1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

If you could pick just one 80's icon.....

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Speed_Gibson, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

If you could pick just one 1980's icon from television what it would be? The initial choices are:
    0) The indestructible 1969 Dodge Charger from the Dukes of Hazzard. This vehicle can routinely make 100+ foot jumps and land without a single scratch, broken axle, etc. (Never mind the 230+ Chargers they destroyed during the whole production run)
    1) KITT - Taken directly from Wikipedia so I get the technobabble right : "KITT is armoured with "Tri-Helical Plasteel 1000 MBS" (Molecular Bonded Shell) plating which protects him from almost all forms of conventional firearms and explosive devices. He could only be harmed by heavy artillery and rockets, and even then, the blast usually left most of his body intact and only damaged internal components. "
    Having your voice provided by William Daniels raises the cool factor by itself
    2) Airwolf. We can assume for our purposes that someone else is footing or at least helping with the nasty fuel bill and with maintenance costs. And you get full access to all of the weapons.
    3) Something else.....<insert your own pick from the decade here>

my personal pick is leaning toward KITT, if only because I drive and have driven way too damn tired on a regular basis and knowing the computer would take over for me would be nice to know. But Airwolf would be effective at avoiding and "clearing out" traffic as well.

2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi :)

Yup ... no hesitation .. I'd go for KITT as well. Amazing car!

3. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

I'm kinda partial to the GMC van from the A-Team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

If I'm recalling correctly, and I'm probably not, K.I.T.T. didn't have any offensive weapons. They were all defensive.
    I'd take Airwolf's chopper over the other two, just so I could blow shit up.

Although, it'd be could to have all of K.I.T.T.'s technologies and nigh indestructibility put into the General Lee.
    I like the looks of the Charger better than the Trans Am.

5. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

did K.A.R.R (KITTS evil twin brother) have weapons? If he did then I'd take that one :)

6. Chips

Those guys were the collest guys EVAR! made me want to be a cop.[​IMG]

7. wolf Evil Grin

I loved The General Lee, but I'd have to go with Airwolf... that was the coolest thing ever.

8. Speed_Gibson

The standard commercial birds with the plain paint jobs just do not look anywhere near as "cool" or menacing. I always liked the idea of a supersonic stealth helicopter myself.

going right to the wikipedia entry for this - "The flying Airwolf helicopter was actually a Bell 222, serial number 47085, sometimes unofficially called a Bell 222A.[2] During filming of the series, the helicopter was owned by Jetcopters, Inc. of Van Nuys, California.[3] The helicopter was eventually sold after the show ended and became an ambulance helicopter in Germany, where it crashed in a thunderstorm and was destroyed on June 6, 1992, killing all three crew members."

9. AWESOME!

I'd also love Magnum PI's Ferarri 308 GTS

But with the choices provided, I'd definitely go with KITT.

10. DrSublime

DrSublime New Member

Optimus Prime. Transformers came about during the 80's. And a giant gun and sword toting alien that turns into a Mack truck that you can drive. Epic.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

11. Speed_Gibson

good call - I am thinking that Starscream could kick Airwolf's or Blue Thunder's ass even on a bad day without breaking a sweat.
    and to stay almost vaguely ontopic, why did they have to change Bumblebee from a oh so cool classic VW bug into a shiny sports car for those latest live action films? Just how much of that film did Chevy pay for?

12. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Knightrider! Cool car that talks, drives itself, not to mention comes with its own garage on 18 wheels complete with smoking hot mechanic!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

13. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

14. Speed_Gibson

I like it! It has been a long time since I have seen that first Mad Max film.
    That brought to mind the flying motorcycle from Battlestar Galactica 1980. It cloaks and outrunning the cops is much easier when you can go airborne.

15. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

I'll go with Blue Thunder, the police helicopter. Yeah, I know AirWolf has missiles but its overall design is so... meh. Blue Thunder just had a menacing look to it. Besides, any BT fan knows that chopper can defy the laws of physics.

*sits back, tries to do a Roy Scheider impersonation, fails*

16. Speed_Gibson

did Airwolf ever manage a full loop on the series like Blue Thunder did?

17. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Never really watched Airwolf, so I can't rightly say. (My TV was in tune with my preferences, which meant any attempt to watch a rival show and it would shut itself off.)

But, I'm going to say no, and anyone who wants to believe me is welcome to do so. ;)

18. Speed_Gibson

I was looking online and apparently some of the newer Apaches out there can do rolls and loops. They have some kind of extra propulsion besides the rotors which lets them accomplish it.

19. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Dudes, if we're going 80's movie transports, I'll pick Megaforce's vehicles, especially the flying motorcycle, and also the Gyro Captain's gyrocopter from The Road Warrior.