1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Lentil Fest

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Speed_Gibson, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I am posting this here because they call lentils food. Not quite sure of that myself personally but to each their own. Today and tomorrow is the 2011 Lentil Festival which includes festivities, a parade, a massive pot of lentil chili (375 gallons if I recall correctly), etc. etc.
    I am just curious how many people would go to this if they lived close enough or would be willing to travel.
    <http://www.lentilfest.com/>

To me it is mainly packed roads, but I am not the biggest fan of this local crop and I have tried it enough to form an opinion of it. If I lived within walking distance of downtown pullman and did not have to deal with parking, then I might go just to see the crowds.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I would totally hit this!

I love lentils and have been thinking of making them more of a staple in my diet as I draw down my animal-based food intake.

Lentil chili, lentil burgers, lentil soup, curried lentils...yum!

Unforch, it's a bit far for me to make it. Though I would certainly love it!

Lentils are filled with enough nutrition to make them a viable alternative to meat, which is one reason why I'm looking at them. (Plus they're delicious.)

Also, adding more lentils (and other legumes) in place of meat is one great way to reduce your risk of heart disease.

And the fibre!

So many benefits to this food.

To each their own, I suppose. But I happen to love lentils...very much so.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I want to go to Lentil Fest!

You should try some different varieties of lentils, Speed, if you haven't. My favorites are the French Green, aka Puy, lentils. They stay more firm when cooked. The orange (Masoor) dal fall apart really easily, but they are also very good. My husband is a vegetarian, so we do a lot with lentils. They're also good as a part of a veggie burger.

Plus, it sounds like there is enough beer and wine involved with this festival to make it worth it. God knows I've been to Pullman enough times that I don't need to go to see it.

4. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I like lentils, they make a quick and easy veggie meal. I like to do mine with mushrooms, peppers, onions and a tomato base to thicken up the flavor.

I'd go to this event, even tho I'm not a huge fan of lentils. Food fests are always fun.

5. Speed_Gibson

'Tis true that my first and main exposure to Lentils was working at a group home in Moscow where they are a common item on the menu. I would be open to trying them in some different ways, just do not feel like buying a batch and testing at home anytime soon.
    I have a much bigger interest in Oktoberfest and the delightful food there and there is a damn good one just 20 some miles from my home town every year in Mount Angel, Oregon. I sorely miss that event living 6 hour or so hours away now. Good German food is hard to find around here.
    --- merged: Aug 19, 2011 4:38 PM ---
    that sounds good, especially with some spicier peppers to bring some heat.
    --- merged: Aug 19, 2011 4:44 PM ---
    Just read this on the website:
    "5pm-11pm FRIDAY NIGHT STREET FAIR"
    This means I will be leaving a bit earlier for work to go around this. Yay. Oh well,'bad traffic' here is still a small fraction of what I have seen for many years living in the Portland/Salem/Jacksonville FL area

6. snowy

I can't even imagine what "bad traffic" in Pullman might mean. I'm thinking of game days. It's half the size of Corvallis in a much more isolated region, with a university that has about 4,000 fewer undergraduates than we have, and a stadium that seats 8,000 fewer people. I know Cougar fans are passionate (my godfather is a good example of this), but even he doesn't make it to Pullman for games very often. Corvallis is a madhouse on game days. I've tried convincing my husband that the best way to be less frustrated about game days is to embrace Beaver football. He's doing much better since he started doing that.

7. Speed_Gibson

Lentil Burgers sounds interesting, especially with some peppers and other flavours. How do you get them to hold together in a cohesive fashion when forming the pattie? With eggs?

As far as embracing the local teams, I still prefer the Ducks or Beavers over either of the local options. Fortunately working overnights and living a few miles out of town means I can avoid whatever 'traffic' Pullman has most of the time. Which is just as likely to be road destr.....er...construction/repair as football games in these parts. As I have heard around here: There are two seasons - winter and road construction.

8. snowy

Yeah, I typically mix in:

--spent grain from brewing
    --lentils
    --black beans
    --mushrooms
    --bread crumbs
    --peppers
    --onions
    --and eggs to bind it all together

It's sort of like making a vegetarian loaf, but instead of being in loaf shape, it's in patties.

9. Speed_Gibson

I was thinking a meat loaf kind of thing, that makes sense.

10. Baraka_Guru

Eggs aren't necessary.

Between the mashing of the lentils and the other wet ingredients (oil, or whatever), you can make vegan lentil burgers. Other ingredients may include ground oats or breadcrumbs along with some veggies and spices.

A loaf makes sense too.

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

If you like Indian food, you should also try the various dal's that are made from lentils.

My favourite it is the black dal, made with black lentils. It's amazing. It's texture and flavour remind me a lot of re-fried beans.

12. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Dal ... Yeah!

I'd definitely go to that Lentilfest.

13. Baraka_Guru

When I mentioned curried lentils above, I was referring to dal, though I admit there are a number of other traditional recipes I've yet to try.

14. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I've put red curry paste in my lentils without making a Dal, it was good just with the paste.

15. Baraka_Guru

Everything is better with curry paste in it. Everything.

16. snowy

If you try and grill them, they will fall apart without egg. I've tried it. It isn't pleasant. Griddling works fine, but on a grill, you have to have eggs as a binder, or else things will fall through the grate.

17. Baraka_Guru

I wouldn't want to grill them.

When I think lentil burgers, I think "modified falafel."