1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Infomercial Products

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by GeneticShift, Apr 2, 2013.

1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

We've all been there. It's 2 am, you can't get off the couch, and you hear the magic phrase...
    "The following is a paid commercial advertisement for...."

I'll be the first to admit it. I fucking love informercials, and own several "As Seen on TV" products.
    I got the Magic Bullet blender and a Snuggie as joke presents, but I actually use them. The Magic Bullet grinds coffee like no tomorrow, and I use it for single serve smoothies and guacamole/dips. The Snuggie was great for cold Upper Peninsula nights.

My dad has the Ninja and the Nu-Wave oven and is obsessed with them.

One of my good friends at school had the Perfect Tortilla pan and Perfect Brownie pan, and they both were awesome. We had many taco bowl/brownie dinner nights with them.

More than the products themselves, I absolutely love the cheese factor in the infomercials themselves, especially the cooking/kitchen product ones. Everyone is oooh-ing and ahhh-ing at a 30 second smoothie, and have the post-orgasm look on their face after they drink it. I think my favorite part, though, is the black and white "struggling to put away my pots/pans/make spaghetti" clips to show how difficult your life is without the product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, what are your thoughts on infomercials and their products?
    Do you own any?
    Do they work/not work/summon Satan?

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I'll get more into my purchases later, I just want to know if the Ninja is as good as it's cracked up to be on the infomercials, GeneticShift?
    Especially the ice-crushing part.

3. GeneticShift

I love it. It actually works incredibly well. I think the more square shape of the blender part works better, and the blades are crazy sharp. Be careful though, because I've definitely cut myself cleaning them on accident.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have enough real kitchen stuff to keep me from being interested in infomercial stuff. The only thing I've ever bought that was remotely infomercially is OxiClean, which isn't very infomercially anymore.

5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

That is definitely one thing that cracks me up about infomercials-- how they make simple things look so damn hard. "I cannot possibly wind this hose up without it getting tangled and ruining my entire life!"

As previously mentioned, I am all about the music collections. Singers & Songwriters, Golden Age of Country, Monsters of Rock....I will sit and watch them all, all the way through, sometimes more than once. "You would have to spend THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to get all these songs!" I am always tempted, and I'll start doing the math..."well, that's only, like, $1.11 per song."

My dad bought the TimeLife Rock 'N' Roll Era collection. My favorites were 1957 and 1961...my brother and I were the only kids I knew who rocked out to oldies on a regular basis.

I do remember not being able to sleep at like, 4 in the morning, and came across a fitness collection infomercial. I found myself reaching for the phone, but made myself wait until the next day to check out the website. Glad I did, I would've ended up paying about $100 more than what I planned.

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

You do know a great number of those are on torrenting sites.

7. GeneticShift

WHYYYY CAN'T I STRAIN THIS PASTA WITHOUT BURNING MYSELF AND SPILLING EVERYTHING?!?

I love the music collections too. They're actually not terrible deals if you do the math. I've considered getting them on multiple occasions.

And snowy I have enough kitchen appliances and supplies to last me forever, but that doesn't stop me from wanting a totally unnecessary cool looking gadget!

8. CinnamonGirl

Yeah, but I like having the boxes and the cd inserts and stuff. I mean, I probably have a good deal of the music on my iPod, to be honest.
    --- merged: Apr 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM ---
    Oh! I DID buy Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds collection back in...uhhh...2001 after watching the infomercial. I don't remember how much I paid, to be honest, but it was birthday money or something, so it wasn't a big deal. I ended up really liking them, and I still use them sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GeneticShift

Especially the ones that come in the collector's tins.

10. CinnamonGirl

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I bought that Singers & Songwriters collection. Very good list of songs. I put most of them on my Xbox and listen to them while playing a game.
    I once had a full lobby threaten to mute me because I was playing Wichita Lineman too loudly over the speakers. Pissed 'em off.
    Kids these days have no appreciation for the finer music in life. ;)

Also, thanks for the info, GeneticShift. :)

12. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Kids are waaay too busy enjoying the glorious strains of music like Bieber, Nickleback, and One Direction.

Did do I do that right? We are supposed to blame every other country for our problems, even for the music we as a nation willingly buy?

13. I love the parodies/when they make fun of infomercials.....

I have a snuggie.....it's a bengals one of course.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GeneticShift

eggs are hard.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I love when she says yes.

17. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

She doesn't say yes to you, fool.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CinnamonGirl

:rolleyes:

In other news, I had no idea there were so many infomercial-related gifs. I'm dying over here.

[​IMG]

19. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

• Like Like x 1
  20. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

• Like Like x 2