1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Magicians and Magic

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Nov 3, 2017.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I love magic. Not the card game.

I used to love watching Bill Bixby host Wonderful World of Magic. I was lucky to see Doug Henning on Broadway in The Magic Show as a kid. I never never never got to go to the Magic Castle not even once. I still wish to go if I can. It's a dream of mine to be able to go there for dinner and watch a magician perform.

Over the years I have done lots of magic, even did it for a talent show in grade school.

Card magic is always one of my favorites.

This guy is amazing, it's a slow start, but give it the time and you'll be amazed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLB5oOq76c8

I plan on posting more great bits of magicians from all over the world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. cynthetiq

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. bobby

bobby More Than Slightly Tilted ! Donor

love Penn and Teller stuff and Blaine always amazes me.....most of the big set stuff is not worth my time....the up close stuff never gets old !

xoxoxox

• Like Like x 1
  4. cynthetiq

5. cynthetiq

Stage magic is interesting but yes takes up too much time. I like close up magic, which is why card magic is amazing to me. I used to know a fellow who taught me card magic and because of him I carried about 10 different decks for different performances to do. I haven't done them in a long time I should bring them back out and do them for the nephews.

6. Cubby

Cubby Vertical

I've been on Youtube watching magicians on Penn and Teller's show Fool Us for the last couple of days (and before that). They have some amazing acts. I've seen David Copperfield life as a kid and few smaller time magicians. I have played around with magic since high school but never in depth enough to actually do a full show. I like being able to amaze kids and colleagues every once and a while and I have taught a few basic things to my kids.

I actually used to collect different decks of cards, both magical and non-magical so I have a ton of cards but unless you keep practicing I have forgotten many of the tricks. I do generally keep Three Color Monte with me when I can although the colors have bled through so I need to get a new set.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

@cynthetiq, you still carry a trick or two on ya?

• Like Like x 1
  8. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 gr. of diplomacy

Okay, I've been a magic enthusiast for my entire adult life and that "burger magic" video is one of the most wickedly clever gags I've ever seen!!!!

Thanks for posting it!

9. cynthetiq

It is one of the most clever and crazy things I've ever seen done.

I always can sleight something that is around or on me.

I don't carry anything that I can actively use with gimmicks or assets. I should start doing it again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cynthetiq

This was one of the first performances that I saw Penn & Teller do on PBS back in the 80s called The Seven Principles of Magic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrY-KSc-5Lo

I was glad to see that they still do this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S8Peh9XH70

1. Palm: To hold an object in an apparently empty hand.
    2. Ditch: To secretly dispose of an unneeded object.
    3. Steal: To secretly obtain a needed object.
    4. Load: To secretly move a needed object to where it is hidden.
    5. Simulation: To give the impression that something that hasn’t happened, has.
    6. Misdirection: To lead attention away from a secret move.
    7. Switch: To secretly exchange one object for another.

11. cynthetiq

12. cynthetiq

13. cynthetiq

14. cynthetiq

15. cynthetiq

16. cynthetiq

• Like Like x 2
  17. Cubby

Cubby Vertical

I still carry a trick or two when I think it would be appreciated...like off at a hockey tournament where the kids might end up bored or something you bet. The younger kids, especially around Christmas, love the glowing thumbs...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

19. I went to Las Vegas in September, and saw three magic shows, all different.

Penn and Teller was first. They use jazz piano for accompaniment. I liked it, but didn't LOVE it for a simple reason: I watch FOOL US, and saw several of the same tricks in the theater that I'd seen on the TV in the previous few months. No, I didn't figure them out live or on TV.

Criss Angel was the next night. Metal music was the backdrop. Several great tricks, but it had a comedy routine to fill time while sets were being changed, and that part could have been better.

Then the next day, I was looking for something to do in the afternoon where I could rest my aching feet a bit, and I saw an ad for the Mac King Show at 1:30 at Harrah's. It was billed as a comedy/magic show, and it was both. Mac King appeared on FOOL US, and I saw his bit on YouTube recently. Quite entertaining, and the bargain of the lot.

Over the years, my family and I have seen four other shows that come to mind. In Branson, Kirby VanBurch (twice), a show with several performers (and I can't name any of them now), and Hamner and Barber had a few tricks in the variety show. In Pigeon Forge, TN, we saw Terry Evanswood, and enjoyed it.

In fact, I've not been to a professional production that was magic based that I didn't like.

AVOR

20. cynthetiq

I used to ride the train with Criss Angel when he was still a no one on Long Island. We originally met at Tanner's Magic Shop in NYC. He's a really nice guy and was fun to talk to.

I like Mac King. He reminds me of Harry Anderson who I really enjoyed watching his bits on Cheers before he got his own show Night Court.