1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Is nepotism inherently wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Oct 6, 2017.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

How do you personally define nepotism?
    Why is nepotism bad?
    How does nepotism differ from providing an enthusiastic reference?

No, I am not trolling.

You know someone. They are a great fit. They have the skills needed to complete the needed work. You know you will work well with them, that they are a team player. Sure, there are other applicants. They may interview well, but they are unknown. There is a huge hurdle for the unknown to overcome in order to get the job. They must show that they are more qualified than the known.

Then there's the aspect of relationship. Someone incredibly good at their field has a child. That child is inundated with trade secrets and various knowledge their entire lives. When they become old enough to work, they are prepared to jump in, they don't have that learning curve that comes with understanding company culture or the product line, they live and breathe it. And that child adores it. They have great ideas. They get all the right schooling to make their dreams happen and to take that company to the next level.

I have only heard of nepotism being bashed when someone is incompetent at their job, yet gets to keep it because of nepotism. But that seems to be the exception rather than the norm, in my limited life experience.

Yes, a diversity of ideas comes from a diverse work force. And any good leader knows to listen. But how is someone less of a leader because they were born into something, vs working their way into it? What negative traits follow legacies? And why do we need to shake things up?

2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Nepotism isn't inherently wrong, but like most things in life, business and politics it's all about how something is executed.

My father owns a company and occasionally has made use of my skills because he knew I would be a good fit for the work requirements of each instance, would be able to get involved quickly, don't need onboarding/extensive instructions, can be trusted with confidential information, and he can rely on me to go the extra mile (which I do generally for work matters but even more so in these cases since it is for the benefit of the family unit). Many pros, and - other than somewhat conflicting personalities - not many cons. 9 times out of 10 it worked out very well.

My SO's boss owns the company and he brought in his daughter to be a Director after she had managed to get herself fired from every corporate job she managed to land and was on a steep decline, so he wanted to protect his baby girl from becoming a failure and feeling down as a result. She was utterly incompetent, often made a mess of the tasks that needed to get done, picked fights with clients and partner companies, had constant fights with her father, incessantly caused office drama, brought ungodly levels of pettiness into the fold, and was generally a toxic, whiney princess about everything. This went on for years till the father had enough - meanwhile the company lost out on tens of millions in business. It was an expensive lesson, and certainly had the potential of completely derailing the company he spent 40 years of his life building.

When I think about good nepotism, I like to think about the Ottoman empire. Leaving modern value systems out of consideration, they were quite an effective lineage of rulers for some 600 years, and had instilled a strong sense of duty and discipline into the heirs of the throne from a young age, while ensuring a high quality and varied education. Respect from the subordinates was earned through merit, they had a culture of treating their underlings with respect, and competence was generally highly valued.

Then you look at 90% of general nepotism, and how badly that turned/turns out. If you go about it with a thought-through and systematic approach instead of making decisions formed through base emotional thinking, it can be a great resource. It should never be considered the only viable resource in most scenarios, though often the convenience and perceived sense of trust is very tempting.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

This is a problem often faced by those "of color" and women. Qualified, but an unknown quantity. In many businesses (especially the "closely held" small businesses) they start out disadvantaged because they are not part of the club or old boys network. They have even less of a chance competing against family and friends of current management.

On the other hand, yes, a diverse work force can bring diverse ideas. But they may also bring disruptive ideas, and can be closed minded in their own (but different) way. Good or bad? Only time can tell.

• Like Like x 2
  4. genuinemommy

If you take someone who is highly skilled in one area, and bring them to another, they are going to solve problems differently. They will bring innovation.

If a company is saturated in nepotism, it will not be able to progress as quickly as one that seeks differing voices, and will be at a competitive disadvantage overall.

So where is the balance?

5. Lindy

Ah, the universal and perennially unanswered question.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

My thought as well. Finding the correct balance in the use of nepotism is every person's struggle, and there is no definitive answer anyone can give.

7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

No...
    BUT, it's the potential of abuse or conflict of interest that may occur is the issue.

Yes, that person may be skilled and you know & trust them
    However...often when checks or business decisions need to be made...they aren't. (favoritism)
    And sometimes leads to corruption.

It's like speed limits.
    We have them not because the majority doesn't have common sense.
    But a few endanger everyone else...by going recklessly fast or neglect.

Same diff.
    Prevention of abuse or neglect

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Not inherently bad. Private industry I don't care that it happens. It pisses me off when it happens with public entities (gov't).

You want to run into a public organization that has been hiring family and friends, and then expect service... Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lindy

I think it's really unfair to assume that friends and family are inherently lazy, incompetent, slackers, whatever.

In my mid-size home town there were numerous successful businesses in the second or third generation of family ownership/management. Off the top of my head I can list off a Ford dealer, a mortuary, Mexican restaurant, a well drilling service, a grocery, a couple of building contractors, a tavern, automotive machine shop, music store... These firms didn't go into second or third generation success by being a refuge for management's worthless friends and relatives.

When I worked at Dad's hardware store I worked my little butt off. I wanted to contribute to the family, not be a mooch!

Maybe it's different in government.

I will grant, however, that nepotism always looks bad, even if the workers are of indisputable competence.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. genuinemommy

Family run big business is a thing! nepotism is working for these companies:
    The 21 biggest family-owned businesses in the world