1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Atom : No or Go

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Zweiblumen, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

I have to upgrade my home server and am wondering if Intel Atom wouldn't fit the bill. It will mostly be a file server and possible web server, there are no intentions to use it for media playback.
    Any opinions ?

Thanks, Zweiblumen

2. wolf Evil Grin

3. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

If you're looking for a file server/storage device and maybe even a light weight web server you might look into QNAP's NAS boxes. They a fairly full featured range of NAS storage and most of them are already running Atom CPU's anyway. I'm not sure what your budget is so these might be way past it.

4. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

I'll second Ice|Burn's suggestion. It seems like most NAS devices feature everything you ask for. File server, web server, photo album (web based), torrent client and DLNA for easy access to your media files in the network. Some can even work as a hub for your network cameras, stream audio via AirPlay or be a mail server. All of this in a ready-to-go box at a price tag it's hard to beat if your rolling your own.

5. Zweiblumen

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Just to clarify the question was and is : "Is an Atom CPU an realistic option for a home-server"
    I'm currently running a P4 2.4 Ghz but it ain't 64 bit which is were I'm heading.

Thank you all,
    Zweiblumen

6. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

Oh -sorry for the derailing. Yes, in my opinion i think an Atom CPU is sufficient - at least for your use.

7. Zweiblumen

It wasn't derailing, those suggestions from Ice Burn and you are very good and will hopefully help those that are thinking generally about file sharing and simple services for home networks.