1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Miley Cyrus and Feminism

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Unless you've been living under a rock, Miley Cyrus has gained a fair bit of notoriety lately regarding a few things, namely, her lewd performance at an awards show (with Robin Thicke), her lewd new music video, and her lewdness in general.

It has resulted in a lot of flak both online and off, and it recently cumulated in an online spat with Sinéad O'Connor.

What has come to the surface is a deeper feminist issue: Is what the wholesome Hannah Montana has become in the twerking Miley Cyrus about empowerment or is it the result of a patriarchal music industry?

More recently, feminist icon Gloria Steinem weighed in with what seemed like a redirection away from specifics of Miley Cyrus and towards the actual problem: the industry, not one of its "products."

This, ultimately, comes down to a few key questions, including:

• Is Miley Cyrus demonstrating independence or empowerment, or is she "playing the game" designed by the industry as Gloria Steinem claims?

• Is Sinéad O'Connor right about the industry as declared in her (original) open letter?

There are other questions too, but I'm sure they'll turn up.

At first, I viewed Cyrus as self-aware and deliberate in her image-crafting. She's young, but I don't think she's an idiot, and she's not new to the entertainment industry. At the same time, I agree, in large part, with what O'Connor and Steinem say about the industry. I agree with Steinem specifically that Cyrus is "playing the game." I think Cyrus is aware she's playing a game that's exploitative of her as a woman and a performing artist, but that she's playing it nonetheless.

Ultimately, I think she knows what she's doing, and she's free to make the choices she makes. This does not mean, however, that I should respect that. I think stylistically, she has gone in an interesting direction, but in terms of magnitude, I think, perhaps, she has gone too far.

I don't see that as empowerment so much as realizing that sex sells, and then deciding to peddle it as a foundation for her new path her career has taken. That's not empowerment so much as, I don't know, selling out?

Playing the game indeed.

Some play the game, while others seek to change it.

What do you think?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Sex and gore sell; but not to me, in this case.

If Miley doesn't get provacative, someone else will. I's not like Sinaed O'Connor or Gloria Steinem weren't provacative in their own ways.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Firstly, I don't really care about Miley Cyrus. She's hardly the first female music artist to self-pander her image as a hypersexualized person. Back in the '80s when it was Madonna, it was called empowerment. I'm not so sure what's different about it now. Her age? Her history as a child performer? Her lack of grace? Her, I will say it, inferiority as an artist? (she kind of sucks).

I haven't read Sinead's or Steinem's observations and I don't have much of an inclination to. Of course Miley Cyrus is 'playing the game.' Just like everyone who is successful in the popular musics for the last several decades.

What I tend to object to more is the implication that she's 'out of control' and has 'gone too far' because she's too sexual or, probably more accurate to say, too outrageous, too hard in her sexuality which makes her seem unsafe. Whore sexual, rather than cute and rolling around naked in a bubble bath sexual. That sort of attitude raises my dander a bit. Particularly when it's ok for Robin Thicke to dance around in a video with stark naked women. There's a double standard for female sexuality, particularly when it comes to our 'entertainment industries.' And I will always call bullshit on that and stand up for any female who dares to challenge it.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am with MM on the objection to the "slut shaming" that has been happening. And I tend to agree that she is playing the game that the industry has set for her to play.

While I am not a fan of Cyrus, I can see that she does have talent (look for the video of her singing Jolene). My worry (for lack if a better word) is that by playing the industry's game she runs the risk of shortening her career. She runs the risk of being another disposable sexualised object. Of course, there is the chance that she could game the system in such a way as to stay in control (the way Madonna has) but the truth is, there are very few who have managed to stay on top and in control to the extent that Madonna has...

5. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

That is true. That is because women are disposable sexualized objects - whether you are talking about Miley Cyrus or Hillary Clinton. All women in the limelight have to deal with the public perception of their sexuality at some point. In that light I think it's totally natural that some women rail against that and try to take control of it. I think I probably would, were I in her shoes.

6. I think a lot of this boils down to the fact that she was seen as a Tween star for so long as a result of her role on the Disney Channel, so much that I'd go so far as to say that these are just her 'rebellious teen years' that she didn't get to have when she was actually a teen.

That said, it's her life, she's deciding to act in whatever way that she wants, presumable regardless of what others think of her. And no matter my opinion on her as an artist or my lack of opinion on her as a person, I have to give her props for that.

7. Elvis, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Madonna, Lady Gaga and a host of others all did the same. The next one will be a bit worse, or better depending on your point of view. There will be a whole new younger flock of sheep to follow whomever. And the press will treat the antics like it's never been done before. If Miley truly possesses talent we'll remember her in 5 years. If not, I hope she's saving her money.

8. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

My issue with Cyrus is that her videos make apparent that sex is simply used as a marketing tactic. Nothing else. And she's not the only one I have this complaint about. Robin Thicke is just as much of a tool to me.

Where with artists such as Gaga the sexual element is clearly a component of the overall artistic style of their creations, Cyrus does sex in a machine-like manner that lacks any appeal (did you see her MTV live performance?) and simply exploits teenagers' undeveloped hormones.

