1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Linux users!

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by ThePriseInferno, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Who's out there?

I started out on Ubuntu a little over 4 years ago (8.04 Hardy Heron) and have been hooked ever since. I have familiarity with a few of the "popular" distros, but I have a server running Debian Wheezy and all of my laptops run Linux Mint (except my netbook, which runs Ubuntu). I am proud to say I no longer have Windows installed on any of my laptops. My main laptop does have an XP VM, but that's just for my University studies where some programs are Windows-only.

I also have a special fondness for Arch. It's like a stepping stone between the 'beginner' OS's and things like Gentoo and LFS.

So what do you guys like? Mint/Ubuntu/Debian? Fedora/Red Hat/Centos? Mandriva? OpenSUSE? Nerd out here.

Also, perhaps share some of your favorite Linux programs? I'm always looking for more stuff to play with. :D

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the laptop. It dualboots Win7 but I prefer to work with the linux side for most things on there.
    Photoshop and Soundforge are only on the desktop so both options on the laptop have the same OpenOffice.org/GIMP lineup/Audacity lineup for whatever I would do along those lines.

3. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I've messed around with Linux for over a decade. It used to be much harder to install, almost impossible to dual boot. These days, nothing to it.

At home I'm playing with Backtrack Linux ( an Ubuntu distro ) to learn a bit more about networking and packet sniffing. I dual boot with Win 7.

I've played with Mint for a while. I have a Fedora 14 box at work ( which I am using right now ) along with a Windows box. I have to support both Unix/Linux and Windows.

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

The TFP uses Linux.

I don't do any of that Linuxing myself. I heard something about a Gnome on my computer. I don't like Gnomes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Why does my computer have a Flux Box in it? Is that like a Flux Capacitor? Does it mean I can time travel?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. Raghnar

Raghnar Getting Tilted

I have now CentOS 6.3 at the University PC, that replaced a Fedora 12 distro stickin with the Red-Hat circle of yum-based distros... I have a virtual machine on the laptop with Mint 11, not sure if upgrading to version 12 (or 13) being forced to try the gnome 3 interface...

7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I use Linux Mint and have Ubuntu in a virtual machine. I used to use Mythbuntu for my TV watching and recording needs, but went to Mac OS X.

My favorite distro is BackTrack... BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution I need to see if I can install that on the Mac and have it work right. It is picky about the type of wireless card you have.

8. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I have a small linux server running Ubuntu server 12.04 and various linux VMs on my main pc. I tried running linux as my main desktop OS, but found gaming difficult. I now run xp as my base and do everything but gaming in my VM.

I just recently got into really digging into linux. I'm enjoying it and thinking about giving the main OS as linux, another try. WoW apparently runs excellent under Wine and steam is pushing out more games on the linux platform.

• Like Like x 1
  9. martian

Backtrack is not intended to be used as a primary OS, and many of the design decisions that were made for it were done with the intention that users would only fire it up as needed. I run it on my Macbook Pro in a Virtualbox VM when I need to do any penetration or vulnerability testing. It works like a charm.

10. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I use win7 (after winXP) on my gaming rig for obvious reasons but ever since my laptop pissed me off with Vista one too many times a few years ago I've been trying out various linux distros on it. I started out using Ubuntu, which was basically Easy Mode, but then when they switched over to Unity that pissed me off as much as Vista so I went straight Debian. After getting annoyed at Debian always seeming to fall short of my expectations in one way or another, and being tired of my own continuing ignorance of how to fix things under the hood, I switched over to Arch Linux. Surprisingly I actually like Arch, especially since with XFCE it goes from cold to desktop in a little over 12 seconds and runs scary fast, but I still can't seem to "get" linux under the hood well enough to make it work completely so it's been in a slow state of falling to pieces for some time.

11. laconic1

laconic1 New Member

I've played with Linux off and on since 2001, starting with Red Hat 7.1 and going through more distros than I can probably even remember in the first four or five years. Lets see, Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora, Arch, Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Slackware for sure, not sure about any others. For years I was a KDE fanboy, but I never took to the 4.x releases. Now I use Opensuse with LXDE and it works pretty well for me.

12. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Seamaiden's desktop clock computer (built by me) runs Ubuntu 12.04, mainly cause it is a fan-less mini-ITX Atom mobo with an SSD and no optical drive. I wasn't about to spend the $$$ to buy Win7 and I wasn't sure the system could handle it. Ubuntu is actually perfect for her needs, which are mainly email and internet browsing.
    My Raspberry Pi, in this thread, runs linux Debian, which I found to be a huge uphill battle in getting it working. It maybe partly the Pi's pathetic 256MB memory, but mainly it was using the command line to get it to do basic things like recognize other computers on our network.

13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I was running Ubuntu on my netbook. I last upgraded to 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot), but then started having keyboard issues and gave up. I'm considering messing around with it some more at a future date, but since I invested in a new laptop a few months ago, I don't have as much need for the netbook as I once did.

14. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

I'm installing linux mint to replace ubuntu this week... maybe. Ubuntu is getting heavy. Not quite as slick and stable as it used to be.

15. martian

Debian will run quite happily within 256 MB RAM, so long as you don't have a big pile of daemons running. Learning the terminal is a bit of a monster, but once you know your way around bash it's actually faster and easier for most tasks than a window manager. Trouble is, it's a bitch to learn, which is why guys like me who know it get paid so much.

If you really want a project that will make your head spin, try building Linux From Scratch. Nothing like compiling your own kernel.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

The problem with things like LFS and Arch is that you learn just enough to break everything or get it half-way working but not enough of the underlying Why's to truly understand what you're doing or how to do it right.

17. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My first impression of Windows 8 after trying it briefly at work on some of the laptops there was simple enough.
    "No way in hell am I paying for this"
    and this came to mind not long after that
    "I had some hesitation over that Unity desktop in Ubuntu but this mess gives me a whole new appreciation for it. "

Still on Ubuntu 12.04 here. If only Windows was as easy to use or had as powerful a CLI to offer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

I run Ubuntu on my personal laptop. I'm not even close to a power user but prefer the look and ease of use over Windows. I also enjoy that with a little research I can usually fix most issues on my own.

19. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

Installing chrome OS tonight instead... not sure how this will work yet :)

20. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

.. chromeOS failed on me. I need to put more effort into that... Ended up downloading about a dozen or so linux distributions... mostly lightweights. Lubuntu seemed to be a champ. It's hard to really tell when doing live USBs as the comptuter I was testing them on really wasn't being too freindly. Might give the final candiate a few runs in a VM on an easier to work with computer prior to installing it to the hard drive of the machine it's destined to.

puppy linux
    lulbuntu
    slitaz
    dsm
    peppermint 2
    xubuntu
    macpup
    crunchbang