1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Having a beer and watching Prohibition (Ken Burns Doc)

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by issmmm, Oct 2, 2011.

1. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

Ken Burns documentaries for me have been either been an out of the park home run or a hard swing and a miss, both as entertainment and information

Is this one gonna be a discreet pitch for legalization?

2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I'm not sure. I'm with you on the hit or miss situation for him. I think it is a matter of the material more than anything.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I haven't seen it yet but I really want to. Last week was a grind of homework. This week is much the same. I will probably have to wait to get it from the public library.

I really love the documentary on the national parks that he did.

4. cynthetiq

I haven't seen that one, but the jazz and the baseball one... I didn't care so much for. Mark Twain was okay but mostly because of the subject matter. I don't care much for baseball so that one was going to be a stretch, but I like jazz so I dunno.

5. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

Haven't seen it yet, don't plan too. I really just came in to share this:

[​IMG]

I think even if it was not intended to address legalization at all, it still would.

6. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

I saw one episode......it was enough
    Maybe it's the set up, it just didn't seem to move

7. MuteyTheMailman

MuteyTheMailman Vertical

I don't know what it is about Ken Burns' documentaries, but I just love them. I just love the style of them. I find them totally engaging. I couldn't stop watching Baseball. That's when I first fell in love with Burns' stuff. I saw part of an episode of Prohibition this weekend and was automatically hooked. Too bad I was at my in-laws, and don't get PBS at home. I suppose I could rent it.

8. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

I'm going to end up watching this one I'm sure. I haven't seen all of his stuff, but Baseball was amazing and The War was phenomenal. There's a few others he's done that I'll end up watching as well, but I've been doing mostly war based docu's lately.

9. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

watch it at pbs.org
    I'mgonna go back, maybe later episode get better

10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Appears to me that you can only watch clips at pbs.org. This might be because it's pledge drive season, and I know that my public broadcasting organization is giving away DVDs of Prohibition as a thank you gift.

11. cynthetiq

Every time it's pledge time I want to buy American Experience: New York DVD & Softcover Book . I haven't had time to watch this latest Ken Burns thing...I guess I should put it on the Tivo.

12. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

Wow
    until now I thought of the PBS as the Public Broadcasting Service. I have watched a bunch of very good docs, films, news shows, etc on their website. My rule of thumb has been if it had been broadcast you could watch it online. I promise, only a couple days ago it was up

I can't believe they took it down
    for the pledge drive...I'm diisallusioned

13. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I just read somewhere that public opinion on legalizing pot is around 50%. It's the first time it's ever been this high.

(pun not intended but certainly appreciated)

14. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

Huh?
    I'm for legalization, in fact legalize everything with the understanding that if you f-up it's on you. No sponsered rehab or any other health care for drug related maladies. It would be a huge tax bump, at least in the short run.

But huh?

15. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I finally am getting around to watching the first episode now (yay for free streaming vie Amazon Prime and Panasonic VieraCast). Pretty interesting stuff IMO. The only other Ken Burns docs I've watched were the baseball and Civil War ones, and I liked both of those. His style appeals to me.