1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

How to repel snakes

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, May 15, 2012.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Any suggestions on how to keep snakes away? I keep.finding snakes everywhere. Ive killed a few this year. And i HATE snakes. I know some of them are ok, but i still hate em. Any suggestions???

2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Only one way to keep them away.

Chuck Norris / Jet Li combo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Go on a plane ride - you never get Snakes on a Plane.:D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mongoose

We're no help are we?

5. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I see how helpful google is on this topic <How to Repel Snakes From Your Backyard | eHow.com>, that is not much better than our suggestions so far.
    You could always get a condo up there where the Jetsons live, just watch that first step off your porch it's a doozy.

6. i was thinking the same question the other day. ive been doing a fair bit of hiking and running on the trails in the mounains and im always nervous at the thought of snakes.

its not like you can repel snakes like u do with leeches..

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Is is just because you don't like them? They do wonders controlling mice, rats, and bugs. I only know that making a lot of vibration on the ground when you walk will alert them to your presence and most will take off. My first official job involved total care for 15 snakes, among other animals, and I loved it. They have such personalities and distinct likes/dislikes. Fascinating. I'm not sure you could repel them without some sort of vibration or heavily odored product.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Damn, Craven Morehead beat me to the mongoose suggestion. :p

We use a granular snake repellent outside at work...but it doesn't really help. All the snake-ridding tips I've read seem to say the same thing-- clean up brush, keep the grass short, keep the woodpile sealed up, etc.

Basically, your property has something they like. Unfortunately, if you live out in the boondocks, they probably like a lot of the same stuff you do.

9. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Maybe symbols of St Patrick would help?

I also hate snakes and think all of them should be killed. I even hate eels.

10. Remixer

The hell? Eel is delicious.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. ralphie250

What about a cat?

12. Strange Famous

I caught them sometimes when I used to go fishing and I hate the way they move

I had jellied eels once and found them almost foul, don't know if there are better ways to serve them.
    --- merged: May 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM ---
    a honey badger might be better.

but I dont know if any snake would dare defy a true sign of St Patrick. Some people scoff at these things, but its worth trying and will likely to more good at keeping out evil creatures than just mowing the lawn more often.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Depends on the size of the snake and the size of the cat. Garter snakes, sure.

15. Remixer

Well, yeah. Jellied eel says it all, I think.

And I answered your question with the picture I put up in my previous comment. Grilled eel is a very common topping for Nigiri sushi, and also sometimes found in Uramaki sushi (pictured above).

Grilled eel in Japanese cuisine is usually covered in tonkatsu sauce. Pretty good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Strange Famous

A Rowan Tree is also a good idea to have. Traditionally they were supposed to offer protection from witches but it might also have an effect on evil beings of all kinds.
    --- merged: May 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM ---
    your pic is just a broken link when I look at...

On the one hand I would encourage the eating of eels as if people have a taste for them it means more eels will be killed, but I dont know if i could bring myself too personally.

I dont irrationally hate many animals, but I hate all snakes and anything that looks like a snake.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  17. Phi Eyed

Phi Eyed Getting Tilted

Pray to St. Patrick

• Like Like x 1
  18. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Man, now I have a hankering for eel.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ralphie250

Typically its either rat snakes, black ones from the creek, seen a few rattle snakes and some other brown snake. Some ive seen are 5 or so feet long and others are alot smaller like 2 ish feet. I killes one the other day in the middle of my driveway at 1030 at night. Went out to smoke and take the dog out and there the sob was. Needless to say i beat the hell out of him with a limb trimmer.

20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I used to eat unagi sushi like a motherfucker at the all-you-can-eat sushi places before I became a lame vegan.

The devil inside me keeps "reminding me" that it's just a phase.