1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Legalizing same-sex marriage: Domino effect?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Another country has been added to the list of those legalizing same-sex marriage.

The New Zealand parliament held a vote, and this happened:

View: http://youtu.be/DW4DXOAXF8U

More broadly, some recent developments have happened. In November 2012, referendums in Maine, Washington, and Maryland approved same-sex marriage. And the constitutionality of Prop 8 is currently being considered by the Federal supreme court.

In Uruguay, the legalization of same-sex marriage is just awaiting the president's signature after the bill passed by a 71-22 vote on April 2, 2013.

The list of nations legalizing it now numbers eleven. With New Zealand and Uruguay added soon, it will be a baker's dozen.
    • Argentina
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Denmark
    • Iceland
    • Netherlands
    • [New Zealand]
    • Norway
    • Portugal
    • Spain
    • South Africa
    • Sweden
    • [Uruguay]
    In Mexico and Brazil, certain areas have recently legalized it.

Legislation is pending in places like England and France.

Debates are occurring elsewhere.

It seems a lot has been happening beginning over the past few years and coming to fruition as of late.

Do you think this will lead to a tide of change?

I'm hopeful. It's about time.

• Like Like x 2
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The video is really lovely. The love song they sing after the vote, "Pokarekare Ana," moved me to tears. Such beautiful music, sung for a wonderful reason. It's heartening to see such a celebration of love and acceptance in a parliamentary chamber.

I am an advocate for marriage equality. I'd like to see it in my state. I'd like to see it everywhere. I think it could do a hell of a lot of good for the institution of marriage. Here's hoping that this surge continues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

This is very heartening.

The dominos are falling. Progress is being made.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redux

redux Very Tilted

Polls over time reflect the changing public opinion in the US

In 2003, gay marriage was supported by 35 percent (+/-), opposed by 55 (+/-) percent.

Today, the numbers have reversed, with 55 (+/-) percent support and 35 (+/-) percent opposed.

But there is still a significant divide by political affiliation with only 1 in 4 self-identified Republicans supporting marriage equality and little movement over time.

The Republican Party recognized the fact that their base is not in sync with changing public opinion and addressed it in their post election autopsy.
    “There is a generational difference within the conservative movement about issues involving the treatment and the rights of gays — and for many younger voters, these issues are a gateway into whether the Party is a place they want to be,” the report stated. ”If our Party is not welcoming and inclusive, young people and increasingly other voters will continue to tune us out.”
    As a response to the recommendation in the report for the party to become more open to gay rights, the Republican Party quickly reafirmed by vote, without discussion, their current position opposing gay marriage and supporting a federal Constitutional amendment defining marriage as only between a man and woman.

Republican Party Says No to Same-Sex Marriage | TIME.com

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I hope this is a moment of change, that signifies overwhelming support of same-sex marriage to come. I think that could only be a positive thing. But I am not holding my breath yet. True change most often comes with agonizing slowness, and in many ways, America is the slowest to embrace progressive change of all the Western nations, ironically including several monarchies....

6. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

I'm as embarrased as I would be embarrased were I born in the suffrage era. I'm glad this is finally hapenning. Just think, 40 years from now should I be sitting having dinner with my grand kids, they'll be talking about how in their history class teachers taught them about ridiculous people from my generation that made same sex marriege illegal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nearly all previous generations look ridiculous. That's not an excuse for anything. Especially not for this.

Suffrage, prohibition, slavery, internment camps, the list goes on and on. Fortunately the practices do not.

• Like Like x 3
  8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I don't frickin' care who gets married...as long as it's not to kids and animals...whatever.

I guess Polygamy is next...
    I wonder what the divorce policy would be for multiple people married together???

Pay your taxes, don't hurt anyone, be productive.
    I've got better things to worry about. Enjoy your relationship.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

There certainly will be a domino effect. I'll just bet that the next thing you know, people will be advocating same sex divorce and separation.;)

10. Baraka_Guru

I know, right? It's simply called "divorce," and it's simply called "separation." You know, now that these places can call it simply "marriage" now. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

NO! We need to keep them SEGREGATED! It is GAY marriege because they drive GAY cars and GAY park and eat GAY and talk GAY! So we MUST uphold the nomenclature! What you are advocating, Baraka_Guru, would contribute to the breakdown of society's grammar and linguistic communities! We would ALL PERISH! I WILL NOT SIT AND LET THIS HAPPEN!

• Like Like x 7
  12. Yojimbo1963 New Member

I don't believe in gay rights, I believe in equal rights for all. It's well past time we let the religious reich dictate to us. On a side note, I have known a polygamist threesome, and the legal issues of their separation is something friends and I have discussed. It could be a complicated legal issue.

13. Goose

Goose New Member

To me, this is the heart of the issue. I have yet to have someone give me a valid argument for why same sex marriage shouldn't be legal that did not involve religion. And believe me, I have asked around.

What sucks is that the same folks that wave the constitutional/first amendment flag when their religious rights are even remotely challenged forget that the deceleration of independance, a document which pre-dates the constitution in its adoption by over 11 years, states that "all men are created equal." (An injustice to the fairer sex in just saying "men", but that isn't the current issue.) To make matters worse, by taking away marriage equality we are also violating the first amendments right to freedom of religion. It is up to an individual to choose and interpret their own religion, and if their interpretation of Christianity (or any religion or lack thereof) allows for same-sex marriage, others shouldn't be allowed to stop it. Why the fundamentalists are not only allowed to practice their hatred but are allowed to impose it on others is beyond me. Especially when same-sex marriage is between two people and does not impose on others. One groups hatred spilling over and violating another groups love is a problem that we, as a country, must address if we don't want to devolve back to the Neanderthal days.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I have to say, speaking as a rabbi, you're 100% right.

There is not a single justification for discriminating against same-sex marriage that is not only religious in nature, but exemplifies very specific religious interpretations and understandings. And perhaps, if we were living in a theocracy, or even a country that had a state religion, that might in itself be sufficient precedent to warrant considering the issue, and weighing what might be correct.

But we live in a country that is secular in government as a matter of principle, in order to foster pluralism and tolerance. We are supposed to have a wall of separation between church and state. There can be no consideration, no question of what the proper course should be here: not a shred of compelling evidence can be made that individuals of the same sex are any less able to form households and relationships or raise families than individuals of different sexes.

As it happens, I believe in equal rights for all, including LGBT individuals, as a matter of religious principle. But even if I did not, I would be compelled to support the right of same sex couples to marry under American law, because it is anathema to me that religion should dictate policy in this country. Even if it were to begin with some agenda that I agreed with (and again, this is not that), to whom would I turn for aid and support when, sooner or later, it ended up with an agenda that targeted me and mine?

America is secular for the best of reasons, and as such, I continue to believe that the government (both federal and state) should get out of the marriage business altogether. I still think that everyone-- same sex or straight couples-- should get domestic partnership licenses from the government to confer the rights we currently give to married people; and marriage qua marriage should be a private religious affair.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yay, France!

18. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 2
  20. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Too many people have too many stupid opinions. If 2 people love each other let em get married what's the big fucking deal. Let em be happy.

• Like Like x 4