1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Users: Enlighten Me...

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by martian, Aug 2, 2011.

1. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

So I thought this might be a fun topic.

In my professional life over the past year or so I've sort of gravitated and sort of been pushed towards the Mac as a platform. It works well for what I want to do, but I'm just not seeing the big to-do about the Mac experience.

Things I like about Macs:
    - Hardware quality. They don't skimp -- these things feel solid, and given that we've got 8 year old hardware still going strong and usable it's a safe bet that they are.
    - The dock. When I was using Ubuntu in the office I actually had a similar UI setup with a dock on the bottom of the screen. I find it's convenient, and keeps my most used programs in an easy to access location.
    - Ease of software management. Packaging software as binaries inside dmg images was a stroke of brilliance.

Things I don't like about (my) Macs:
    - Sound quality. The Macbook is the worst offender for this -- it sounds like I'm listening to someone else's headphones. The iMac is better, but I still prefer external speakers.
    - Centralized menu bars. I get the premise, but as someone who's been using Windows and Linux for over a decade it feels out of place. Keep my menus at the top of the window where they belong, please.
    - Lack of ports. My iMac has 3 USB ports. That's somewhat forgivable at least since there's two more in the keyboard (and another four in my second monitor -- thank you, Dell) but the Macbook has a measley two. Seriously, in a laptop? I would expect at least four, six would be preferable.

Now the giant caveat is that these gripes relate to the hardware I've inherited; both the iMac and Macbook hail from about 2006-7 (the white/black plastic days) and these may have been addressed in newer versions. Then again, with the Macbook air lacking an optical drive? Maybe not.

Mac dudes and dudettes! What draws you to your platform of choice?

2. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

As far as ports: my big gripe is that while I understand that Firewire is a technically superior standard to USB, two computers (an iMac and a Mac Pro) and two devices (a Dazzle bridge and a DV/DVD deck) require four cables. At least USB ports on a PC or Mac are all shaped the same despite the obvious deficiency of the USB A pair.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

That's interesting. I can't recall a situation where I needed more than two USB ports on a laptop. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever used more than two on a desktop. I remember getting a machine (current one or last one) and thinking, "Wow, four USB ports? What an embarrassment of riches. I'm never going to use all of those."

I know there are a lot of you out there who are techie guys and stuff. But between wireless and my sticking mainly to the basic hardware features of the computer, I can't see why the average user would need more than two USB ports.

As for the sound, I never expect laptop speakers to suffice for anything. I've always used desktop speakers or headphones.

And I'm not sure what you mean by centralized menu bars.

4. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

Software, mostly. I adore Mail, iWork, iTunes (for syncing my phone), Contacts, GarageBand, and the ease of using the OS. It's highly intuitive, beautiful, fast, and yet at the same time just powerful enough to get everything done I'd like done. Having been on a Windows 7 machine for a year now, and Ubuntu (ugh), I can say in no uncertain terms that Mac OS X Snow Leopard is the best operating system in the world by leaps and bounds. Windows has made strides recently, particularly from Vista to Windows 7, but Microsoft has a lot of work to do to catch up to Apple in operating system and built in programs. A few simple examples:

- I have a Microsoft bluetooth mouse. I had to install a program from the internet by googling it, then I had to uninstall and reinstall. Then once more. It started working, but the buttons, which were supposed to be customizable, can't be customized. Even a year later, I can't customize the buttons. On my Mac? It was plug and play, instantly. Still is.

- I popped in a DVD, into my very nice DVD burner, and it opened in Media Center or whatever it's called. Guess what? Spacebar doesn't pause and play. Oh, and the little navigation bar never disappears. And it won't upscale. I only ever use VLC on Windows for all videos and high-quality music.

- The Taskbar? The icons have two sizes: a little too big or a little too small. And folders in the menu bar simply open to folders. I have to install confusing software just to get it to do anything similar to Mac OS X.

- My favorite, though, is I can't move or edit the title of something when it's open in Windows. How hard would that be, really? Windows doesn't really do Expose or anything similar either.

And, tbh, Apple knows how to design gorgeous hardware, too. The MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini, and iMac are gorgeous, better looking, imho, than any other option out there for computing.

