1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

My new toy....Canon Powershot A3300 IS pictures

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Speed_Gibson, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

These would be the first pictures I have taken with this camera, at least some of the better ones. Most of them are macro or close to it as I have focusing more on that mode with this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I like this one, my DSLR could not come close to this without a substantially nicer lens than it has currently[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Very nice :)

Especially enjoying the beautiful texture on rubber duck and printing detail on cartoon.

3. Speed_Gibson

Thank you. This camera has impressed me especially for the budget price with how well it does macro shots. I am liking the 720p video as well.
    Not completely thrilled with the admittedly nice '16 MP' still shots, but I will be the first to admit that I am judging this too harshly and comparing it to a much better and more expensive range. I am also firmly stuck in 'nothing but RAW mode' for digital pictures and this will always fail that standard by its very design.
    I liked the printing details as well on the graham cracker box, it really stands out and that was literally an inch away for that shot.

4. Speed_Gibson

I took some more pictures with this at a local park the other day.
    0) This was in a firepit
    [​IMG]
    1) My other camera
    [​IMG]
    2) This was in the same firepit
    [​IMG]
    3) Speaks for itself
    [​IMG]

5. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Don't be afraid to use flash in sunlight, it helps to fill shadows and get a more even exposure. Also, watch your white balance and white/black points,

6. Speed_Gibson

thanks will keep that in mind. I was trying to avoid blowing out pictures with flash I think. Trying to figure out the best way to use this level of equipment and where it has its strong points .

7. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

8. RogueGypsy

RogueGypsy Vertical

Ditto what MSD said.

Nice pics too. Macro can be a lot of fun with these little Canon point and shoot cams.

I'm pretty sure you can get even cleaner shots with a little tweaking. Try using a tripod/monopod instead of relying on the image stabilization in the camera and try reducing the resolution to medium. The later is counter intuitive, but it's my understanding that the image sensor is only capable of 7-8mp, the rest is software. Reducing the resolution, should reduce the noise and give you a cleaner result.

If you're really into using RAW and it's not an option in this cam (I don't know if it is), CHDK has some cool software you can load onto a card to enhance it's capabilities. It does nothing to the internal software, so any time you want to revert to the factory settings, just remove the card.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Happy shooting

9. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

RogueGypsy Wow ... almost makes me want to spend money again!

Speed_Gibson I'm liking these you took on Saturday ... especially the bottle label. Though It's nice to see it handling the softness of the dandelion clock. Have you been taking any more with this camera? On my GX8, the ability to get sooo close never failed to thrill me, knowing, as you indicated, that a slr lens to do that would be in a .. special league of glass. I am liking the overall look of these pictures. And heck ... that CHDK software got me jumping upend down, and I don't even own one!

All the best

10. RogueGypsy

RogueGypsy Vertical

Zen- I'm not sure about you neck of the woods, but around here, you can pick up one of the 'A' series Canons for $30-$100 used on Craig's List. If you can find an A520, they are my favorite. It's only a 5mp cam, but it takes better pics than my A550 (7mp) and my GF's A580 (10mp). And the older cams like the A520 have a removable lens ring that allows several add-on lenses and filters to be used.

Here are a few shots from my A550:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi Rogue ... I might just do that. The GX8 is very good, but there is a bit extra control which would be nice. And 5 mp can do miracles with the right camera. There are some pic I did with 5, and I don't think they'd have come out right with any other camera.
    Those pictures, by the way ... I like them a lot ... and that forest picture .. that was a night shot? Stars?

12. Speed_Gibson

My Canon G2 did/does wonders for a 4 MP camera. It had some "challenges" to work with typical of its price and release date like slow shutter speed, only supports older CF cards, etc., but some of my all time favourites were taken with that camera. Only has 3 or 4 dead pixels still and it is a a solid 10 years old now.

13. RogueGypsy

RogueGypsy Vertical

Thanks Zen. I'm no photographer, but I like to act like I am.

The forest shot is my back yard, literally, I shot it standing on my back porch. It is a night shot using an open shutter for 5-7 seconds and +1 or +2 on lighting. I took around 100 shots looking for the right combo to get the effect I was looking for at night. Of course a tripod is essential, but I kept getting a little blur even with the tripod, until I started using the shot delay so the shutter didn't open until my hand was off of the camera.

14. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

The sensor has that many discrete receptors on it, but 16MP on a 1/ 2.5"P&S sensor diffraction limits at f/0.7 and unfortunately setting it lower still interpolates instead of pixel binning.