1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a book

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by ralphie250, Dec 27, 2011.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i am looking for a book called "Me and my likker" by popcorn sutton. the only place io can find it is on amazon. i am unfamiliar with amazon, is it a good place to buy stuff? if it reliable? does anyone know of somewhere else i can try? i have tried barnes and noble and Books a million

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Amazon is pure awesomeness if you ask me. I'm to the point where I buy basically everything most people would buy at a Walmart or Target at Amazon instead. I've gotten everything from books (before I had my Kindle) to movies to clothes to toilet paper to laundry detergent to a big-screen TV from there. Honestly, the best customer service I've ever encountered from a large company.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ralphie250

is it like ebay? ive scanned over it but havent really looked hard at it

4. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Amazon started out as an online bookstore but expanded to do a lot more stuff. Until earlier this year, they operated Target Online as a subcontractor. When Target tried to do it themselves, they pretty much failed miserably - crashed the site a few times, misdeliveries, etc.

Ebay is individual sellers instead of the corporate entity like Amazon. Don't get me wrong - Amazon also lets individuals purchase from each other - but Ebay operates solely on that model. The problem is that it's much easier to get scammed in that model than the corporate model.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

ralphie250, it looks like your book is out of print. Are you asking about Amazon's third-party selling?

6. Borla

Basically this:
    Ebay is like going to a flea market. Tons of sellers, many prices can be haggled over, some goods are new some are used, etc.

Amazon is liking going to a huge dept store. Most things are purchased directly from the store (there are exceptions), most prices are fixed, most goods are new. There are specific items that are also carried used by secondary sellers, but it's a much smaller section of the goods available than on Ebay.

And like I said, you'll be hard pressed to find a better functioning online retailer than Amazon. I've often ordered items in the afternoon, picked 2-day shipping, and they were shipped that night and arrived at my door the very next day. I've literally spent thousands and thousands of dollars with Amazon over hundreds of deliveries since 1999. I had ONE item delivered a day late in all of that time, and it was the shipping company's fault. On the rare occasion that I've had to call customer service about any other problem their response has always blown me away (people actually speak clear English, short/no wait times, they overnight replacement goods to fix the problem, etc.).

7. Baraka_Guru

When I searched for his title, it was unavailable/out of print. Amazon has no copies in stock that I could see, and there was no indication they could order it.

It looks like it's only available from a third-party seller, the author's relative by the looks of it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...rect=true&qid=1325006923&sr=1-2&condition=all

8. Borla

Ahh, that's slightly different. Though I'd still be inclined to say it's "safe", in that the worst that is likely to happen is that Amazon will refund the money if the transaction somehow fails. I've bought (and sold) a handful of items through Amazon third-party interactions and never had an issue.

ralphie250, this link should answer most of your concerns: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=537868

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Well, the seller is a five-star seller, and she has 97% positive ratings over the past 12 months (with 92 total ratings).

I'd feel pretty safe ordering that book if it were me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Borla

Agreed.

11. ralphie250

thanks for all the help, the link that Borla put was very helpful.

Apparently its not a very demanding book, but it sparks my interest.

12. Baraka_Guru

I'm pretty certain it's self-published. In one of the entries, the bookseller's name is listed as the publisher.

The spiral binding and horrific cover designs also give that away.

Not that I'm judging the content or anything. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

If Amazon are selling the book themselves you should be fine.

If its a private seller, Amazon will protect you (and they nearly always take the buyers side in a dispute) but beware that some people do list rare books for sale which they dont have (and cancel the sale if they cant get hold of it)... just like ebay you really need to do a quick check on the seller's feedback to get a sense of if they are cool or not. Even if they dont have the stock you will get a refund as long as you pick it up with Amazon quickly.

14. ashland

ashland Vertical

I'm a private seller on Amazon. They are very strict and very fair. I buy used books often on Amazon and currently still have over a hundred books on sale through them. I usually sell about 3 a week. It gets rid of books I don't need any more and I get a little cash out of it.

15. I will order from Amazon over virtually any other web based company. Had a few problems with purchases but never had any issue with returns. Amazon does it right.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ralphie250

still debating on wether or not to get it. im an "if im gonna buy it i want it now" kinda guy.