5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It seems more organized. It is basically like I outsourced my software update schedule, backups, music organization, music syncing to iPod, application appearance and photo processing so I have to do a lot less. I want Apple to take care of the menial tasks that should just 'get done', and so things 'just work'.

I usually use 3 USB devices on my MacBook, and I understand the desire for more. But at my desk, I use a USB hub to allow more external harddrives to be plugged in at the same time.

I use Linux for some file organization, and I know iTunes is locking my account to the mp3's I import...There are a few other things as well that I could nit-pick at. I wish I was better at using the overlooked features...and had more free time to play with non-internet stuff (creating books, music, movies).

6. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

ooh just had a flashback to my tech support days for HP products. We we verboten to say 'firewire' and had to say 'IEEE 1394'

7. martian

When I say centralized menu bars, I'm referring to the context sensitive menu bar at the top of my screen. File/Edit/View. It's admittedly a minor gripe, but even after nearly a year on OS X I still reflixively look to the top of the menu for those things. I'd like to have the option, at least.

It's not hard to end up with more than two devices plugged into USB. If, for example, I plug in an external mouse and decide to charge my phone, I've used up my two ports. Want to plug in a USB key to transfer some files? Too bad.

And I don't expect laptop speakers to be good, exactly. The speakers on my Toshiba aren't good. They're miles better than the tin-can-and-string setup this Macbook has, though. The iMac doesn't have any excuse, being a desktop machine. I expect reasonable performance. I'm not getting it.

I don't hate the Mac experience. I wouldn't pay for it, but as long as the company I work for is paying for it for me, I'm happy to take advantage. I guess I just don't quite 'get it.'

8. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

Does anyone but apple actually use firewire any more?

9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I used to really hate using Macs. But with the introduction of OS X, that all changed.

I am currently using a MacBook Pro and I find the one major thing about it that is great... is that it works. Consistently. I never have issues with it. It is stable and doesn't crash.

10. jewels

jewels New Member

Everything's been said. Everything feels as though some real thought, planning and organizing has gone into it. It feels natural and intuitive. Transitions are smooth, ease of integration with other Apple products rocks.

And it works. And it lasts. And if one needs more than 2 USB ports on a laptop, they need to get a desktop. :p

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Or one of those USB hubs.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

12. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Since a lot has already been said, I'll add this one: Automator. I love it so much. Import an album of photos and want to resize some of them to email to friends? I have a workflow saved in automator to do that for me, so I end up with a .zip file on my desktop ready to be emailed in just a minute or two. It's awesome.

13. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I need to pick up a mac, just to learn to troubleshoot the OS. I have almost no mac experence and I've ran into jobs that they want mac experence.

As for using one, I'm heading towards linux and away from everything else.

*Start Threadjack*

Can a mac OS be run as a VM?

14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Both of the HP products I am using at the moment (laptop and desktop) have Firewire.

And personally, I find the idea that PCs crash or freeze all the time to be more than a little outdated. 7 is an extremely stable OS.

15. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

Oh I have machines that have firewire on them too. But I've never used it. USB 2.0 was always faster, and now with 3.0....

16. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

7 may be stable, but I've never used it. I stopped using a PC about five years ago when my current job required that I switch to Mac. Back then, PCs were still XP and unstable. I hear good things about 7 but I just can't bring myself to mess around with a PC. All my pathways have been converted to Mac.

17. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

To clarify the USB thing, I'm a desktop-only person. I have 5 USB devices plugged into my home computer and 8 at work, 9 when I connect the camera, not counting the monitors that act as 4-port hubs.

18. martian

You know the easiest way to learn OS X? Learn Linux. You can pick up the UI in a week if you know the back end.

I would say it's a bit myopic to suggest that simply because you have no need for more than two USB ports, that nobody should. If I have to lug around a USB hub with me everywhere I go that sort of eliminates the weight benefit, at which point I might as well just take the Toshiba and also benefit from the 15" screen.

19. geeza New Member

I can't tell you how much regret I felt once I switched to a Mac running OSX. All those wasted hours, the anger and frustration of dealing with windows/PCs. It has been a godsend to my productivity. I have no agenda other than pragmatism.

20. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Well, once you plug a mouse in one and a keyboard in the second, you are officially out of ports. My laptop has three and I reckon another one would be nice.