10cc's "I'm not in love" and Elvin Bishop's "Fooled around and Fell in love"

PSA - All the GotG Easter Eggs. - Link *warning-spoilers*

• Like Like x 1
  16. Speed_Gibson

Just watched it, my thoughts.
    The only character I knew at all in this film was the one shown after the credits; how he fits here I have no clue and not enough interest to look it up.
    Best part - outstanding soundtrack. I would buy the soundtrack before the film.
    Great casting and the visual work is superb as well as you would expect from the budget and list of people shown in the credits in that department.
    The characters were well written and the pace was solid. I did some minimal research on wikipedia during the film and saw this Collector character has been around since 1966. Fortunately for me, they could have kept just the names and scrapped everything else the comic books have established for them.

Karen has a good fake American accent but I so prefer her proper Scottish accent. In this case her delightful accent would have been odd, so I understand.

My overall take fits the Dorky comic posted on this page. Not bad overall, but not worth writing home about. I have no idea where these people came from or where they might be going based on the source material, but I will watch the sequel after it hits the video market. I might be waiting to still watch the Hobbit films then the pace I am going with those.

17. Speed_Gibson

ALrighty then, I thought about this film and have a question -

When the Piemaker is facing the Guardians minus Groot at the final battle he is shocked that "mortals" can wield the device. Does this mean that he is immortal himself, and the energy from this stone thing is the only thing that can defeat him?
    I am really curious how what kind of twist there is with Peter's father, but I would rather wait for the sequel. This is too big a carrot to dangle to not deal with somehow.

I get the feeling (what I already know) that I am missing fifty years of backstory here that was handpicked through when writing this script.
    Much like the recent Star Trek films in the alternate timeline, if I had never seen any of the series before watching the first film I would have rated it as "ok but not great, a standard forgettable sci-fi action film". As it is I think they are terrible films and still regret wasting money in the theatre. Either way it gets no higher than 2 Rotties out of 5.
    Back to this film - This was a good summer popcorn flick that I enjoyed. I give this a rating of 3 Rotties out of 5.

18. redravin

Ronan The Accuser went through all kinds of rituals so that he could handle the Infinity Stone and that was only long enough to slap it into his ax.
    He is on a power level with Thor so he's got the juice to handle it for a while but it would have killed him soon enough, even having it in the ax was taking its toll.
    I think there's even a line about that in the movie.
    And yes, they do mention at the end when The Nova corp show Peter his genes that his father is one of the old ones so that's why he could hold the Stone but even then he needed back up.

19. Speed_Gibson

That bit of information at the end from the Nova Corp was a nice teaser. They told the viewer nothing about this group which leaves people like myself wanting more information. No doubt the comic book readers know all about them. I suspect this film is a mashup of some stories which has some core hard core clamouring at the "You changed that? Issue #402 in October 1995 clearly makes that impossible." type of things.

20. redravin

I suspect the director is going to make his own story for Peter's father since it's been retconned a couple of times in the comic books.
    Originally his mother got pregnant due to a convergence of the planets and stars with her standing in the right place.
    There was actually a scene where the father decided that Peter didn't look like him and tries to kill the boy only to have a heart attack.
    Some how I don't think that's making it to the movie screens.