1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Job Search Tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KirStang, Aug 30, 2011.

1. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Hey All,

I realize this thread is sort of self-serving, but I'm in the job market and worried about finding a job. A lot of internship applications that I sent out during law school came back rejected, and my GPA/resume is "okay" at best (3.24/some minor DOJ experience).

I've been doing a lot of cover letters and thinking of calling old employers who I used to shadow, as well as calling old acquaintances who are now working in the law field.

A couple of questions/discussion points:

1.) What tone should a cover letter strike? I found a "dream" job and sent an application, but I wonder if the tone of the letter was too colloquial. The Berkeley Law website recommends a very formal tone.

2.) Big issue here: A lot of job openings require/ask for 3-5 years of experience. Obviously, I'm not looking to enter as Sr. Associate, but in this economy, what avenues do I have for gaining experience? I was considering emailing the local DA's office, or, emailing a not-for-profit and volunteering my services when my bar results come back in. Again, I'm also going to call an old "employer" who I used to shadow.

A lot of past entry-level jobs, such as prosecution, clerks, etc. are now all snatched up, as applicants look for public sector jobs when the private sector isn't hiring.

If I was to look for a job as a law clerk to a judge--how should I talk about my 'connection' to the locality, especially since the locality is one I've never been to (i.e. near Pensacola).

3.) Not being self defeating. I have a lot of issues with this. I need to maintain a positive and engaging attitude, but I tend to stray closer to pessimism. Any tips for shedding that defeatist attitude?

4.) I missed 2 calls, one this morning and one from yesterday--the caller didn't leave a message. I was going to call tomorrow morning. Two questions: Do employers usually NOT leave messages? And, what is the proper etiquette when returning a call from a potential employer?

/Whinefest.

This is my first 'real' career level job, so the transition's a little difficult for me, especially given the timing and circumstances. Any tips, from cover letters to resumes to interview etiquette (i.e., what do you think about follow up letters?) would be great.

Thanks!

2. Network, network, network.

LinkedIn

Make sure everyone you know is aware that you are looking and what you are looking for. Ask for them to make introductions. Realize that you are going to strike out much too often but that you are only going to hit that home run if you keep your focus on what's ahead, not what has happened.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

People use Linked In? Who are these people and in what industry do they work? I've tried to get something out of it for years and it's nothing but Web 2.0 fluff. Having a good single page resume is a To Do, with the standard two-page available on request. Many TFPers are good at fixing resumes.

Have you considered working for law enforcement? State and federal agencies are hiring and assuming you'd have a huge leg up on the competition. And the US Army JAG route is also a good way to get that hot-hot experience you can't seem to get a chance to gain anywhere in the civilian world.

4. LinkedIn has a great jobs section. I'vc heard many companies prefer to hire from LinkedIn rather than CareerBuilder or other job boards as they do not have to pay a commission to LinkedIn for new hires. Don't know if that is true. When I was looking for a job, I used LinkedIn extensively for job searches as well as a way to build out my network of contacts.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

KirStang,

How willing are you to relocate?

I mean, I know you just moved back to sexy-fun-time paradise and all, but if you want a job, you should consider looking in other areas as well.

Hell, look at me. Nobody in 4000 miles radius would hire me.

6. KirStang

More than willing to relocate, but trying to stay within the US and legal industry for 2 reasons:

1.) I'm also in the National Guard, so it's nigh impossible for me to skedaddle once a month to run around playing officer candidate.
    2.) I've already invested something like $150k in to becoming a lawyer. If I jump to a different career field, it won't hurt me per se, but I will forgo the opportunity to invest in the experience necessary to become a high 6 figures lawyer doing something fun.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Certainly. Gotta stay with what you know. And being close to home is really nice.

1. How hard is to go active from Nasty Girls? I think we talked about this, but if you want those 3-5 years of experience, it's right there.
    2. Should have had the military pay for school. Isn't the NG gonna reimburse you for some of it for pinning a turd to your sternum?

8. KirStang

Man, no call backs. Not even from a lawyer I used to shadow. I called offering to intern for free so I could gain some job experience. Called about 4 times, left a message twice and haven't heard back. I think I get the hint.

How bad is the job market out there?

I'm telling all my friends I'm in the job market. I need to see USA jobs again and see what new positions have popped up recently. Applied to a couple but I am absolutely sure competition is fierce. Most jobs want 3-5 years of lawyer experience.

Should I just suck it up and work as a sushi chef while I try to pursue my law career?

9. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Really depends on a few things, KirStang.

How does your financial situation look? Do you have to immediately find something?

You could always try being an assistant to the General Counsel of a medium- to large-sized NGO. Or assistant to the assistant.

If it's about your CV and you're nervous about having the smallest possible unemployment gap in it while also not making it look bad due to completely unrelated jobs, try any position in a law-related company or organisation, whether the actual job description has to do with law or not. Hell, try being a junior receptionist at one of those places. Don't apply for cleaner positions, unless you're looking to become Michael Clayton.

I'm not in the US, so I don't know what the industry over there looks like. Here in Afghanistan, there are dozens of US-based NGOs and also some US-based law firms.

USAID has many legal counsel positions for Kabul. Motley Legal has a branch office in Kabul and employs mainly US-learned lawyers. Both options probably aren't for you, as almost all their positions require extensive experience. Some of them don't.