1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How seriously should this be taken? Man suing White Castle for small booths.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Another quote from a different article:
    I'll preface my opinion by saying that I weigh a little more than I should. I let bad habits and a sedentary job for several years add up. Over the last 6-8 months I've really tried to sustainably adjust my eating and exercise. I've lost about 30lbs and want to continue to lose for a while more. But I wouldn't dream of saying "I have bad habits and you should help me continue them", especially via a lawsuit.

I'm all for people with actual handicaps or disabilities being accomodated. But this guy seems to be outside of that parameter IMO. He's overweight and complaining that they aren't enabling him even further, isn't he? And doesn't the whole 'I send my wife to get me White Castle because I feel so ostracized now' bit seem a little over the top?

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Heard this on the radio this morning. What a sad statement about this culture. And placing himself in the same group as pregnant women and the physically disabled is sheer foolishness.

3. superlucid

superlucid New Member

I think White Castle's response was more than generous. It responded to the complaint and took his desire for enabling into consideration.

In fact, I think White Castle was going with the approach to invite him to be more health conscious by giving him the goal of fitting in the smaller seat. Way to go on the rebranding as a health conscious company, White Castle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Reading this today has actually made me crave White Castle. I haven't had any in probably a year and a half.

5. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Never have tried them or even lived close to one. Unless there was one in the Jacksonville or Orlando FL area when I lived there.

6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Judge: "you are a fat f@#$ - case dismissed"

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Maybe they should just hang a sign reading, "No fat people."

8. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

^^^^^^^
    well ....
    http://jezebel.com/351622/mississippi-to-ban-fat-people-from-eating-in-public

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

:(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Yup.

For me, this topic is difficult, because from 4 till 13 I was a Fat Fcuk. I then slimmed out and remained so for many years. Eleven years ago I stopped smoking, and also lost some of the health which allowed me to do 'automatic' exercise. Eg I can no longer bicycle = no more calories burnt as part of my 'natural' cycling habits. I've lived on the receiving end of the murderous hatred fat people get. Object of mental and physical abuse from so-called peers. I have also lived on the 'other' side, without, however taking on the role of tormentor. And I am again overweight, though not as much as when I was a child, and I have better assertiveness skills.

So I ... bugger. This topic is difficult for me. I'm not sitting on the fences, I am solidly on opposing sides of them and am therefore tearing myself apart a bit. I hope I'll have something useful to contribute later, but for now "That's All Folks" with a picture of Bugs Bunny who, whilst not exactly looking suicidal, ain't a happy bunny.

11. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I think they should make booths at fast food joints even smaller, and have a sign that says "If your ass is too big to fit in our seats, you need to order a salad to go". Something like that.

12. LoganSnake

LoganSnake Vertical

Salads are only healthy as long as you don't drench them in dressing, sprinkle it with chunks of crispy chicken and order a side of supersized fries.

I hope this case is thrown out of court. The state of health in this country is absolutely disgusting. As is a sense of entitlement.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Borla

Exactly. I have a number of acquaintances who order the salad with fried chicken, loads of cheese, and extra ranch dressing because they are on a diet. :eek:

14. LoganSnake

LoganSnake Vertical

There's your 1000 calorie healthy meal of a salad right there.

15. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Also further down, the law basically says private entities serving the public (e.g. a restaurant) cannot discriminate.

As far as establishing obesity as a 'disability....' I doubt this case will fly.

16. Borla

Obesity can be a symptom of a disability, but I don't think obesity caused by simply a lack of self control should qualify.

17. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Let's take a trip to whitecastle. I'll be the quirky asian. We'll have plenty fun riding cougars. :)

18. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

When I said a salad 'to go', I think I meant to take a walk, get some exercise along with it. I forget how crafty fatties can be with ordering extras on salad.

19. Borla

• Like Like x 1
  20. LoganSnake

LoganSnake Vertical

Cheetahs. Cheetahs, not cougars.

Unless you meant women over 45 and you, yourself, being under 30.