1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Light Recipes for Summer

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Well, it's here again. What are some of your favorite light recipes for summer? Post a link or the recipe here to share with everyone. Personally, I'm especially interested in recipes that require minimal cooking, unless it's grilling, so that I don't have to heat up the house!

Here's a pasta salad I made the other day:

Whole-wheat orzo pasta, about 8 oz., cooked according to package
    2 tbsp. pesto
    1 medium zucchini, diced
    3 spring onions, sliced thinly
    1-2 balls of fresh mozzarella, diced
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine the orzo, still hot, with the pesto. Stir well to coat the pasta; add more pesto if needed. Mix in the zucchini, onions, mozzarella, and tomato. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Snowy's Super Easy Pesto

So, one of the problems I always had with making pesto is not always having parmesan cheese on hand. Inspired by this recipe Bestest Pesto | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking, I now use nutritional yeast instead. It doesn't go bad, so it's always there. I also cheat by using bottled lemon juice from Santa Cruz Organics. I'll also mix in whatever nuts I have--walnuts, almonds, and pecans are almost always on hand in this house.

1/3 cup almonds
    1/3 cup pecans
    4 cloves garlic
    2 cups basil
    1 cup cilantro
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp. curry powder
    a good sprinkle of cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    enough water to thin it out

Whiz everything together in the food processor until it reaches a consistency you like.

2. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

This is a light dessert I like to make for summer suppers:

Cara Cara oranges (I like to allow 1 - 1 1/2 oranges per person, depending on their size, plus one extra for the juice, so make accordingly)
    Pomegranate seeds (I usually get the pre-picked seeds in a package, like from Trader Joe's, but I have seeded a whole pomegranate myself for this, when necessary)
    1-2 pint packages of organic raspberries
    4-5 whole cloves
    1-2 star anise
    1/3 to 1 bottle of good mead
    1 shot of high-quality orange liqueur or triple sec

Cut the rind from the oranges with a knife, so that even the pith and inner skin is cut away, and slicing away the very top and bottom of the orange. Slice the fruit crosswise, to create circular slices-- don't segment it. Pick out the inner stem if desired, leaving the circular slices intact. Layer into the bottom of a serving dish. After a full layer is put down, sprinkle in some pomegranate seeds and raspberries, then layer more orange slices, followed by more pomegranate and raspberry, and so on. Toss in the cloves and star anise. Drizzle the shot of liqueur over all, and then pour on the mead to cover. Cover the bowl with saran or a lid that seals tight, and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours-- 3 to 6 hours is best. Sometimes I serve this with a little vanilla gelato, or garnish with some finely shaved dark chocolate; but most often I serve it as is, chilled straight from the fridge, accompanied by plain madeleines.

• Like Like x 2
  3. snowy

I am going to use that as a foundation for great things, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redux

redux Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

6. mandy

mandy Vertical

Well, its winter here where I am, but I've been dying to try this out... if you would and let me know how it goes... ;) its extremely easy to make and requires no cooking (except boiling the pasta) theres a waiting period though (which is a bummer) but its a Barefoot Contessa recipe... so it's sure to be gooooood :)

Ingredients

• 4 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
    • Good olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 cloves)
    • 18 large basil leaves, julienned, plus extra for serving
    • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • Kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 pound dried angel hair pasta
    • 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
    Directions

Combine the cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, basil leaves, red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and set aside at room temperature for about 4 hours.
    Just before you're ready to serve, bring a large pot of water with a splash of olive oil and 2 tablespoons salt to a boil and add the pasta. Cook al dente according to the directions on the package (be careful - it only takes 2 to 3 minutes!). Drain the pasta well and add to the bowl with the cherry tomatoes. Add the cheese and some extra fresh basil leaves and toss well. Serve in big bowls with extra cheese on each serving.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Chilled melon soup with strawberries and basil cream.
    Turned out to be a great use for leftover melon.
    Around 3/4 C organic, unfiltered apple juice; 3-4 C melon (I used honeydew, muskmelon, and a little watermelon); 1 Tbsp (or so) raw local honey; 2, 12oz cans coconut milk; fresh sweet basil; sweetener of choice (I prefer agave, but this time out I used coconut nectar); 2 pints organic strawberries.
    Pour the coconut water into a pan or mixing bowl, reserving the coconut cream in a separate mixing bowl. To the coconut water, add the apple juice, melon, and honey, and puree the mixture. Chill until ready to serve.
    Lightly sweeten the coconut cream. I used 1-2 tsp of the coconut nectar. Finely mince 2 tsp or so of the basil and whip it into the coconut cream. Once chilled, it will take on a firm, mousse-like consistency.
    Halve and remove the stems from the strawberries. Put some in a bowl (or a martini glass if you're feeling whimsical), ladle the melon soup over the berries, and top with a hearty dollop of cream.
    Cool, light, refreshing, it makes for a nice snack or dessert, and a kickass treat to beat the heat.

