1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Internet Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by redux, Nov 14, 2011.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

The issue of an internet sales tax has resurfaced with a bi-partisan bill that was introduced in the Senate last week. It resulted in part from an agreement between Amazon and the State of California several months ago that will require Amazon to collect sales tax at the time of purchase on all sales to residents of the state starting next year. (what starts in Cali......)

The Marketplace Fairness Act would apply to internet sales NOT internet access. A Supreme Court decision in the '60s and again in the '90s ruled that a catalog seller was not required to collect state sales tax unless it had nexus or a physical presences in the state. More recently, the decision has been applied to online sales as well as catalog sales. Several years ago, Congress also imposed a moratorium on taxing internet sales where there is no nexus because of the difficulty of online businesses complying with so many different state/local sales tax options. This bill would effectively overturn that moratorium.

It is estimated that state and local governments are losing $15+ billion/year in lost sales tax revenue.

The proponents argue that it would level the playing field between brick and mortar stores and internet sellers/virtual stores. The opponents argue that it would hurt the small online sellers and is still too difficult to administer.

This bill would exempt online sellers with gross sales of less than $500,000.

With that provision, I am leaning to the side of the proponents, although I have concern that it might still be more beneficial to the big online sellers (who already collect the tax because they have stores in most states) and hurt those smaller online sellers.

http://marketplacefairness.org/what-is-the-marketplace-fairness-act/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57321644/internet-sales-tax-an-idea-whose-time-is-now/

2. Alistair Eurotrash

Why not just set up a standard rate for internet sales tax that will be paid to the State in which the buyer lives.

That wouldn't be complex.

3. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Legally, the buyer should be reporting online purchases and paying the taxes when they file. This does not happen because of a combination of ignorance and willful fraud, and this proposed law would make it easy for states to collect taxes to which they are entitled. I won't lie, I'm going to miss tax-free large purchases, but this updates outdated laws to be more with the times and I'm OK with that.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

As long as I don't have to pay sales tax (I live in OR, we don't do that here), it's fine by me.