1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Merry Christmas or Happy holidays

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Dec 10, 2011.

?

what do you prefer

Poll closed Jan 28, 2012.
  1. Merry Christmas

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Happy Holidays

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Don't celebrate the holidays for whatever reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't really care

24 vote(s)
    45.3%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

First of all, i dont mean to offend anyone on here.

When i was a kid i never remember anyone saying happy holidays, but now its everywhere. at what point did it become politacially incorrect to say merry christmas?
    Whats your opnion

2. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

Merry Christmas
    I don't know when it happened but I guess that the effort, at least in the begining, was to be all inclusive. I perfer to offer greetings for the holiday(s) as they are.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ralphie250

i feel the same way, but how do you know if you cross the preverbal line with that individual?

4. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I'm a pragmatic agnostic raised by a Jewish mother and recovering Catholic father and I say Merry Christmas. Once in a while, taking cues from others, I might say Happy Holidays, but MC is habit. My cards do say Happy Holidays because I send them to the Jewish side as well and I am too cheap to design and print two different sets.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It depends on who I'm talking to. A number of people I know are not Christians and have strong feelings about Christmas. They would rather celebrate Festivus. So there I would say Happy Holidays. One of the families I've worked for celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas, and so depending on where Hanukkah falls, I may say one of three options. They got me into Hanukkah despite not being Jewish (I'm just there for the food, mmm doughnuts and latkes). But around the church where I work, we start off wishing each other Happy Advent and then it becomes Merry Christmas.

6. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I pretty much take my cue from what people say to me. If they say "Happy Holidays," I respond in kind. Same with Merry Christmas. With family, it's always Merry Christmas. With close friends, we say Merry Chrismakwanzakah (and when ZombieSquirrel and I lived together, we had a Christmas tree and a Menorah.)

I work as a server, and when a table is leaving, I do my "have a great night" spiel, and usually add, "have a wonderful holiday."

• Like Like x 1
  7. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

For me, Christmas is a fun time of year to get together with family. Sort of like Thanksgiving, but with a gift exchange. I'm not religious. It has always been called Christmas, so that's what it is for me. I was going to vote "Don't really care", but what I don't really care about is if anyone is offended by "Merry Christmas".

8. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

I don't worry aboout crossing any lines.
    I will honor your right to beleive as you wish and as such will wish you a Happy (your holiday here). I haven't been to a church in some time due the hypocracy and bullshit I tend to see there, but I still beleive. I don't push my religion, I just beleive, and I think I deserve as much respect as I am being asked for.

Besides, I'm not selling anything so I don't need to be PC.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

I'm kinda tired of talking heads pretending this is a thing. It's not a thing. It's just more manufactured outrage over nothing.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays mean the same thing and can be used interchangeably. If someone chooses to be offended by either of these things, that's their problem to work through. I'm just trying to express a friendly seasonal greeting and warm wishes.

A long, long time ago, before I knew better, I had one of those things where all of my emails ended with a sort of signature, in the form of a quote attributed to Buddha. It was basically just a nice platitude, something about being happy or whatever (example: "being happy means having a happy attitude"). I thought it might be a nice way to let people know I put a value on happiness, I suppose. This was before I was out as an atheist, by the way. Anyway, I emailed an old friend about something, and he fired back a fourteen page rebuttal of the quote, condemning me for abandoning my love for Jesus and quoting chapter and verse of the Bible that proved the quote wrong. I thought to myself, "This douchebag didn't have to be offended by this. The quote itself could have just as easily been on the inside of a Snapple bottle cap or on a fortune cookie, and if it hadn't been attributed to Buddha, it never would have offended anyone." This is what I think of whenever a crusader for false moral outrage blows the horn to begin the battle to save Christmas in this fake culture war. They're choosing to be offended by nothing, so I don't value their not being offended.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Alistair Eurotrash

I don't really care what they call it. I like it when people wish me happiness at any time of year. It takes a twisted mind to be unhappy at that, surely!

Call it what you will - but why did you have to hold it during Yule? :D

Have a cool Yule, everyone!

• Like Like x 5
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's simple: "Merry Christmas" to those close to you who you know are celebrating Christmas, and "happy holidays" to everyone else. Because, you know, everyone appreciates "holidays," whether religious or not. Sometimes it's just a day or so off work because of labour laws.

There is way much to do about nothing over this. There is currently some controversy over this in the area of my hometown, where a policy was upheld, suggesting a particular public service not be so Christmasy. But it's not a policy stating "don't be Christmasy"; it's a policy against doing things to the public service, i.e. you can't go all Hanukah or Kwanzaa on it either. These same people are all up in arms about the "happy holidaying" of commercial areas as well. (Though you can't seem to get rid of the ear-bleeding music.)

Apparently, nothing motivates the political spirit of certain family members of mine more than a false sense of their religion being under attack. This despite the lion's share of the symbolism actually being Druidic, not Christian.

