1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Borla, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

2. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

+1.

I Cordially loathe his "Star Trek" reboot. What he would do to "Star Wars..." I think I will spare myself.

My hope is that, like many other such deals, it will fall apart for one reason or another.

I'd love to see "Star Wars" done by Joss Whedon, or maybe the Wachowskis (seeing as how Spielberg has flatly refused to take a crack at it), or James Cameron, or possibly Christopher Nolan. Jon Favreau, maybe, or Sam Raimi, or Bryan Singer.

In other words, there are any number of really excellent directors who could do this, and almost certainly do it better than JJ Abrams.

4. Baraka_Guru

I think you guys are giving Abrams too much credit for ruining what you think Star Trek is supposed to be. I think your hatred is both misplaced and misguided.

Unless this is all about the lens flare thing.

Or maybe you're disappointed that he didn't try to veto anything. I really don't know. Maybe you could elucidate.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

I have to go along with Baraka, I'm a diehard Trekkie. But I liked the Star Trek reboot. It needed a fresh start. I think he can bring the same kind of fresh start to a story line that really does need it.

As long as he doesn't send Luke back through time to meet a younger Anakin and tell him to not be such a dick. LOL

6. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I liked the Trek reboot, but then, I never really got into Star Trek. One of the biggest complaints I heard from Trekkers was that Abrams was "trying to make it into Star Wars." So, there's that.

As much as I would've LOVED Whedon doing Star Wars, I rather like him at the helm of the Marvel Universe...and if he did Marvel AND Star Wars, I think they'd both suffer for it.

Yeah, I hated the prequels. But let's be honest. If there's a Star Wars movie, I'm going to see it, regardless of who's directing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Well said.

8. Baraka_Guru

Abrams has said he was a bigger fan of Star Wars than Star Trek. I think Star Trek (2009) was more collaborative than people realize. It wasn't all Abrams' doing. (You know, like Woody Allen's influence on his films.) You had a couple of pretty big Star Trek fans writing the script. And there was also co-producer Damon Lindelof (who also co-wrote the Star Trek sequel). Who knows what influence he had on the outcome?

I don't think the reins of the creative and production of Episode VII are being handed over to Abrams. He was hired as director. Unless they also ask him to be a producer as well, there isn't really anything else of his you can compare this to in terms of the role he has in the film. As far as I can tell, the film's producers are from Lucasfilm stock.

9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My biggest problem with the the step 1 of the Star Trek reboot was that it was made like the recent Mission Impossible films. I saw the first two 10 years back or whenever they came out and they were so poorly done with pointless action scenes that I never did want to see any past that point. I do like the original MI series (which had Leonard Nimoy for a spell at least) and was fond of the newer series from 1988? back when that aired.
    There is quite a bit you can do with the well known and loved ST:TOS characters in a radically different situation like this, they just failed miserably last time overall in the story and especially the "action scenes" that were poor even by television series standards.
    I can handle the whole parallel timeline thing just fine; at some point someone is going to go back to the older established timeline in a film or television program and there is no reason they cannot coexist. The next one set in this alternate timeline is going to be a definite wait for video for me personally but will no doubt be a massive hit in the theatres.

10. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Apparently there will be more movies released beyond the already announced trilogy. Disney says there will be stand alone movies focusing on various characters in the SW Universe.

Rumor is the first one will be on Yoda, and there will be a movie released every 2-3 years for the foreseeable future.

Parallel Universe

• Like Like x 1
  11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

My only issue with JJ Abrams is that he is already involved with Star Trek. Giving him control of the reboots of the two arguably most important sci-fi franchises going today, is putting too many eggs in one basket.

I don't doubt that he will come up with something interesting. And with Lucas Films' Kathleen Kennedy there to keep things on the "true path" I am sure things will be just fine. ANYTHING would be better than the last three films that Lucas made.

12. Borla

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I just hope Red Six gets his own movie.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Oh, that hit the spot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baraka_Guru

Jal Te Gniev (Red Five): "They shot Red Six!"

Wedge Antilles (Red Two): [voiceover] "They shot Jek down. They shot his T-65 X-wing starfighter to bits."

Wedge Antilles: "This is is a man, and he has a name, and it's Jek Porkins, okay?"

Jal Te Gniev: "Jek Porkins."

Wedge Antilles: "He's a man, and he's dead now because of that, do you understand that?"

John Branon (Red Four): "I understand. In death, a member of Red Squadron has a name. His name is Jek Porkins."

Red Squadron, except Wedge Antilles: [chanting] "His name is Jek Porkins.... His name is Jek Porkins...."

Wedge Antilles: "Stop it."

Red Squadron, except Wedge Antilles: [chanting] "His name is Jek Porkins.... His name is Jek Porkins...."

Wedge Antilles: "Shut up! This is all over with!"

Red Squadron, except Wedge Antilles: [chanting] "His name is Jek Porkins.... His name is Jek Porkins.... His name is Jek Porkins.... His name is Jek Porkins...."

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

17. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

If I was a girl, I'd have to have sex with you for that.

• Like Like x 3
  18. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

[​IMG]

I would watch the shit out of this, if it were real...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  19. Borla

Starting in 2015, a new Star Wars movie every year after...

If you're the kind of fan who can't get enough "Star Wars," Disney has just made the announcement you've been dreaming of.
    In a presentation Wednesday at CinemaCon, the annual meeting of the National Theater Owners Association, Disney representatives unveiled some big plans for the "Star Wars" franchise after purchasing Lucasfilm for $4 billion. While it's well known that "Star Wars: Episode VII" is in the works and poised for release in the summer of 2015, Disney is saying after that, fans can expect a new "Star Wars" movie every summer for at least five years, with installments in the official series alternating with stand-alone films that will focus on well-loved characters in the "Star Wars" universe.
    That means six "Star Wars" movies between 2015 and 2020. That's a lot of lightsabers.
    Disney is being stingy with the details on what fans can expect from the new movies, but it's beenwidely speculated that Disney has been planning to make "Star Wars" films that looked outside the continuing narrative of official series, and this confirms they're coming sooner than later. (If we're to believe the scuttlebutt, Yoda, Boba Fett, and Han Solo will be getting their own movies in the future.)
    It also makes clear that Disney intends to use the Lucasfilm properties as a powerful cash locomotive, though with J.J. Abrams writing and directing "Episode VII" and Lawrence Kasdan (screenwriter of "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark") and Simon Kinberg ("X-Men: The Last Stand" and "Sherlock Holmes") rumored to be writing the stand-alone projects, they're aiming for quality as well as quantity.
    Disney's announcement also shrewdly opens the door for lots more speculation among fans and bloggers while confirming something nearly everyone seems to want: a lot more "Star Wars" movies. Well played, Disney. And if your writers start to run out of ideas, you might consider bringing inPatton Oswalt for a script meeting.

Disney Uses The Force: New ‘Star Wars’ Movies Annually Starting in 2015 | Movie Talk - Yahoo! Movies

20. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

It will be good to see new Star Wars film after a 30 year absence. These might very well get me back in the movie theatre.