I can't say I'm a fan of Gaga's antics, but I can certainly value and respect skill when I see it.

Cyrus and Thicke are third-grade entertainers to me, who only do it for the money and not out of passion.

PS: I don't see any relevance between Feminism and this case. The Music industry is a game, and Cyrus is playing the crap out of it. People have done worse things for less money. Does it change that they're all figurative prostitutes? Not really.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. Baraka_Guru

Robin Thicke has received a lot of flak (at least online) regarding that song I keep hearing about but haven't heard.

Though there is largely a double-standard in the industry (and the world as a whole) as mixedmedia mentioned, depending on the community, some will give him a pass, some will enjoy it, while others will lambaste him.

The issue as it pertains to feminism is the question as to whether Cyrus is taking control of her sexuality (as a woman) in her modes of expression (i.e., it's good) or reinforcing/exacerbating (mainly male-driven) negative/harmful attitudes about women's sexuality more broadly (i.e., it's bad).

It's not merely a feminist issue; it's one that likely finds many feminists on both sides (the "it's exploitation" camp vs. the "it's empowerment" camp).

10. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

He's receiving flak because the lyrics of the song could, if one wished, be construed as endorsing date rape. That and about fitty million other pop songs.

That's not my beef. And, really, I don't have a beef. I'll dance to that song.

I don't see the point in saying, yeah, there's a double standard but some people will give him flak for it.
    If there's a double standard there's a double standard. That is the issue. Hello.

I've never tried to force this into being a feminist issue. But since it involves a female and the projection of her sexuality into popular culture, I hardly see how you can divorce it from feminism. Of course it has relevance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Charlatan

The exploitation vs. empowerment question will not be answered, ever.

If we didn't truly answer it with Madonna's video for Express Yourself, it will never be answered. My feeling is that the fun part of reading pop culture is, in large part, about tackling this question. Ultimately, if she is calling the shots and making the fat stacks who is to truly say where the exploitation (of Cyrus) lies?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baraka_Guru

I guess my point is that double standards are seldom black and white.

Whose standard are we talking about, right?

• Like Like x 1
  13. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

I wish people were talking about my music instead of Miley Cyrus's :-( :-( :-(

• Like Like x 7
  14. Take your clothes off and wear a dead squirrel on your head. C'mon dude, get with the times.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I share much of Charlatan 's sentiment above regarding "empowerment vs exploitation".

Over the past months I have become increasingly interested in gender-based issues. I've been reading up on rhetoric from the camps of Feminism, Men's Rights, and Egalitarianism. I believe I have some ways to go before I have a proper understanding of the main issues and the arguments from all three camps, so I don't want to involve myself in in-depth gender discussions much until my position in all this crystallizes itself.

Generally, though, my perception on this is that somehow the camps would have to mutually determine the importance of "Society" vs "Individualism" on a scale, before the Empowerment and Exploitation camps could come to an agreement on the Cyrus issue. Doesn't seem very likely, though.

PS: On a sidenote, I am starting to move away from both Feminism and Men's Rights, as their respective camps have significant militancy which severely convoluted a lot of the arguments they present (next to completely ruining the reputation of the movements). At this stage it seems I'll end up with the Egalitarianist camp.

16. Charlatan

I didn't think anyone was actually talking about her music...

• Like Like x 2
  17. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

arkana.jpeg

I love that part, you said what I was thinking.
    I have not read Sinead's or Steinem's comments.

As for Miley, I saw this as simply a publicity stunt because her level of grace and talent are not enough to cause her name to be spoken - either by mouth or by pen - nearly as much as she would prefer.

I can't really say the same for Robin Thicke, because I don't know how hard up he was for this publicity boost. Before this stunt, I did not know he existed.

18. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Let's say the double standard that made Bobby Brown a stud for dry humping the stage during his performances and makes Miley Cyrus a disturbing woman for twerking.

19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Yes, there's a double standard. Male singers draw little attention for flagrant simulated sex moves that will draw criticism for female singers. Let's not forget that the media and society in general loves controversy (I'm very surprised to see someone as talentless as Miley Cyrus mentioned on TFP).

I think that Miley Cyrus is trying so hard, too hard, to put Hannah Montana behind her she's forgetting about her music. But given her lack of talent, maybe shocking folks is the only way she can get attention and sell her music. That tactic worked very well for Madonna, although IMO Madonna had more talent (did I really just write that?). For the record I would not bother to walk across the street to see either one even if I had free tickets.

As the old cliche goes: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

20. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

arkana...i hope this incident reminds you that you are always a twerk away from stardom, sir.

as for the miley-matter: what mm and charlatan said earlier seems to me about right. the open letters about open letters were vaguely interesting...as was the brief period during which the twitterati seemed to feel compelled to stake out Important Positions on the matter before moving on to other things that made them feel compelled to stake out Important Positions on the matter before moving on to other things that made them feel compelled to stake out Important Positions on the matter.

a tough row to hoe, that.

• Like Like x 5