It would be nice if I could say that this all means there is nothing more serious to be concerned about — you know, such as no child poverty, no violence against women, no gay bullying, etc. But I can't. These things exist pretty much everywhere. Yet, there they go being all mobilized politically because their idyllic "Canadian" tradition is "under attack" because of those who should just "go back to where they came from" to celebrate whatever they prefer instead.

I'd like to see how their opinion would change if they spent just one day as a Jew or a Muslim in the same area. I really would. (This area consists of small towns and cities with small-town mentalities.)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Well, it is a thing with Christians. I got into a bit of a facebook back and forth with a Christian friend of mine. She posted on her wall

Her:

My reply:

Her reply back:

My last attempt at reason:
    I don't give a shit what it's called and I don't think non-Christians care greatly that it's called Christmas. The PC approach by non-secular government agencies is a bit unnecessary to be honest but as it really seems to piss off evangelicals, I say happy holidays with a spiteful grin.
    --- merged: Dec 10, 2011 9:26 PM ---
    Just have to share this gem from the same friend. She posted it on her wall today. I think this myth (aka flat out lie) is making the rounds.

I promptly debunked it of course. :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. Alistair Eurotrash

I think we need more of that, then! :)

Oh.. wait.. I meant ..

[​IMG]

I'm confused.

It was all OK until the Romans came.

• Like Like x 2
  14. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Perfectly put.
    That's all there is to say about this, in its entirety.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Yeah, like people are afraid to say Merry Christmas. I've been told Merry Christmas at least a dozen times in the last week in a variety of places.
    No fear, no terror, no retribution from the liberal cavalry.

I say, say whatever the fuck you want to say.
    And then give other people the same opportunity.

Fucking people.
    Spoiled brats.
    Merry fucking crassmas.
    That's what I say.

Love, mixedmedia.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ralphie250

I agree with mixedmedia. I brought this up because the other day I held the door open for an older lady and said merry christmas and she cussed my ass out saying it was holy holidays. I just said im sorry ma'am and took it like a man. I agree say whatever you want to fucking say, but watch out for the older women. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

It might be due to where I live but I don't believe anyone around here is in fear of saying Merry Christmas. In fact, it's been close to becoming law in the past, if I'm not mistaken. I think a few bills have tried to find their way through the state congress a time or two trying to legalize the use of Merry Christmas over Happy Holidays. Expressing Happy Holidays here is often met with either a cold shoulder or anger and a stern lecture. In other parts of the country it may not be a thing but it's taken very seriously here in the Southern US. I lived most of my life in CT where I don't ever remember it being an issue at all.
    --- merged: Dec 11, 2011 2:26 AM ---
    She probably forgot to take her Metamucil.
    --- merged: Dec 11, 2011 2:36 AM ---
    For the record, I say Merry Christmas. I've said it all my life. I love the Christmas season, the Christmas carols, the family get-togethers, the decorations, the exchange of gifts. But in my celebratory state, I am not considering the birth of Jesus. I have removed Christ from Christmas but then again so have my Christian counterparts. The bring trees in their homes like the pagans did, put blow up Santas on their lawns, shop excessively for meaningless gifts, and overindulge with the best of them. Christian hypocrisy is no different at Christmas than it is at any other time of the year.

18. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I've heard both my whole life. Everyone wants to believe Happy Holidays is recent, but it's not. I'll say either one, and not worry about it. After all there are other holidays during that particular season. ( I do tend to only say Merry Christmas on the 25th though )

19. Eddie Getting Tilted

I checked "don't really care" mostly because I hate holidays...all of them. I hate society telling me that I'm supposed to give special attention to this or that simply because it's a certain day. I don't even like birthdays because they've become just another built-up holiday that we're supposed to be extra nice to this person simply because it's a certain day.

I can appreciate a holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus, but Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. Or anytime during the winter. Also, Christmas is no longer the celebration of Christ's birth so it's even more irrelevant that it was before. It's a commercial, corporate fabrication that the sheeple follow blindly, maxing out their credit cards, buying gifts that no one needs all because "that's what you're supposed to do on Christmas."

I don't buy anybody in my family jack shit for Christmas. Why? Because any member of family or any of my friends could come to me anytime they need something and ask for and I would give it to them, free of obligation. And they know this. And it goes both ways. Every day is a giving day for me. It's not some special occasion, it's just the way I live. Christmas is bullshit, 100% bullshit.

Halloween is the same. And I don't want to start a big rant about Halloween, but I'll just say this; it's nothing but a bunch of entitled, spoiled little brats running around, knocking on doors demanding candy. Candy that will make them even fatter and unhealthier than they already are.

Here's what Rick Perry thinks about Christmas:

20. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I hope people here aren't offended by someone saying Happy Kwanzaa or Happy Hanukkah. You should be glad someone cares enough to wish you happiness, regardless of their religion.
    --- merged: Dec 11, 2011 3:05 AM ---
    Also come Christians don't celebrate Xmas either. The Puritans passed laws to make it illegal to say Merry Christmas or celebrate it. Then that darned old Constitution happened... Hooray gov't getting out of religion.