1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

I HATE electric stoves.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by DAKA, Nov 21, 2017.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I've been waiting 25 f'ing minutes for a large pot of water to boil for my lasagna noodles...
    (Rant over)

2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Electric stoves are better than nothing.....but that's all they are better than.

3. DAKA

Thanks, I got very frustrated waiting for the water,...finally broke the lasagna noodles in half and used a smaller pot...it's in the oven now
    Chef John recipe....

4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

That's way too long. Is the element plugged in fully? Is the element OK, not damaged?

5. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

My electric range boils a large pot quickly. Maybe something is wrong with yours. For pasta, also helps to start with hot tap water.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DAKA

This was very large enamel pot, I changed over to a heavy bottom s/s and it finally boiled...(still not happy with electric stoves)

7. Chris Noyb

We're the fourth owner of a house built in '64. I suspect the electric range top original, or at least very old.

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Newer electrics come with specialized burners for boiling water. Inevitably, when someone complains about their electric range to me, it's because it's 15-20+ years old. Mine is probably about 4 years old, and it's awesome. Sure, not as responsive as gas, but the burners heat up fast, and I can adjust the size of the burner for the size of the pan. I can boil water for pasta in about 10 minutes (from tap cold).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

When I was much younger, sometime in the early seventies, my mother bought an electric stove with the very early ceramic? smooth-top? unexposed burner rings. Those burners took forever to just to get hot, much less hot enough to boil water, and they took a long to time 'cool' down. If you needed to "boil, then reduce to a simmer" you needed to have a second burner going for the simmering.

Ours isn't ^ this bad.

Edit: We do have a gas pipe in the wall separating the kitchen and living room. That's something we're keeping in mind should we ever do a serious kitchen remodel. And of course over the summer we bought a brand new elec oven (and seriously need a new range top).

10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have cooked multiple large meals on mine. I love that it has both a warming center (very low burner, good for melting and softening butter) and a warming drawer. There are two adjustable size burners, so I can fast boil pasta in one and make sauce in the other. I can make pasta puttanesca in about fifteen minutes as a result!

Samsung FE710DRS 30" Freestanding Electric Range with 5 Radiant Elements, 5.9 cu. ft. Flex Dual Convection Oven, SteamQuick Self-Clean, Warming Drawer and Twin Display Glass Touch Controls

• Like Like x 1
  11. DAKA

Stove is a ceramic top from 2001, so, we are planning on selling the place very soon and moving so I guess I'll "suffer" through it...
    Electric ovens make great sense, but personally nothing beats a gas cooktop.

12. Chris Noyb

I

it!

13. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

That looks very similar to my Whirlpool. The radiant top heats up pretty quickly, the warming burner is surprisingly useful, and mine is convection, as well. We didn't have propane when we bought it.