1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

I just bought a sword

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Strange Famous, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Its for my works Xmas Party, I am going as a Roman Soldier. Its made of "polypropylene" which apparently is close to the weight of steel.

Looks allright, doesnt it?

Blades-UK.com :: Large Picture

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Cold Steel has a very solid reputation even if their founder/owner is a little eccentric. I'd imagine that hunk of plastic will serve you well as a fashion accessory or beating someone across the clavicles.

Are you going to hit your stunt sword with a rattle can or two and make it silver / brown? Do you have the red man-dress and appropriate headgear for this party?

True story: I conducted part of a righteous mock trial in said attire during college. Everybody was amused.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I kind of like Plan9 's idea of painting it to look more realistic. But I'm not sure how well the paint would stick long term to polypropylene. Is it common for Christmas parties there to include wearing costumes?

4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

I've seen lots of poly swords that are painted, not sure how they paint it. but whatever method they use, it seems to hold up quite well.

It's a great looking sword though.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

A rough sanding plus some polymer-formulated spray paint works well on a wide range of materials.

Krylon, for example, has a line of paints designed to adhere to plastics such as cheap lawn furniture.

I use said paint to camouflage hard goods like helmets and holsters as they typically come in black.

Masking tape and a few cans of paint (silver, gray, brown and tan) will really dress up your prop sword.

Paint the whole thing using the light colors then create edge detail and the like with the dark colors.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  7. ring

ring

looks okay yeah. stout and sturdy!
    perfect choice for the first battle of 'The War on Christmas!"

8. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Yeah it does, Santa won't stand a chance..that will teach him to but us on the naughty list ;)

9. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

SOMEONE TO L.A.R.P. WITH!!!!

10. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I want to buy a sword.

12. Think you want it silver. I think along with your breastplate, you will be wanting a short skirt, and animal skins would add. Funnily enough, we used to get Roman soldiers drinking in a local pub - re-enactment group.
    Dont forget, body hair is a no no, so you will be wanting to wax or shave or something. You might find some costume ideas from the Gladiatress girls -

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOjsmjnPp_E
    --- merged: Dec 3, 2012 5:21 PM ---
    This may be of more help. The legion from Fishbourne

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmKDQ4TWPC8

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I am a bit of a purist, so if I'm going to buy a sword, I want it to be able to hold up to being used. I've always wanted a sword from this site, but never have gotten around to it.

Starfire Swords. Be prepared to go back to HTML3 in the wayback machine.

Otherwise I agree with Plan on what to do with it. Man know his stuff.

15. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

HAHAHA i know a dude here at the Academy who owns that exact same sword.

it'd be one thing if he had it for decoration or for a costume, but no. he actually practices with it. that is, when he isn't flailing around and slicing pretend-ninjas in half with with (also untrained use in) wooden katana.

16. kurdtisj

kurdtisj Vertical

• Like Like x 1