1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Made some feijoada tonight

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by sgbsteve, Aug 9, 2011.

1. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

I hadn't made any feijoada in quite a while and I've been craving it. I was introduced to it at a Brazilian restaurant that used to be in the area. Mine isn't as good as theirs was but it gets me by. I started with a recipe i found here http://www.cookbrazil.com/recipe/feijoada and adjusted to my taste. I go pretty simple.

1 pkg smoked pork sausage
    1 lb or so pork. I use chops/steak/tenderloin or whatever is on sale.
    2 big cans of black beans (29 oz i think?). the recipe calls for 1 15 oz can but i like way more beans than that.
    1 onion
    garlic (or garlic powder)
    a couple bay leaves
    some rice

i cut up and cook the pork and onion in olive oil. Toss in the bay leaves and garlic while its cooking. I put the rice in the rice cooker about the time i am starting the meat. When the pork is looking about done i add the black beans and let it simmer until the rice is done. It should be thickening up a little about that time. Serve the feijoada over the rice and i like to add a little hot sauce. I made it gringo style this time. My cuban friend says only gringos eat beans over yellow rice.