1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

LOVE/HATE Relationship with computer/internet

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by DAKA, Aug 24, 2011.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Is it just me, or do you have thoughts of mayhem about the whole thing?
    I have "almost" smashed this laptop about a dozen times in the past weeks.
    However, I have leaned that laptops DO NOT take well to punches...an expensive lesson...
    don't ask.
    Maybe we were actually better off, lets see...ummm..there were no computers to speak of when I retired 21 years ago. When they became popular 15-18 years ago I "swore" I'd never have one.
    Now 2 PC's and 5 laptops later this....

2. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

[​IMG]

I love computers. Without computers, instant communications, global meetings, multi-site plants/businesses working in tantem, and hell TFP. I see this hate of computers daily. It's no longer a generation thing (Tho the highest offenders of the Technophobes are in the baby boomer generation), people hate having to use them. I've found a lot of times that it's mainly a fear of change. People don't like change and computers are huge carriers of change. Change in software, work roles, managerial roles, ect; they all bring change. I've learned if you embrace the technology instead of hating it, you're life will be less stressful.

I've seen grown men and women break down in tears because of computer issues and for people to lash in anger because of them. I've been yelled at, cussed at, and threaten body harm because I "broke" something. I've had to travel 2 hours to a job site because a computer was "down" when in reality the woman had moved a icon across the screen and now thought her computer was broke.

Now... if I can get the NIC driver for this broadcom card to work with the bare-metal restore of this test server, I'll be a happy person.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

My love/hate relationship with computers/Internet is a social/cultural/behavioural/aesthetic, etc., one.

I don't hate the technology; I think it's great, and we live in an amazing time in terms of data and communication. It's fantastic.

However, I think I, personally, have a problem with balance. I'm on computers and the Internet far more than I'd like to be from a health perspective: psychological/spiritual. I put in 8 hours a day at work, and then another 4 hours at least in the evenings. Lots of time logged on the weekend too, but at least I tend to read books more often then.

As an example of how far I go with this, I often fantasize about having a living room where it's more of a sitting room. The only electronics/equipment would be for lighting, heat, and air conditioning. It would consist of comfortable seats, a few small tables, and minimal decorative treatments. That's it. It would be for sitting quietly, chatting, and/or reading. I wouldn't bring a laptop or smartphone in there to fiddle with. Nothing.

I dream of this room—this sacred chamber—as I one day wish to live in more than 715 square feet.

I crave unplugging, but I seldom do it. I sometimes walk without an iPod, but I live in the city. I sometimes take long showers to stand and think, but this is usually the extent of my meditations. I often have to use my iPod to drown out the sound of the TV, but we recently moved a couch to our bedroom that I could use, if only we'd keep the laundry and other junk off of it.

I love computers. But I need more balance.

4. wolf Evil Grin

I work in an IT operations department. I love technology, I love advances which make connectivity and communication easier. I try to keep up on the latest trends. Currently I'm working on virtualization, which I am enjoying a lot. I find it interesting that for a long time the push was to get everything point and click, now the trend is to go back to command line....personally I am a command line person.

5. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

I don't mind computers at all, but I found that the internet was taking up too much of my time over the past few months. I would go through my usual list of sites to browse and e-mails to answer, and after that about 45mins. (or more) would be spent just "waiting" for a reply or something else to happen.

Finally tiring of this time-sucking addiction, I quit most of my sites and realized the internet can survive without me rather easily. Granted, I spend a good portion of my time here, but it's easier to get up and leave the 'puter off the the remainder of the day than it was 6 months ago.

6. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I note with interest that, increasingly, almost all activities can be done in the same chair and facing the same screen. As has been implied above, the feeling of work and the feeling of leisure can both be had with the same hardware.

I feel no shame that I consider boradband as essential as lighting, heating and water.

I get humorously concerned when I google to check something, and half and hour later, return from a tour of the universe which includes correct spellings, urban meanings, some malware, a new doumbek teacher and an ebay purchase.

I get seriously concerned when I feel the need to stretch my legs, and instead, play a round of Unreal Tournament. That is sad.

7. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I have an optimal amount of Internet use daily. Probably around 1.5-2 hours.
    Less thatn that, I don't feel like I'm in touch with the world. It means I haven't read the paper and checked my favorite sites.
    More time and I get a frustrated feeling. Like I want something more out of it, and realize I'm burning a bunch of time that won't result in anything productive.

8. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I like the internet because it makes me feel like I'm connected to other dorks out there.
    Example, I'll go to YouTube to look up an obscure song from the 70's or 80's and find that people have been commenting on it recently.

On the flipside, trolls suck.

9. atimnie New Member

Yes, but it's fun to argue with them sometimes. Sharpens you up for the loonies that are actually serious.

10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I guess I'm just not sharp-witted enough. I immediately go into childish mode and start slinging "doody-heads" and "lint-lickers" at 'em until I end up crying in a corner, mumbling.
    It's why I try to avoid them now. ;)