1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

hotmail's forced changeover to outlook?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Lish, Jan 29, 2013.

1. im wondering if anyone else has this problem.

i logged into my hotmail and was forced into a changeover to microsoft outlook? i didnt actually choose anything, it just went ino outlook mode.

i cant open emails (although i can see them) and i cant change it back to the hotmail interface settings. ive tried IE and chrome with no luck so far.

anyone else experiencing this?

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

3. i got an email about an hour before the switch happened but i was too busy to open it. im not sure what it said though. i cant open any emails right now.

4. Baraka_Guru

Is there an option such as Upgrade to Outlook.com?

Can you post a screenshot?

5. [​IMG]
    --- merged: Jan 30, 2013 3:26 AM ---
    there was an option to upgarde to outlook but i never took it.

there's also an option to go back to the hotmail interface but that doesnt seem to work. ive tried logging out and back in a few times but nothing seems to work right now. i can only delete emails but cant open any up

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  6. Baraka_Guru

Is the option still there? Maybe if you click it, it will complete some kind of switchover.

Have you cleared your browser's cache, closed it, and reopened it?

Also, I read that Hotmail has been down several times lately. My guess is that they're botching their little switchover. Maybe this is just a bug that they will eventually work out.

In the meantime, these are the only things I can think of at this time that may work.

7. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

People still use hotmail?

• Like Like x 5
  8. Baraka_Guru

(I didn't want to say it.)

Not for long, apparently.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Hah!

Great to see you also get the Groupon and Vistaprint newsletters. :D

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Move to Gmail. It's much better.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

i don't like Gmail so not necessarily is Gmail 'much better' for everyone Charlatan

otherwise Lish, no, i haven't experienced that 'problem' on my desktop or new touch screen laptop, both of which i use the Opera browser now

wins8 is also on my touch screen laptop and at this stage, i still have the option of switching between Outlook and Hotmail on both laptop and desktop but i don't like the Hotmail interface so i'll be glad to see the back of it ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  12. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Hotmail is a crapdoodle compared to Gmail. The usability of it is >>>>> Hotmail, by far.

13. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

that's only your preference Remixer (and mine) - unless you have evidence to prove otherwise - so again, it aint necessarily so in general

• Like Like x 1
  14. yes i still use my hotmail email because ive had it since my uni days. Its been about 15 years now since i first set it up. Everyone knows my email, and its linked to many of my other accounts/forums/and other misc stuff ive signed up to.

if you notice on the left side that i do have a gmail account that get synced with hotmail and vice versa. to be honest, for me it came down to 'if it aint broke dont fix it'. hotmail worked fine and did what i needed it to do. Gmail i found is a little harder to use, but thats probably because im so used to hotmail.

anyyyyways..

it seems like its fixed itself now. im able to read my emails now. i clicked the button to go back to the hotmail interface and sent microsoft a not-so-nice email in the process.

Martian dont you just hate it when these web-people behind the scenes try and force stuff on you? don't ya?? huh? huh?
    --- merged: Jan 30, 2013 at 5:18 AM ---
    yes. once u sign on, no matter how many times u unsubscribe, you're never getting off

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Hey Caustic Rebel, in my opinion, Gmail is better. I can respect that you have found something to like in Hotmail. But my experience tells me that Hotmail isn't so great. Then again, I stopped using Hotmail about 10 years ago.

16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Pretty sure if we put it to a vote, Gmail would win. There's a reason major organizations choose Gmail for their email support.

Gmail makes it pretty easy to transition from other email services. It's relatively straightforward to set up forwarding from exisiting accounts, and it's also relatively simple to set it up so it will reply as if you're still using your old account. For instance, I have my Gmail set up to reply from four different email addresses--two uni addresses and two regular Gmail addresses. It will likely soon be five, as my employer is switching over to Google's web services.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

but as i said in the first instance Charlatan, i DON'T like hotmail either hence 'i'll be glad to see the back of it'

also if i hadn't created the new hotmail address, i wouldn't have been able to use the full functionality of my new touch screen laptop so in effect, i was forced to use hotmail ;)

my gmail account is also only used for downloading/buying smartphone apps

good to read Lish your hotmail has resolved itself

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013