1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson Pollock by Daka

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by DAKA, Aug 5, 2017.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

DSC_0012.JPG August 5 2017

How I started making Jackson Pollock type paintings

Many many years ago ”in a land far away”, when I still lived on Long Island we took a ride “out east”....East Hampton, West Hampton ...etc.

Somewhere along the way we stopped into a gallery and saw some Jackson Pollock posters...interesting style…..Drip Splash I think it was called

This was mid 1970’s in the pre Al Gore internet <vbg>, so research was done in libraries, with books

I decided to have a go at it.

Needless to say “it aint’ as easy as it looks.

Lots of canvasses and plywood backings wound up in the fireplace.

But, persistence pays off I finally achieved a sort of “Pollock”. My technique improved and we had “Pollock’s” all over the house.

Back then we were having dinner parties quite often and one of my friends asked if I could do one in specific colors for his living room.

Over the next few weeks I was able to turn out a fairly presentable piece that they were happy to hang in their home.

Then over the next few years a small gallery in Manhattan sold a few of my paintings.

Skip forward to after I retired in 1990 and here in Florida I have a “studio/workshop where I do my woodworking, working on my cars and paint

I have not been showing any of my “stuff” for the past few years after a few galley mishaps and the galley operations changing, these days you are generally just renting wall space.

So now I paint for myself, and as therapy.

Note...I will post more when I figure out how to

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

As much as I like the picture I suspect it doesn't really do your painting justice something I discovered about Pollock's painting as well.
    The size makes a major difference as does the texture.
    If you don't have a monitor the size of the painting you really aren't going to appreciate the scope and impact.
    The texture of the paintings makes your eyes follow the drips and get absorbed in the painting.
    Great work man, thanks for sharing.
    Look forward to seeing more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DAKA

Redravin
    I have done some large paintings...one 9' x 30" that were for a specific place in a friends apartment, and some 4 x 8' that I have stored in my "studio"
    Not only that, I find that it is nearly impossible to appreciate these types of paintings unless the picture is photographed "professionally"
    It looses the color and vitality....(big words)
    The major problem with very large paintings is transporting them.
    For one that is in the entry of a condo building in Hallandale (FL) I had to rent a truck....major PIA. (but $$$ made it worth it)

• Like Like x 2
  4. DAKA

DSC_0021.JPG Here is one more this one is mounted on a mirror wall with construction adhesive.
    These pictures in my home are not recent, this one was done to "match" the couch.
    I had to adjust the camera to reduce the size of these pictures.
    I will take pix of the ones in my studio soon

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  5. DAKA

I need some advice on how to photo my paintings....any tips?

6. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

maybe HDR photos?

7. DAKA

Ah ha, and how do that work....I do have a Nikon D3100...( I use it on standard settings)
    (Tech nerd)

8. cynthetiq

9. DAKA

I started to read that, immediate eye roll....(aint' gonna happen)

10. cynthetiq