1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Merle Haggard passed away yesterday--April 06, 2016

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Chris Noyb, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The death of Merle Haggard on his 79th birthday leaves a void that will never be filled. His lifetime contributions to Country & Western music, and music in general, are immeasurable. Some folks would be surprised to learn that some of the songs they really like--not recorded as C&W songs--were written by Merle Haggard.

IMO Mr. Haggard's passing ranks up there with the deaths of Hank Williams, Sr. and Johnny Cash. I consider those three men to be the Greatest of the Greats. A solid argument could be made that other names deserve to be included on the GOTG list, but those are my Big Three selection.

The man was a fine songwriter, distinctive singer, and he was no slouch on guitar.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'm not the hugest country fan, but I do enjoy some of it, especially a lot of his old stuff. Every time we go to Nashville I request "Mama Tried" and "Working Man Blues".

RIP Merle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

I'm not a much of C&W fan either. Merle Haggard is one of the C&W artists who I consider "heartfelt." IMO there aren't many who are in his class, esp. "newer" C&W music.

4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

whose gonna fill their shoes?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

6. Chris Noyb

No one that I know of. IMO the last living member of the old school of heartfelt C&W is Willie Nelson.

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

• Like Like x 1
  8. redux

redux Very Tilted

• Like Like x 3