1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Love vs. Being in love

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by AlwaysCurious, Jun 19, 2014.

1. AlwaysCurious

AlwaysCurious Vertical

What's the difference between the two?

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Being in love...is a more intense state.
    And it is typically with a significant other.

Love itself can be many things...at many levels.
    And you can love anyone or anything.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

One is a noun. The other is a verb.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AlwaysCurious

AlwaysCurious Vertical

Hmmm, yeah. But i guess i mean, how do you know if you love your SO, or if you're IN love with them?

@Baraka_Guru hahaha, touche!

5. Baraka_Guru

Let me elaborate.

Much of my perspective on love is derived from Buddhist philosophy, which generally states that love is wishing others peace and happiness. There are actual mediations where you progressively wish peace and happiness for those closest to you outward as far as those you consider difficult or your enemy, and beyond. It's a meditation teaching that everyone deserves love (commonly referred to as loving-kindness, or metta). By extension, this means that everyone deserves peace and happiness, even those who wish to harm you. In many cases, those who wish to harm you do so out of a position of ignorance and/or considerable pain. Rather than wish them harm in return, wishing instead for them to have peace and happiness makes sense. After all, who among us filled with peace and happiness wish us harm?

Beyond that, we can examine our intimate relationships to look at different qualities of love. Of course, it's naturally easier for us to love those closest to us than love our enemies or those we are indifferent to, but even so we should be careful how we handle this love, as it can lead to dependence and attachment. The Buddha taught the dangers of clinging to the idea that "we have partners, we have children, therefore we have wealth," as in: love as a kind of possession. Buddhism views reality as transient, and so clinging to an idea of love as a thing we have, rather than a thing we do, can be limiting. It can even be counterproductive, as we can often formulate unnecessary expectations in our love relationships. We wish to achieve a kind of status and we hope we can maintain that status, hope that it will never change. Unfortunately, reality never rests. Change is inevitable.

To understand love is to realize it as a verb, not a noun. Buddhism places a lot of emphasis on action. It's what we do that matters, not merely what we think about or what we have. Cause and effect is how the world operates. If you love someone (wish them peace and happiness), it is your generosity and kindness towards them that matters the most.

The way to look at it, I guess, in a nutshell, is that love isn't something you give or get; love is something you do.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'll put it in succinct terms.

Love is caring.
    Being in love is passion.

Meaning...if you "love" your SO, you care for them, you want the best for them, to protect them, etc.
    "in love" you WANT them, you feel like you cannot be without them, you want to be with them often, you want their attention, etc.

It's a different intensity.

So, if you're looking at your SO, and going ..."that's nice"...then that's likely "love"
    If you're looking at your SO, and going "oh, that SOOOOoooo nice" ...then that's likely "in love"

Now, do not confuse successful relationships with this.
    There are many that do well and love each other just fine without any soap opera levels of "love".
    Don't just dump someone just because you don't have that intensity...because it might do there...and flux back & forth over time.
    Intensity doesn't have to be "hot" either...it can be a warm, comfortable, easy "in love" too.

If you're questioning, then it may be "love"
    If you've got no doubt, then it's "in love"
    But even that is not cut & dry...good relationships just keep being such.
    It is a difficult question.

However, I do know...ANY long-relationship takes work and will have their challenges.
    All participants will flux in their feelings, needs, desires, and so on, through-out the whole thing...and they often won't be in-sync.

----------

My question to you is...why you asking??
    There is a reason...

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

:)

I can love chocolate chip cookies. It doesn't mean that I want to do things for them, and it doesn't mean they return my feelings.

This is actually a theme in one of my stories, and this passage captures what I think the difference is.

Later, she tells a friend:

8. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Yeah but what about bacon?
    Mmmm bacon.:)

9. Baraka_Guru

To oversimplify, it's the difference between an affection for someone (caring) and a strong interest in something that gives you pleasure (like cookies).

However, I don't view love (the affection kind) as something that only exists if it's returned. That suggests to me that it requires a "return on an investment," or that you need to get something similar out of it, that you need to "break even" to justify it.

Don't get me wrong, though. A relationship with mutual feelings is a stronger relationship than one that's more one-sided. Either way, I believe you can love someone who doesn't love you back.

10. snowy

I snarf that bacon so fast it has no time to love me in return.
    --- merged: Jun 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM ---
    You can love someone that doesn't love you back, but being in love implies that the feeling is returned, that it's an active process between two people.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  11. Baraka_Guru

Yes, the age-old "in love," certainly. I suppose we could say it's impossible to be in love if one of the parties is indifferent.

[insert vague reference to centuries' worth of poetry]

• Like Like x 1
  12. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Maybe this belongs in the "sex times" thread?:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

I demand more than vague references, @Baraka_Guru. You're better than that.

14. Baraka_Guru

I'm working. I'll compile some of my favourite love poetry later.

Maybe. :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

Such a tease.

16. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

I am in love with my wife.
    I love my children.

17. Baraka_Guru

from Ten Things I Hate About You

Bianca: There's a difference between like and love. Because, I like my Skechers, but I love my Prada backpack.
    Chastity: But I love my Skechers.
    Bianca: That's because you don't have a Prada backpack.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The Greek's have three different words for love. They mix and are used in combinations.

AGAPE
    This is an unconditional love. This is what we would traditionally use to describe the love of your kids. Some might suggest this also true of your spouse, but I am on the fence with that one.

EROS
    This is physical and purely emotional love. It's the kind of love you feel when you talk about love at first sight. It's not necessarily sexual. It's more than friendship, though.

PHILIA
    Love of the mind; it's dispassionate love. It's the love you have for friends and family.

• Like Like x 2
  19. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

At work we don't have to wear uniforms on Saturday. Our resident outwardly gay guy, which everyone likes, wore a T-shirt that said. " Love Sucks...True Love Sollows. "
    After we all got a huge laugh tbe boss sent him home to change.