1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Is Skyrim worth upgrading my PC?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by MMB737, Nov 6, 2011.

1. MMB737

MMB737 New Member

Don't know anyone who has played it yet. Looking for some honest reviews. Thanks all.

2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi
    People haven't started playing it yet because 11.11.11 is when it will come out.
    We need to wait until next Friday.

3. MMB737

MMB737 New Member

Oops...thought it came out last week. How could I forget 11.11.11??? Silly me! Thanks Zen.

4. Eddie Getting Tilted

I'll be playing it on my PS3. My PC is for Portal 2, Civ V and Shogun 2...and a bit of Minecraft.

5. MMB737

MMB737 New Member

Thanks Eddie. Is it better to spend the money on an X-Box or a PS3 instead of upgrading the PC?

6. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I've done that kind of thing myself.

Meanwhile, here's what seemed to be a sneak preview on YouTube ... I was taken in by it only 20 minutes ago as I was seeing info about how the game development has been progressing:

• Like Like x 1
  7. MMB737

MMB737 New Member

You have a twisted sense of humor Zen!

8. Eddie Getting Tilted

Well, if you're talking about just adding a higher performance video card, then that would be the most cost efficient. But if you need a faster processor and upgraded memory then you should probably just buy a new rig. And a quality gaming rig with an i7 processor, plenty of RAM and high performance vid card will run you upwards of $2000-$3000. So the next best option, imo, would be the PS3 because it comes with a built in bluray player, wifi, nice online features including Netflix and a pretty decent online store. I don't have an xbox but I've heard the graphics tend to be better on the PS3.

9. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

thinking about getting this, the question is for pc or ps3 though?

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm torn at the moment. I looked into it and my machine passes the "recommended" system requirement. The only question is whether the video settings will be able to match the PS3 settings without lag. I have my doubts.

I do like the idea of mouse + WASD vs. DualShock...but I am getting used to using the DualShock for 3D gaming. I'm fine as long as I don't need to do a lot of shooting.

11. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

that pretty much sums it up. i'm a die hard mouse user and console games that have a lot of aiming frustrate me to no end. howerver, being able to prop my feet up on the coffee table and watch it on the big screen does sound nice though.

12. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

I have never enjoy games on a PC as much as my Xbox because the Xbox is so much more relaxing. I can play using my Xbox in a comfortable reclined chair or in bed - on a big screen TV. I don't know how the PC crowd with mouse and key board can play for hours at a desk - too much like work for me. I will sacrifice a bit of graphics performance.

I have already alerted my wife to find something else to do this weekend. I am even thinking of getting the game at midnight. If it is as good as I think it will be, I will be playing it for a long time (at least until Mass Effect 3).

13. Eddie Getting Tilted

My PC is connected to my 50" flat screen tv along with a wireless logitech keyboard and a wireless logitech mouse. So kicking back in a recliner while gaming on my PC is totally cool.

14. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Having trouble visualizing how you kick back using a keyboard and mouse. Don't you need a flat surface for the mouse? How do you balance the keyboard? When I travel I will play PC (laptop) games in a hotel and I have never figured out how to do it, unless I am sitting at a desk. I am not a "hater", and I want all forms of gaming to thrive, so I am just curious.

15. Eddie Getting Tilted

Well, sitting to the right of my recliner is a coffee table/lamp stand. I have my mouse pad on top of the table. The wireless keyboard is very light, backlit keys. It's actually a really comfortable setup.

16. Arc101

Arc101 New Member

It has got to be played on the PC for me, just because of the all the mods that will come out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Eddie Getting Tilted

Yeah, that's a really good point. With the consoles you'll get the DLC, but it's not the same as user mods.

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The reviews are glowing so far: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim

One reviewer said that if you take what you loved about Morrowind and remove what you hated in Oblivion, then you'll have Skyrim.

And from PC World:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2435...beguiling_magnificent_dance_with_dragons.html

That sounds pretty good.

I'm still not 100% certain of which platform to go with though. I'll wait to see what the performance reports are like.

19. uncharted

uncharted Vertical

I keep my PC updated to play the most demanding games. In most cases, the graphics will be better, and as one user mentioned...the mods can be awesome. You can also pre-order/pre-load games and get them as soon as the official release time without leaving your house. I also have a PS3, but use it more for a blu-ray player, exclusive titles, and a media center. My preference is PC. For FPS ( such as BF3 ) keyboard+mouse is superior. I pre-ordered skyrim, and can't wait to play it. It appears to be epic. Had a lot of fun on youtube checking out gameplay clips, etc. For this particular game, the fan base will stretch it's fun factor ( and longevity ) to the limit with mods.

20. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

Most games I have to go with the PS3 anymore. My wife is a closet game addict that lives vicariously through watching me play. If I was playing something and she couldn't watch she would be so upset.