1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Healthy crock pot meals

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by ralphie250, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Does anyone have any good and healthy or not bad for you crock pot meals? We love to use the crock pot.

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Oh yeah.
    I love this lady: A Year of Slow Cooking: Alphabetical Listing of Recipes

One of my favorites EVER: Crock Pot Chicken a la Criolla | Skinnytaste
    (we also add some Louisiana hot sauce sometimes, when serving, to give it a little pop)

And, my all time favorite (a little extra cooking at the end, but O.M.G.!): Greek Chicken & Vegetable Ragout Recipe | Eating Well

I have a bunch more at home, when I make it back to Florida next month, I'll add things. I'll be picking up my crock pot to bring back, too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Ralph I can't remember, do you deer hunt?
    We cook some of the tougher venison cuts in the crock pot and make delicious stews.
    Very healthy and very easy to do.
    Let me know if you have venison.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ralphie250

Yes I hunt all types of animals and love venison.

5. fflowley

Simple as can be:
    4-5 pounds venison roast.
    Put in your crock pot with a sauce of: 1 cup chili sauce
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    3 tbsp brown sugar.

Cut up potatoes, carrots, other root vegetables to your liking and add those.

Add 1-2 tbsp raw barley if you have it. It will soak up a lot of liquid and make a nice thick gravy.

You can cook all day on low if nobody will be home to start it during the day.
    I actually prefer to start it around noon and cook on high for 4-5 hours but either way you are going to have a really healthy dinner.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Somewhere in our CBs we have a CP recipe for a nice lean pork roast (IMO pork gets a bad rap because of the fatty cuts; we have no problem enjoying lean pork). I'll need to find the recipe.

What I clearly remember is you brush the roast with what seems like an inadequate amount of soy sauce, but as the roast slow cooks the soy sauce works its magic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ralphie250

the only thing we have ever really put in the crock pot is a roast

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

9. ralphie250

I've never cooked venison in the crock pot. But I have some in the freezer from last year. Is it good in the crock pot also??
    @borla

10. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Take one or two thawed venison roasts, add in a jar of pepperoncinis (including juice), a bunch of garlic, a touch of salt, some black pepper, a packet of onions soup mix, and let it cook all day. Shred it up when you take it out. You can serve it on sandwiches, in tortillas, or by itself.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ralphie250

I knew you would know. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I do a mix of beef shank and lamb shank in the crock pot. I start on the stovetop, then move to crock pot.

2-3 each lamb shanks and pieces of beef shank
    4 slices beef bacon, chopped
    2 medium onions, sliced
    6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
    3-4 medium carrots, peeled and chunked
    6-8 fingerling potatoes, halved
    3 tbsp pearled barley
    3 tbsp farro
    3 tbsp kasha (buckwheat groats)
    1 small cinnamon stick
    1 tbsp cracked black pepper
    1 tbsp sea salt
    2 tsp marjarom
    1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    32oz beef broth or stock
    1 bottle good quality ale
    1 bottle good quality hard cider
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    3 tbsp cider vinegar
    3 tbsp honey
    Water to cover

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, render the bacon for its fat, reserving the crispy bits when done. In the bacon fat, first brown the shank meat, then remove meat and reserve, and cook the onion and garlic until translucent. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, adding water if needed to cover all ingredients. Cook on low overnight: start around 7pm, should be ready for lunch the next day. I sometimes serve this with a side of kohlrut (sweet and sour red cabbage).

• Like Like x 2
  13. fflowley

This sounds great.
    How spicy does it come out? I'm wondering if my kids would eat it.

14. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Not very IMO. You could dial down the peppers if you wanted, but it is fairly mild. Like Italian beef with peppers.