8. jery29 New Member

this sounds veeeery good I need to try

9. snowy

10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

A light lunch or brunch that's good for summer:

Mini Frittatas

9 eggs
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    5 veggie breakfast links, chopped up
    3 large or 6 small stalks asparagus, trimmed and sliced finely
    2 1/2 large shallots, peeled and diced
    1-2 large red potatoes, parboiled and sliced as thinly as possible
    3/4 a small leek, well-trimmed and sliced finely
    1/4 cup + 1 tbsp grated Parmesano Reggiano
    2 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
    1 tbsp parsley minced fine (or 1/2 tbsp best quality dried parsley)
    1/2 tbsp basil minced fine (or 1/4 tbsp best quality dried basil)
    1/4 cup cream or whole milk
    2 tsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp butter
    1 tsp + 1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp + 1 tsp cracked black pepper
    1 tsp + 1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp best quality dried oregano

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a nonstick muffin tin liberally with the 1/2 tsp butter.

Slice the red potatoes as thinly as possible. Parboil the slices in the microwave, in a large covered bowl of warm water or broth, for just about 4 minutes on high. Drain and set aside. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, sautee the leek and shallot and garlic together with 1 tsp each sea salt and black pepper plus 1/2 tsp paprika in 2 tsp butter until just beginning to turn translucent. Add in asparagus, parsley, and basil, and sautee a minute or two longer. Remove from pan, stir in the Romano cheese until incorporated, and reserve mixture. Using the other 2 tsp butter, cook the veggie links until browned, then remove from pan, chop up, and add to vegetable mixture, stirring to incorporate.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the 1 dozen eggs together with the cream or milk, the Parmesano Reggiano, and remaining herbs and spices, until thoroghly mixed into batter.

In the bottom of the buttered muffin tin cups, layer several slices of parboiled potato to create a bottom crust. Add in a spoonful or two of vegetable mixture, and cover with egg batter. Sprinkle tops with a little Parmesano Reggiano. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool for about 3 minutes before serving.

Carrot-Cranberry-Raisin Salad

6 medium organic carrots, peeled and grated fine
    1 Cara Cara orange, peeled and pith and stem removed
    1/4 cup + 1/4 cup freshly squeezed Cara Cara orange juice
    1/4 cup best quality amber or dark rum
    2 tbsp golden raisins
    2 tbsp dried cranberries

In a prep bowl or small cup, refresh the raisins and dried cranberries in 1/4 cup Cara Cara orange juice, rum, and water to cover if needed. Allow to soak 1-2 hours. Peel the carrots, chop roughly, and run them through a food processor along with the Cara Cara orange, until grated fine. Place into a mixing bowl. Add raisins and dried cranberries, 1/4 cup Cara Cara orange juice, and 2 tbsp of the liquid the raisins and cranberries were soaking in. Mix well to incorporate, and allow to sit, covered, in refrigerator 20-45 minutes. Serve chilled.

Sparkling Limeade with frozen fruit "ice cubes"

2 organic kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
    1 dozen or so organic strawberries, tops removed
    1 dozen or so organic raspberries
    Juice of 8-10 organic limes, 3 zest peeled
    1 organic lemon, zest peeled
    1/3 cup + 1/4 cup superfine organic sugar
    1/4 cup water
    2 liters sparkling water, chilled

Line a tray with parchment paper. Place the slices of kiwi fruit, the strawberries, and the raspberries on the tray, cover with foil wrap, and place into freezer overnight (4-6 hours minimum).

In a small saucepot over low heat, combine the 1/4 cup sugar, the 1/4 cup water, and the zest of the lemon and the three limes, and make an infused simple syrup. Mix well to incorporate, and allow to infuse for at least 15 minutes. Remove from flame, allow to cool, and remove and reserve zest pieces.

In a large pitcher, combine the 1/3 cup sugar with the infused simple syrup and the lime juice. Slowly pour in the sparkling water, mixing gently but constantly to incorporate.

