1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Movies you never get tired of...

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by hamsterball, Apr 6, 2014.

1. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

I'm watching Annie Hall for about the 400th time, and it occurs to me that there's a small subset of flicks that I can watch again and again without ever getting bored with them.

On first thought, I'd say a couple of those movies (in no particular order) would be:

1. Annie Hall
    2. The Birdcage
    3. Casablanca
    4. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951 version, not that Keanu Reeves crap)
    5. The Sound of Music
    6. The Music Man

And there are probably a couple of others as well. So what about everyone else? What movies can you stop and watch, no matter how many times you've seen them?

2. evaderum

evaderum Getting Tilted

Star Wars and Star Trek movies aside.. I never seem to get tired of watching Heartbreak Ridge

3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

In no particular order off the top of my head:
    0) Casablanca
    1) <Insert any Marx Brothers Film here>
    2) Arsenic and Old Lace
    3) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Excellent tale of pure avarice destroying all the characters involved and it has Gerald Mohr as well (Phillip Marlowe on the radio), who is one of my favourite voices to hear along with Frank Lovejoy from the show Nightbeat.
    4) Plan 9 From Outer Space
    5) DOA - The original in proper B&W (That colourised bullshit never should have happened to any film). No interest in the recent remake.
    6) M - 1931 Fritz Lang film starring Peter Lorre in a particularly unsavory role.
    7) Metropolis
    7) <Insert any Road film with Bob, Bing, and Dotti here> I am not counting the 1962 film Road to Hong Kong in this group.
    8) A Touch of Evil
    9) Citizen Kane
    10) The Third Man
    11) Manchurian Candidate (original of course)
    12) Von Ryan Express
    13) The General starring Buster Keaton
    14) Little Foxes starring Bette Davis and Herbert Marshall (Star of Man Called X on the radio a few years later)

And yes there are two colour films in that list if you count Road to Bali from 1953 and the Sinatra film. I can't help it if my taste in films runs toward quality and not this recent drek. I did get as far as 1965 with the outstanding Old Blue Eyes picture.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

OMFG!!...I had a whole list...and the FUCKIN' page moved. (wiped it out) :mad::mad:
    You want a list...go to Encore and all the damn pay TV channel...they'll have them all there.

Basically I've got TONS I watch over again & again...ad nauseam.
    I have no shame.

I know the lines...come out as part of my banter.
    Use analogies of situations in comparison to scenes.
    I even if recorded or using the DVR will watch scenes in slow-motion or replay certain parts.

If I can't sleep, I'll put one one in the background, even though I've seen it to infinity...and I'll sleep like a baby.

Maybe when I'm not pissed off and annoyed as hell...I'll list them out again...but you get the idea, I'm a media buff. :rolleyes:
    Shit, at least I don't post them up on YouTube or get even more fanboy oriented.

• Like Like x 2
  5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

With most movies if I've seen it a couple of times I'd much rather see something new.
    I know this is bad but there are so many good movies out there I haven't seen that watching the same thing over and over just doesn't do it for me.

That said there are a few movies I can watch, in some cases because the movie making is pretty, the writing sparkles or they are a guilty pleasure.

For writing:
    His Girl Friday
    Any of the Marx Brothers Movies
    Monty Python and The Holy Grail
    Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead

Pretty:
    Terminator 2
    The Adventures of Robin Hood -- Though it has good writing too "Why you speak treason!" "Fluently."
    7 Faces of Dr. Lao (if you haven't seen this do. It was the last movie George Pal directed.)
    Matrix

And guilty
    Knightriders (a George Romero movie not about zombies)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jon Quixote

Jon Quixote Vertical

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I've seen it dozens of times, read the comics, know all the names, everything. I don't know why, but that's the one movie I never get tired of. Every plane or long car ride (when I'm not driving), I'm on my phone watching with headphones. Other than that... I've seen Shaun of the Dead, The Game, and a couple Wes Anderson and Miyazaki movies a few times, but mostly with people who haven't seen them. I'm sure there were some from before I started being so focussed on TV shows, and I'll probably remember them when I'm not so tired and curse myself for not writing them down, but there you go. So... I guess I would currently have to go with only Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, at least until I remember some others I wouldn't mind re-watching this weekend.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Oo! Scott Pilgrim vs. the World! I saw this thread earlier in the day whilst I was at work and started mentally creating a list. Can't believe I forgot that one. It's a great movie isn't it?
    Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz are two other movies I didn't think of that I rewatch on occasion.
    As for my mental list, here's what I remember from what I came up with...
    1. Fight Club
    2. Boondock Saints
    3. Bad Boys 1 & 2
    4. ...
    (there are more I'm watching a tv series and can't concentrate right now):D

• Like Like x 1
  8. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I've watched The Princess Bride more times than I can remember. I've even watched it in Spanish a few times, to mix things up.

I also seem to never get tired of Wet Hot American Summer and Empire Records.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Mony Python and The Holy Grail.
    Blade Runner. Both versions.
    The Last Waltz. Even after reading Levon Helm's book This Wheel's On Fire, which I very much enjoyed.
    Angel Heart.
    Kentucky Fried Movie. The best two opening lines ever in a comedy/farce.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Man, I think that's the only time I thought Renee Zellweger was dead sexy, was when she was singing in Empire Records.

11. redravin

She was pretty hot in Chicago, too.

[​IMG]

12. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Never saw it.
    Does she sing in it?

13. redravin

Yep, it's one of the better jobs of taking a classic Broadway musical and making it into a movie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

1. Predator
    2. The Naked Gun
    3. Aliens
    4. The Thing (1982)
    5. Commando
    6. The Dirty Dozen

• Like Like x 1
  15. redux

redux Very Tilted

A Hard Day's Night
    Annie Hall
    Kelly's Heroes
    The Commitments
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Adventures of Robin Hood

• Like Like x 1
  16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Say Anything
    The Transporter
    Alien and Aliens
    Pitch Black
    Fight Club
    Goonies
    The Breakfast Club
    Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
    Pulp Fiction
    and, I swear as a kid, I saw The Man from Snowy River at least 50 times.
    I loved horses.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I swear I answered this already.

Labyrinth

Who's That Girl

• Like Like x 1
  18. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Agree with Pulp Fiction.
    And I never have turned the channel when Austin Powers is on.

19. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I should watch this film at some point. It would make an ideal candidate for my "Movie Review Based Solely on a Trailer" idea first though.

20. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Watchmen: Ultimate Cut. Upwards of four hours of grandiose, self-indulgent, head-up-its-own-ass, dark, brooding, pseudo-philosophical pontification on the human condition, all wrapped up in a pretty, colorful package and doused with Zack Snyder's magical semen.

• Like Like x 3