1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Hey TFP, let's watch a rocket launch ...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MSD, Nov 13, 2013.

1. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Douglas Adams famously said that the trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss. To manage orbit, you want to miss by a generous margin by going a few tens of thousands of kilometers per second sideways from your initial reference frame.

Media Accreditation Open for ORS-3 Mission from Wallops in November | NASA

Demonstrate and validate launch and range improvements blah blah blah it's a DoD payload and a reminder to those damn commies that we still have working ICBMs. The important part is that OSC is beating swords into plowshares (sort of) and launching a DoD payload ... scratch that, the payload is a military dick waving contest.

The important part is captured in this image from NASA Wallops.
    http://i.imgur.com/m5c1zAG.jpg

That's the visibility for next Tuesday's launch. Between 7:30PM and 9:30PM. I watched the LADEE launch from a beach in Fairfield, CT and it was incredible. Solid rockets leave a lot of crap in the atmosphere as a contrail, and the flame trailing behind the rocket lights it up. The exhaust plume becomes a streak of fire across the sky, and if you're anywhere in the visibility area at launch, you can see it. At the outer edge, it will be visible 10 degrees above the horizon. For those without a protractor, the average person's fist at arm's length (hand perpendicular to the horizon) will cover about 10° so it's a convenient reference.

I'll update with a webcast link next week, and if you're in the area and want to join me for the launch, PM me.

• Like Like x 4
  2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I won't be able to watch in person, but I'm planning on watching the sky that night. Really hope it's clear.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

One of my favorite colleagues is a longtime NASA nerd and a member of a social media group that was able to spend the LADEE launch weekend onsite at Wallops, first touring parts of the facility and then watching the launch from an observation area on their property. Pretty fucking awesome if you ask me. Plus, I just like saying Wallops.

So yeah, count me in.

• Like Like x 3
  4. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I've seen other rockets launch and have watched a space shuttle launch before. It is worth checking out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I wish I could be there. I rented a condo with a view of the shuttle launch site one year. The day before the launch they announced a four day delay (due to weather I think.) That was Thursday and we had flights home Sat. and work on Monday. I watched the shuttle launch on TV yet again, thinking if NASA really had rocket science type people and what not they make a damn weather machine or shit that can fly through rain.

7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Certainly gets my interest up, but I haven't been near the east coast for a good 14 years now.

8. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Beating @MSD to the punch (I believe) with a webcast link:

Live coverage of the launch is available via UStream beginning at 6:30 p.m. EST on launch day at: NASA-TV Wallops on USTREAM: . Science.

Get excited!
    --- merged: Nov 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM ---
    Also, there's this: Adult Programs | Space Camp

And that is fucking awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. CinnamonGirl

Okay, who wants to loan me $600? I NEED TO DO THAT.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'd pay $600 for @GeneticShift to do a Boomerang of Despair face in Mission Control.

What silly faces do you bring to the table?

• Like Like x 2
  11. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Send me the check, I'll send you video.

12. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

HOLY SHIT THEY HAVE SPACE CAMP FOR ADULTS!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

It would probably just be you, a stoned Joaquin Phoenix, and a broken down old Roomba that only does donuts sitting in a quonset hut on the outskirts of Cape Canaveral.
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  14. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

If you're trying to make it sound bad, you're doing an awful job of it. I'd gladly share a blunt with him and belt out Johnny Cash songs in mission control.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

And me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Wait, I wanna come. That's only like 2.5 hours from my house.
    And I've totally had a thing for Joaquin Phoenix since it was probably a little pervy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

TFP Takes Command of Adult Space Camp.

People, this could seriously happen.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CinnamonGirl

I absolutely adored him in Signs. And the Village. And...hmmm, actually, I think those are the only two I've seen him in, besides Walk the Line. I sense a movie marathon in my future.

YES. That would be so, so awesome.
    --- merged: Nov 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM ---
    Ummm...I do a pretty awesome fish face?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  19. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Rent Space Camp, stat!

20. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Picked out a spot to watch the launch from this evening after my bootcamp class ends at 7:30. I just hope the cloud cover cooperates and I don't forget to bring some binoculars.