1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to connect two buildings networks wirelessly

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by TheProf, Jul 8, 2015.

1. TheProf New Member

Any advice on best way to do this?

The buildings are about 300 meters apart, and it is a clear line-of-sight between the two buildings.

Thanks!

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You can extend a Wi-Fi network by adding an additional wireless router.

How to Extend Your Wi-Fi Network | PCWorld

With a clean line of sight, you should be able to manage the proper trajectory of the signal, but your issue is range. I think most standard antennas on Wi-Fi routers max out at 100 m (assuming 2.4 GHz, as 5 GHz has a shorter range). You'd have to rig it with something like this: Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-ANT2424B 2.4GHz 24dBi Directional Grid Parabolic Antenna, N Female connector, weather resistant: Electronics (though that particular one may be overkill).

Have a look at that PC World link for ideas. It should get you started. Maybe come back to this thread with some questions or troubleshooting issues.

3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My connection to my ISP is through WiFi and is similar to what Baraka Guru describes. It's a reasonable solution for home use. Powered, directional antennae can extend the range significantly. That said, it is still line of sight and water can defract the signal. Heavy mist, snow, and rain degrade my connection at times.

For home use, it is great. For a business that requires 100% uptime, I'd probably look elsewhere.

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Yeah, this is a fairly simple problem. Two directional antennae pointed at each other. Over 300m a simple parabolic like the one baraka_guru linked should do the trick nicely.

That distance is short enough that adding any kind of directionality to the signal is going to be enough I would imagine.

If you want a low budget solution, Wok Fi might be a good choice.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015