Serve in large red wine glasses or Pilsner glasses, with one or two each slices of frozen kiwi, frozen strawberries, and frozen raspberries in the glass as "ice cubes." Garnish with the candied zest pieces. This drink can also be spiked with rum, vodka, white wine, or any number of liqueurs.

I usually serve this set of brunch dishes along with some fresh country-style bread, and a platter of cheeses, fruits, nuts, cornichon pickles, and olives.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

My new favorite simple dessert for summer... Vegan berries and cream Popsicles.

1can coconut milk
    3T honey
    1t vanilla extract

3c strawberries
    1T honey

In separate bowls, blend the first set of ingredients, and puree the strawberries with the 1T honey. Grab your ice pop molds and alternate 1T strawberry mixture and 1T of coconut milk mixture until the molds are almost full. Freeze 4-5 hours.

I had small molds, so I ended up with leftover coconut milk... Which I blended with a few strawberries and the juice of one lime... Freaking amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Buy your favorite thin crust pizza dough at the store.

Get mozzarella (I prefer slices or lumps instead of shredded for this recipe), tomatoes, basil, mushrooms, garlic, or whatever ingredients you enjoy on pizza. Make sure that everything is thinly sliced. If you are going to add meat, it is best to precook it (we usually use pepperoni or very thin Canadian bacon so it doesn't need cooked). You can use sauce (warm it if you do) but you don't have to if you use tomatoes, basil, garlic, etc.

Rub olive oil on one side of the pizza. Place the oiled side down over a hot grill (bonus if you are using hardwood as fuel). Make sure the flames of the grill are controlled enough that they aren't burning the bottom side. Let it grill for 60-180 seconds, depending on heat level and thickness of the crust. The thicker the crust the more indirect you want the heat, but the crust needs to be fairly thin no matter what. Once the crust bubbles a couple of times it is done. Pull it off the grill, rub olive oil on the other side, and put the newly oiled/non-grilled side down. Quickly toss on whatever ingredients you would like. For this recipe you can't smother the crust in cheese or toppings or they won't get hot. Think margherita style pizza. Throw it back on the grill for just a couple of minutes until the bottom side of the crust is browned.

When we do this pizza we usually make the crust cracker thin, go heavy on the fresh basil and tomato, and light on all the other ingredients. A great appetizer for a group or good light meal.

13. snowy

Your way is similar to Kenji's way (which is what I use), except he uses homemade dough: The Pizza Lab: The Complete Updated Guide To Grilled Pizza | Slice Pizza Blog Personally, I can't stand most store-bought dough. It isn't handled well and often ends up tasting too yeasty. Making pizza dough is super easy if you have either a stand mixer or a food processor with a dough blade; even then, it's also pretty easy to do by hand.

14. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to remember to post the type of dough we found that we liked next time we do this. I agree most store bought ones are mediocre at best. But she found one particular dough we both liked, I just can't remember what it is. :eek:

15. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Here's my favorite:
    Rip veggie out of garden. Rinse. Eat. Yum.

But seriously...
    Radish greens or radish sprouts add a zesty punch to any salad.
    I will contribute more to this thread when I have some recipes handy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

Radish greens have a really nice spice to them. I miss my radishes already. I like to grow French Breakfast radishes and eat them with a little butter and sea salt.

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

Snowy's Chopped Salad

Not quite a Greek salad, but delicious nonetheless.

1 large English cucumber, diced (cut the cuke in half, cut the halves in half, then slice to about 1/2 inch pieces)
    4-5 on-the-vine tomatoes, chopped (totally replaceable by 3-4 heirlooms in season)
    1/4 cup feta cheese, or more to taste

1 recipe Citrus Vinaigrette (based off of Ruhlman's Citrus Vinaigrette in Ratio); you will end up with enough dressing for 2 batches of salad, or for enjoying on other salads

juice of 1 lemon (ends up being 3 tbsp-1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup oil (I use a mix of extra virgin olive oil and vegetable oil)
    1/4 tsp dried oregano
    2 garlic cloves
    salt and pepper to taste
    Bonus points: add a teaspoon of capers

Combine all of the above in a pint jar, 2-cup liquid measure, or other straight-sided, narrow-bottomed vessel; using a stick blender, blend until emulsified.

For the salad: combine all of the vegetables, cheese, and dressing; toss well to coat. Let marinate for half an hour before serving. Serve in romaine lettuce leaves for a cute presentation.

18. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I would want to add chopped onion and chopped hearts of Palm.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

That sounds awesome! I'm going to have to find some molds (or Dixie cups?) to try it!

Is the honey considered vegan, though?

20. snowy

Generally, no.